Experiments with Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shootr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Haven't posted in a while, just been cooking the same old, same old.

Got ahold of the last packer in the market (don't have the will to endure a Costco trip these days...) yesterday.

Test #1: My own injection marinade. worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, water, and melted butter. Stained the meat something fierce lol. Rubbed it with SPOG on the outside.

Test #2: My flats are always too dry, so this time I cut the big loose piece of the point, and pinned it on top of the thin part of the flat. Want to see what, if any difference it makes.

Test #3: Smoking it on a baking sheet to capture and contain the juices.

I have three temp probes in it to keep an eye on the different parts. Currently hanging out in the stall, monitoring the pan in case some water is needed (so far no).

IMG_20200412_111136-01.jpeg
IMG_20200412_111233-01.jpeg

I don't know what you're cooking on, but I'm thinking that 1) the flat will act as a heat shield for the point. Or, 2) the point may protect the inside face of the flat from drying. Are you planning on doing any rotating of the pieces to build some color?

Reactions: Shootr
I don't know what you're cooking on, but I'm thinking that 1) the flat will act as a heat shield for the point. Or, 2) the point may protect the inside face of the flat from drying. Are you planning on doing any rotating of the pieces to build some color?

It's a pellet grill. Yeah, not sure if the pan is a plus or a minus. I tented the flat with some foil as it's coming out of the stall way quicker than the point. If it gets to temp and probes tender I may just bite the bullet and cut the flat off to rest, and let the point finish. Haven't been doing any turning - I'll see how it turns out. The topside bark is looking great though!

Guinness beer and a Leprechaun beard who could argue with that combo. Have fun and enjoy. It looks like a nice day there.

Chris

Haven't posted in a while, just been cooking the same old, same old.

Got ahold of the last packer in the market (don't have the will to endure a Costco trip these days...) yesterday.

Test #1: My own injection marinade. worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, water, and melted butter. Stained the meat something fierce lol. Rubbed it with SPOG on the outside.

Test #2: My flats are always too dry, so this time I cut the big loose piece of the point, and pinned it on top of the thin part of the flat. Want to see what, if any difference it makes.

Test #3: Smoking it on a baking sheet to capture and contain the juices.

I have three temp probes in it to keep an eye on the different parts. Currently hanging out in the stall, monitoring the pan in case some water is needed (so far no).

View attachment 439842View attachment 439843

Love the pics. Something tells me we’d be friends.

Sit around, have a couple good beers and BS.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I'm as curious as the next guy as to how to will turn out. I'm curious what stogie you are enjoying there??? I would be having one myself but the MIL isn't a fan so out of respect (and my own sanity) I passed today.

I'm as curious as the next guy as to how to will turn out. I'm curious what stogie you are enjoying there??? I would be having one myself but the MIL isn't a fan so out of respect (and my own sanity) I passed today.
Diesel Rage - I like stronger ones with the Guinness. My MIL is awesome, spent 10 days with her in Montana last summer - not only did she not mind them, she pointed me to a great neighborhood watering hole to enjoy a beverage with them.

And the results are in:

1) Marinade sucked balls. I figured there would have been plenty of salt with those ingredients - nope. Sticking with Kosmo's from here on out.

2) The point on top of the flat - not worth the effort. The point turned to leather, but the flat was great. But ugly. Big gray spot instead of the bark. The rest of the attached point was very tender as well.

3) Kind of like the baking sheet. About 2 cups of liquid captured, 1 cup after separating most of the fat. The first 2 inches of the flat were tender, but not dripping. As with most, the further back I sliced the better and better it got.

So, I'll have to keep some salt or sauce at the ready when I have some, but at least I didn't ruin it. Time for a John Bull Dark Hour and a Snickers bar!

As always any and all comments and critiques are welcome.

IMG_20200412_155213-01.jpeg
IMG_20200412_163421-01.jpeg
IMG_20200412_155848-01.jpeg

Diesel Rage - I like stronger ones with the Guinness. My MIL is awesome, spent 10 days with her in Montana last summer - not only did she not mind them, she pointed me to a great neighborhood watering hole to enjoy a beverage with them.

Very nice choice. In prefer the stronger ones myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky