Dutch oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Hi all,
I was wondering if others here own a Lodge cast iron dutch oven. I've had a cheap enamel clad dutch oven for years. I finally had to replace it because it got dropped a couple
weeks ago. And the enamel like exploded. So, I bought a 7 quart Lodge dutch oven. Which got delivered a little while ago. I am seasoning right now along with my CI pan. It is already seasoned. But I want to keep building it up. I'm hoping I made a decent purchase

PB120017.jpg

Have several from 10"-16". As long as you keep them seasoned will last a lifetime. If you are going to store it in a non-heated area, place a chopstick or pencil between the lid and the oven. Moisture will build up with temp swings and create issues.

Reactions: Steve H
Have several from 10"-16". As long as you keep them seasoned will last a lifetime. If you are going to store it in a non-heated area, place a chopstick or pencil between the lid and the oven. Moisture will build up with temp swings and create issues.

That's a great tip. But, it will be stored indoors in a heated area. I'm keeping that in mind though. My other CI pans are close to 35 years old. And are just as good as any non-stick surface. With a little care they last .

I have one of those. Amazingly enough I have used it more to bake bread in than anything else. Good heavy pan. :emoji_cat:

my wife has a couple of them, but I couldn't tell you the brand names or sizes. I do keep them under lock and key though they really hurt when thrown properly.:emoji_persevere:

Reactions: ofelles
I have one like that, loved using it until I got an Instant pot. Haven't used it for a couple of years now.

Reactions: JC in GB
Hi all,
I was wondering if others here own a Lodge cast iron dutch oven. I've had a cheap enamel clad dutch oven for years. I finally had to replace it because it got dropped a couple
weeks ago. And the enamel like exploded. So, I bought a 7 quart Lodge dutch oven. Which got delivered a little while ago. I am seasoning right now along with my CI pan. It is already seasoned. But I want to keep building it up. I'm hoping I made a decent purchase

View attachment 411376
You have done very well Steve. Quality all the way. Keep seasoning on regular basis and build up like you said. I use lard and put in oven @ 280 to 290 for an hour. Turn oven off and let it stay in there until cool.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky