Dukes Mayo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I tried grilled sandwiches with Hellmann's (Best) and was a no.
Tried it again once we Duke's in the fridge. Yeah, still a no. Butter or a no go.
I've done grilled ham and cheese with dukes on the inside, but the sandwich gets fried in real butter. I don't think you can improve on grilled cheese fried in butter.

Now I have heard the debates on Dukes, Hellman's and Miracle Whip (never tried MW). I have never been able to find Dukes here in the NE. Then in a PA Walmart I found some and had to get it. Used it a few minutes ago in some egg salad and.......This stuff is gross, kind of tastes like dirt. I am not sure I can even try it again. What is the appeal to you loyal fans?
Love you brother but your taste buds must be burned out - that Duke's tastes like what Hellman's USED to taste like when I was 10!!! The local supermarket was out of Dukes one day so I had no choice but to buy Hellman's and there is no comparison, in my humble opinion. I grew up loving Hellman's but they have cheaped out on the ingredients somewhere along the line. It's Duke's or nothing in my cave!

Maybe you are just so used to what you are used to that that's all there is to it?

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
Dukes got started in my home town Greenville SC. So growing up if somebody had anything else in fridge. They'd get the you're not from around here are ya. Remember first time I ate some coleslaw made with hellmans and I gagged and spit it in a napkin. It's all about what you grew up on.
My family was 57 sauce people and to this day if I even smell A1 anything eat taste like it.

Reactions: clifish
We use JFG for the most part but Dukes is good, have started buying the Dukes hint of Lime and really like it for a change of pace, going to try some side dishes with it soon

Man this thread hit pretty close. My mother -in-law prefers Kraft Mayo, she loves it. I wouldn't eat it. I prefer Dukes to everything else. Hellmann's used to be my go to but as mentioned by Spook, the recipie has been altered, plus Hellmann's is now owned by a Chinese conglomerate.
I tease my MIL all the time about her crappy taste buds. She will eat toast with 1/4 stick of butter on it. If she can see the bread she is not eating it. Same with mayo on a sandwich, she smothers everything with that stuff.
I will continue to give her what she prefers in mayo, but I will not eat Kraft or Hellmann's, it's Duke's or nothing.

Hellman's never touched my lips until I met my wife. Our family did Miracle Whip. This is a BIG deal here. We only order takeout from places that use Hellmans type mayo. Half the joints here use Miracle Whip. The struggle is REAL LOL.

I am only 50 but would agree that Hellmans seems less rich than I recall. Now that I have a SV I think I will do some eggs and roll my own.

Cheese is WAY more important than butter or mayo for grilled cheese (I like mayo tho). Blessed/cursed wife worked in our school kitchen and got turned onto gov't cheese AKA Land O Lakes Extra Melt. OMG.

Reactions: jcam222
I tried grilled sandwiches with Hellmann's (Best) and was a no.
Tried it again once we Duke's in the fridge. Yeah, still a no. Butter or a no go.
It's a keeper on grilled cheese in place of the butter .
Give this a look . May or may not be something you like . It's good stuff .

I think mayo is one of those regional things.
Dukes and JFG in our house. Miracle Whip will end up fermenting in the fridge cause nobody eats it.

It's a keeper on grilled cheese in place of the butter .
Give this a look . May or may not be something you like . It's good stuff .
May have to try that, I always used butter for the nice browning it puts on the bread.

Reactions: chopsaw
Does the raw egg add any Salmonella risk to home made mayo?
Yes, there is a limited risk in using raw eggs in any preparation. As I recall, the FDA has stated that may exist in 1 of 20,000 eggs, but nobody wants to be the person that gets that 1 bad egg.

The citric acid in lemon juice, or acetic acid in vinegar, negates that risk significantly, and salt helps as well.

I've been making homemade mayo as well as other items calling for raw egg yolks such as classic Caesar salad dressing for decades and have never had an issue nor have those who have consumed what I've made.

If you still have a concern you can buy pasteurized eggs or, as jcam222 mentioned, simply pasteurize your eggs.

Yes, there is a limited risk in using raw eggs in any preparation. As I recall, the FDA has stated that may exist in 1 of 20,000 eggs, but nobody wants to be the person that gets that 1 bad egg.

The citric acid in lemon juice, or acetic acid in vinegar, negates that risk significantly, and salt helps as well.

I've been making homemade mayo as well as other items calling for raw egg yolks such as classic Caesar salad dressing for decades and have never had an issue nor have those who have consumed what I've made.

If you still have a concern you can buy pasteurized eggs or, as jcam222 mentioned, simply pasteurize your eggs.
We simply do not use mayo enough to make our own, it would have to be tossed after each use. Any sandwich I make either has spicy mustard or 1000 isle dressing on it instead of any plain mayo.

I grew up on Hellman's and still enjoy it today. I have tried Duke's and didn't find it better or worse than Hellman's. But I did notice that, if allowed to dry just a bit, it turned translucent which weirds me out. Hellman's does not do that. I also like the Kewpie mayo. Used to be only seen in a few Asian stores but now it's stocked in most normal grocery stores.

I've tried the grilled cheese with mayo thing, and both myself and my wife agreed it wasn't as good as the butter version. How could it be?

Butter version:

IMG_2826.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky