Dukes Mayo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Now I have heard the debates on Dukes, Hellman's and Miracle Whip (never tried MW). I have never been able to find Dukes here in the NE. Then in a PA Walmart I found some and had to get it. Used it a few minutes ago in some egg salad and.......This stuff is gross, kind of tastes like dirt. I am not sure I can even try it again. What is the appeal to you loyal fans?

You musta got a bad jar, as dirt is the last thing I could use to describe the flavor. Odd. Keep in mind it's sugar free so maybe that's what is missing for you.
jar was sealed and it looked OK, I had to add Arby's horsey sauce to save the sandwich.

I agree with mr_whipple mr_whipple . something is not right. Deffinatly not a dirt taste to dukes. I would describe it more "rich" when comparing to hellmans. Kind of like the difference between a really bland egg with a light colored yolk and one raised in your back yard with a dark rich flavored yolk....

Interesting. Did you try tasting the Dukes by its self? I don't find it to be wildly different than Hellmans or Blue Plate. I read somewhere once that one of the differences is that they use more egg yolks.

Interesting. Did you try tasting the Dukes by its self? I don't find it to be wildly different than Hellmans or Blue Plate. I read somewhere once that one of the differences is that they use more egg yolks.
When I recover I will do a side by side off a spoon.

Cliff, your bad taste experience was maybe due to expectations. Consciously or subconsciously, you were expecting something different, something amazing and it didn't meet those expectations. Many times reality doesn't live up to the hype, but Duke's is still king in my book...

Cliff, your bad taste experience was maybe due to expectations. Consciously or subconsciously, you were expecting something different, something amazing and it didn't meet those expectations. Many times reality doesn't live up to the hype, but Duke's is still king in my book...
IDK, I was expecting the twang, but not this much. I might try making a tarter sauce to see and will do a plain side by side test at some point. I want my wife to try it as well, but knowing what I know about her taste profiles I don't think it will go good.

IDK, I was expecting the twang, but not this much. I might try making a tarter sauce to see and will do a plain side by side test at some point. I want my wife to try it as well, but knowing what I know about her taste profiles I don't think it will go good.
Have you tried Kewpie(Japanese) mayo? I actually prefer it sometimes over Dukes.

Have you tried Kewpie(Japanese) mayo? I actually prefer it sometimes over Dukes.
Have not, I doubt I will find that up here. I actually almost never use mayo unless I am making egg salad or tarter sauce and never on any kind of sandwich.

Any Asian market should have it. Amazon also has it.
1634318796097.jpeg

Reactions: Marknmd
Might say a few things about me and my tastes..
It's funny how you taste something and if it's not what you expected it's awful . Like thinking you're getting a drink of water but turns out it's 7up .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky