Dukes Mayo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We use kraft mayo, cuz that's what the wife likes, it's fine with me and it's what we're used to. I'll buy a small container of miracle whip for hunting season... it's what the guys like on sandwiches. Did order Dukes online and we did a blind taste test and both really liked the Dukes... wasn't hard to tell which was which. But it's a pain ordering it online, more expensive, and not always in stock.

Now I have a craving for a grilled cheese sandwich! If we go to Pizza Ranch for the buffet, I might have one slice of pizza with pineapple on it... good for at least a year then!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
MW is actually "dressing" and not mayo. It has it's place but not as mayo IMO. IE cole slaw. You can try and add more vinegar and sugar and use say Hellmans or Dukes but it's just not the same. I would use Hellman's for tater salad tho.

Hellmans DID change. https://slate.com/human-interest/20...as-something-changed-in-unilevers-recipe.html

This has got me thinking about adding a pasteurized egg or yolk to a jar...

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
Now I have heard the debates on Dukes, Hellman's and Miracle Whip (never tried MW). I have never been able to find Dukes here in the NE. Then in a PA Walmart I found some and had to get it. Used it a few minutes ago in some egg salad and.......This stuff is gross, kind of tastes like dirt. I am not sure I can even try it again. What is the appeal to you loyal fans?

I don't care much for Duke's either. I mean, a LIGHT schmear on a sammy is "OK", but there's a kind of almost "greasy" back-flavor to me. I refuse to use it in potato salad or anything like that.

I USED to prefer Kraft mayo, but they managed to screw it up YEARS ago and it tastes like something about halfway between mayo and MW (blech!), so I switched to Hellmann's...and JUST IN CASE Hellmann's decides to screw around with THEIR mayo, I have a recipe for homemade (after a LOT of tweaking) that, to me, is pretty darn close to it.

Pretty wordy there for mayo, but I take my mayo seriously (maybe a bit TOO seriously!). :emoji_wink:

Reactions: Marknmd
When I was a kid folks said it was made from salad dressing - supposed to be a "cheaper" alternative to mayonnaise...

Yep - Kraft invented Miracle Whip in the early 1930s during the Great Depression as a cheap alternative for mayonnaise for the folks who could no longer afford it. The Depression "officially" ended in the late 1930s, but the beat lives on for many.

Yep - Kraft invented Miracle Whip in the early 1930s during the Great Depression as a cheap alternative for mayonnaise for the folks who could no longer afford it. The Depression "officially" ended in the late 1930s, but the beat lives on for many.
Tasted it once and that was all it took - never again.

I don't care much for Duke's either. I mean, a LIGHT schmear on a sammy is "OK", but there's a kind of almost "greasy" back-flavor to me. I refuse to use it in potato salad or anything like that.

I USED to prefer Kraft mayo, but they managed to screw it up YEARS ago and it tastes like something about halfway between mayo and MW (blech!), so I switched to Hellmann's...and JUST IN CASE Hellmann's decides to screw around with THEIR mayo, I have a recipe for homemade (after a LOT of tweaking) that, to me, is pretty darn close to it.

Pretty wordy there for mayo, but I take my mayo seriously (maybe a bit TOO seriously!). :emoji_wink:
Like a person who takes mayo seriously..........

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT and TNJAKE
I just recently saw a show on food network about this. I don’t remember the numbers but it was massively cheaper like 10cents a jar vs a dollar for mayo, and it was shelf stable.

Now I have heard the debates on Dukes, Hellman's and Miracle Whip (never tried MW). I have never been able to find Dukes here in the NE. Then in a PA Walmart I found some and had to get it. Used it a few minutes ago in some egg salad and.......This stuff is gross, kind of tastes like dirt. I am not sure I can even try it again. What is the appeal to you loyal fans?
Well, I haven’t noticed a dirt taste. Switched from Hellmans or Burmanns (from Aldi which I kinda like over hellnans though it’s a bit thinner) when my GF (she grew up in Maryland) and I found Dukes at the Weis store here in central Jersey. Just Weis, other chains don’t have it.

I tried grilled sandwiches with Hellmann's (Best) and was a no.
Tried it again once we Duke's in the fridge. Yeah, still a no. Butter or a no go.

I do not care for Avocado flesh either. However, I can use Avocado oil.

I've tried using mayo on a GC...nope! Out of butter (real butter), no GC for me.

I use margarine for precisely TWO things...garlic/cheese bread and as a spread on pound cake.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I use Dukes instead of butter frequently, grilled cheese sandwich browned in it is delicious, you can easily fry an egg in it also.
The egg added is scrambled and makes more of a “Count of MonteChristo “ style sandwhich. It’s like a fried hot sandwich on French toast.

I've tried mayo on a grilled cheese sandwich. Way too greasy for me. I'll stick to butter, as well.

I was given a bologna sandwich on white bread smeared with Miracle Whip almost every day as a kid. I didn't know there was any difference except the price between MW and mayo. It was only after I went to uni that my roommates pointed out the difference. Wow. I think I'd probably hurl if I had to smell or taste MW again.

Once married, my wife insisted on Best Foods Real Mayo. No problem, until the price spiked beyond anything I'd pay. I started making my own, explored copycat Duke's recipes, and now I have zero interest in the Best Foods Mayo, either for cost or taste.

As far as the Dukes tasting like dirt? I'll bet there's a good chance someone dumped turmeric in the mixer instead of paprika, which is in Dukes. Turmeric tastes like dirt to me.

Just a thought.

Ray

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky