Dry Cured Chorizo

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by bratrules, Aug 22, 2011.

1. bratrules

bratrules Smoking Fanatic

Well i have been wanting to make dry cured sausage for awhile now so i did my research on-line and i decide it was time to give it a shot and here is what i got. and damn is it good!!!!!!!!

Here it is fermenting

[​IMG]

after fermentation

[​IMG]

after curing for 2 weeks at 55 degrees  and 75-80% humidity

[​IMG]

and the finished product!!!

[​IMG]

man its good!!!!!

2. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

[​IMG][​IMG]  Man I could go for a plate of chorizo and eggs right now! 

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Beautiful...I need more TOYS!...JJ

4. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man I need to get into this program soon as I retire I am looking forwared to building a curing chamber

5. bratrules

my chamber is a crappy mini fridge it works for small production the cool thing that because its so small humidity is easy to maintain. next up some lomo and salchichon de vic!!

6. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    very nice.........care to share the recipe/formula?

7. moikel

moikel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks exactly like the one made by the Portugese butcher in the next suburb to me. And hes been doing it for years,with a full pro set up. Nice job.

8. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great Job BR they look real tasty! I hope to be tring some in the near furture. thanks for sharing the View.

9. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Oh yeah thats how ya do it......Nice

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

How do you control the humidity?

11. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice can we have more details (like meat spices ,,,,,)

12. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Did you smoke it ? Can you smoke it ? It takes courage to do the dry stuff....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  13. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks like the authentic European stuff!

Good luck and good smoking.

14. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'm impressed...killer looking chorizo

15. bratrules

My recipe it simple i just use Spanish smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, and a bit of dextrose . And bactoferm f-lc. And 3 pounds of pork half i put through the grinder and the other half chopped by hand. oh and to control humidity i use a small computer fan in the fridge. also i was told on a different forum to hang a damp towel for humidity and it works like a charm.

here's some pics of my lunch today using the chorizo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bratrules

Oh and sorry i forgot to mention that this is un-smoked  but u can cold smoke it if you like since i cant cold smoke it yet i haven't tried it!!

17. bratrules

Man my first batch of chorizo was so good i already have the second one fermenting right now!! here is a pic..

[​IMG]

18. daggerdoggie

daggerdoggie Smoke Blower

Looks great! Another something I am going to have to try.  Thanks for sharing.

19. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That's awesome!

I want to try dry curing pepperoni, but have been a little intimidated by the temp & humidity requirements.

You make it look easy.

I don't think I'm ready yet, but will keep reading & eventually will take the plunge.

20. bratrules

SmokinAl as long you read up on things and have some knowledge of what your doing it is pretty easy. i use a cheap mini fridge that was given to me all you need is a solid recipe and a bit of know how and your more than half way there!!! oh be a real clean freak about things!!! thank god for Star-San lol