Dry Brine/Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Well I gotta jump in here & say that a dry cured pastrami has a better texture & flavor than a wet brine. Use this calculator to determine the correct amounts of salt, sugar, & cure #1.

DiggingDogFarm
Then you can add whatever spices you like, I usually just add pickling spice, it has everything in it.
Good luck,
Al
Hi All Question for 1.5 flat how long for the dry brine? Pickling spices along with the dry brine?
Where is Al when you need him???
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi Dan. General rule for dry rub cure is the cure will penetrate 1/4 inch per day so 1/4 inch per side per day and adding a couple days as a safety measure means it would be fully cured in 5 days. I generally let it cure for close to 2 weeks though to allow any moisture that's extracted by the salt and cure to be reassured by the meat. For the pickling spice I grind it to a powder and apply it after I apply the salt sugar and cure mixture then vac seal it. Once it's cured I rinse the ground spice mixture off and cook as is for corned beef or apply a more traditional pastrami spice blend before it heads for the smoker. Hope that info helps

Reactions: DanMcG
Hi All The 1.5 lb brisket flat is now wrapped in the brine= cure 1.7 grams,salt 12 grams, sugar 6.8 grams + Mc Cormicks Pickling spice= Cinnamon, Allspice, Mustard Seed, Coriander, Bay Leaves, Ginger, Clove, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Mace, and Sulfiting Agent.
Now the wait.
Dan

Reactions: wild west
Hi All
OK Then 5 days it is..Then rinse apply pastrami rub rest for 24 hrs then into the smoker for 4 hrs then steamed, till probe tender.
Am I right on track?
Thanks Dan

Pastrami Update: After four days wrapped in the dry brine I had too unwrapped it..I rinsed it off and applied the pastrami rub (cracked black pepper mustard seeds & coriander) also sprinkled some paprika & garlic powder.Going to let it rest uncovered in the fridge. Going to smoke with hickory and then steam it.I had to unwrapped,after 4 days cause the weather is getting very cold after tomorrow.
Dan

Checking for saltiness, too salty then it gets a soak in ice cold water water for an hour or so, retest and re-evaluate salt content. In your case I would think a fry test would give you an idea how the pastrami will taste. If you find it’s too salty and need to soak in ice cold water to reduce the salt content then your rub is gone and will have to reapply.

Hi Dan,
I just saw this & it doesn’t matter to me how thick the brisket is, I always let it cure for 10-14 days. If you use the DD calculator it doesn’t matter if you leave it in a few days longer. In my opinion a few days longer gives it a better flavor. Sorry I haven’t been on as much as usual, life gets in the way, but you can always PM me & I’ll get right back to you.
Al

Hi Al I had to proceed only after 4 days. Because I want to smoke it and the weather here doesn't look too good, after tomorrow. Also I was under the impression the dry brine goes into the meat at 1/4"rate per day.
Thanks Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_175757392[1].jpg
    IMG_20210121_175757392[1].jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 59
Hi Finally the pastrami is done. Smoked with hickory for 4 hrs then steamed til probe tender 200*.
Looks like the 4 day cure work, nice red pastrami color. Taste was a little on the spicy side for me.I don't know "IF" the spicy taste comes from the McCormicks' Pickling Spice= Cormicks Pickling spice= Cinnamon, Allspice, Mustard Seed, Coriander, Bay Leaves, Ginger, Clove, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Mace, and Sulfiting Agent, or pastrami rub=cracked black pepper,coriander& mustard seeds.
What would be your guess as to where the spicy taste came from.
Thanks Dan
PS I've eaten alot of pastrami in my time.None as spicy as this one?

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_092709927[1].jpg
    IMG_20210123_092709927[1].jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky