Dry Age Steaks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a 7 bone about 7 days into a 60 day age ATM and have done a few CAB 3 bones to 45 days.

You'll want to age whole roasts, not steaks themselves. There's a bit of trim loss when you dry aged and there would be nothing left if you did it with steaks.

You can do it with as little as a fridge with space that doesn't get opened all the time and has very good air movement around the roast in question.

That's a basic answer to your question. There's quite a few of us who have and do it so please post any follow-ups you might have :-)

Reactions: webs05
I have a 7 bone about 7 days into a 60 day age ATM and have done a few CAB 3 bones to 45 days.

You'll want to age whole roasts, not steaks themselves. There's a bit of trim loss when you dry aged and there would be nothing left if you did it with steaks.

You can do it with as little as a fridge with space that doesn't get opened all the time and has very good air movement around the roast in question.

That's a basic answer to your question. There's quite a few of us who have and do it so please post any follow-ups you might have :-)

Do you use the Umai Dry bags? I have a chest freezer that I can control the temperature and make it a refrigerator. I could dedicate it to aging beef . The bags seem easy but is that the best way? They seem too good to be true

I actually had typed an edit that I never completed. I don't personally believe that the Umai thing is dry aging. This is a hot topic debate I know but that's just where I stand on it.

That being said, I will be trying an Umai project someday just to compare I suppose :-)

So how do you do yours? Don't you have to control the humidity in the refrigerator when dry aging?

A unit with fan driven air in it will normally do a sufficient job. I use a commercial beverage cooler. The kind with a glass door. Al uses a dorm fridge.

@Holly2015 is a great resource for all of this info. Look around for threads with that author. Much will be learned :-)

I've done a brisket and ribeye rack with great results! The brisket was wild. I can't explain the juice that was pouring out of it. Never seen a brisket do that.

I followed Sous Vide Everything (YouTube) method with Umai Dry Age bags. Worked great and was really easy.

For your first time the Umai Dry Age bags will likely be easier than doing anything else and get you used to the process and loss of meat etc. I would try it. If you like it and don't mind waiting 45-60 days for your meat, go for the real deal and create a better system.

I did a big hunk of beef many years ago. Been so long I don't remember the cut. I assume it was boneless rib-eye as I used to get it dirt cheap.
I just put it in the fridge on a pan and flipped it once in awhile.
It went about 3 weeks.
I loved the intense flavor. Wife couldn't eat it.
Never repeated

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky