Dried Beef and CB, Part 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CSR

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Chicago
2 weeks is up!! Attached is a pic of the beef and the pork. The beef looks good, not sure how to know if pork is cured as it looks just like a raw piece.

Attachments

• 9A92ED50-5B90-4941-A925-1389F14B15A2.jpeg
    9A92ED50-5B90-4941-A925-1389F14B15A2.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 30
Fry test went well, I guess I'm doing this thing. Garlic, Onion, Pepper and into the fridge for the night. Start the smoke at 5ish tomorrow morning.

Sorry this is a late response and I can't offer any help, but how did it turn out?

Chris

Not bad, a little salty but overall good flavor. Need to slice some up tonight and vacuum seal the rest. I lost my fire at one point trying to keep the temp down, not sure if that had any impact.

I'll get some photos tonight.

Not bad, a little salty but overall good flavor. Need to slice some up tonight and vacuum seal the rest. I lost my fire at one point trying to keep the temp down, not sure if that had any impact.

I'll get some photos tonight.
For future reference concerning pork; if it's that rosy pink in the middle, that means the cure worked. <if that makes any sense?>

The rosy pink one is the beef, so I was confident in that one. The pork is the one that looks like.....pork. I’m assuming it was cured because is was a thinner cut....and I’m not dead.

The rosy pink one is the beef, so I was confident in that one. The pork is the one that looks like.....pork. I’m assuming it was cured because is was a thinner cut....and I’m not dead.
Well I guess that method also works. I mean not ideal, though I totally understand where you are coming from, I'm purposely letting my current batch of back bacon curing 2 days longer then I did the math for just because I'd rather not question it like I did the first time around. lol.

I went 2 weeks, so I was wayyyyy over.

Just have it in the back of my mind... how much stuck to my fingers or the plate when I measured it out.

I went 2 weeks, so I was wayyyyy over.

Just have it in the back of my mind... how much stuck to my fingers or the plate when I measured it out.
There's a method to it, but I figure an extra 2 days won't hurt. Especially because I am constantly convinced the stuff will be wrong. Also mini fridge for my curing fridge isn't exactly ideal temperature wise, so a bit extra to me seems like a good call ..

I do all mine at least 14 days . So I would say your right on .

If the temp is to high or to low , holding the meat longer isn't going to help .
I read some article on ideal curing conditions and how it can take longer if it's to cold to penetrate etc etc. I think some one here once told me flat out past 14 days is unsafe, but if it is ..I oughta be dead already right?

Better late than never. Didn't get many good pictures (gotta work on the lighting as well) but I ate a good chunk of each and the rest is in the freezer for now. Pulling out a pack of each for the weekend to make some sandwiches or other creations.

IMG_3603.jpg

Better late than never. Didn't get many good pictures (gotta work on the lighting as well) but I ate a good chunk of each and the rest is in the freezer for now. Pulling out a pack of each for the weekend to make some sandwiches or other creations.

View attachment 377410

Looks Real Good, CSR !!
This is the first I saw this Thread.
Maybe I could have helped---I did a Step by Step on making CB & Dried Beef together, about 7 years ago:
Here it is:
Canadian Bacon and Dried Beef

Bear

OK---Great---Glad I helped in some way.

Glad you're having fun & eating good stuff!!

Bear

View media item 554109Pulled my round roasts and pork loin out of the garage fridge yesterday afternoon - the loin had been in for 11 days and the round roasts for 13 days. I sliced them in half to check the color, everything looked fine. Then I sliced a piece of each for a fry test. The pork was a little salty so I soaked it for about 20 minutes to pull some of the salt out. The round roast was good. Followed Bear's step by step, dusted with black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder, sat over night in the fridge and hit the smoker this morning bright and early. Not sure the beef will be done by dinner but the Canadian bacon should - plan to fry some up with eggs if it is. Eager to taste the final product. Bear's recipes haven't let me down yet so confident all will be great unless I messed up somewhere. Will update with final product!

Last edited:
Seeing this thread reminded me of how I have used some of the CB and beef thus far:

CB on breakfast sandwiches and fried along side some eggs and potatoes
Beef sliced thin, chopped, and turned into an awesome cheese ball

At this rate I may need to start another batch. It will have to wait until I get a chance to make beef logs to go along side the smoked cheese I did.

Seeing this thread reminded me of how I have used some of the CB and beef thus far:

CB on breakfast sandwiches and fried along side some eggs and potatoes
Beef sliced thin, chopped, and turned into an awesome cheese ball

At this rate I may need to start another batch. It will have to wait until I get a chance to make beef logs to go along side the smoked cheese I did.

Sounds like a PLAN !!
Here's one of my favorite Party Treats:
Dried Beef Roll-ups

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky