Down for the count for a couple months

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow glad you guys are on the mend. When my daughter tore her acl and meniscus we were lucky and found an excellent surgeon and PT team. She tore it in the fall playing soccer and was playing softball in the spring.

Chris

Edit: Sounds like some of you guys need a bidet. :emoji_laughing:

Good to hear you were able to go for a walk! Bet it seemed about like a marathon for you.
And GaryHibbert GaryHibbert can you take a pic of his face when you show him? Bet that will be priceless.

Ryan

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Good to hear you were able to go for a walk! Bet it seemed about like a marathon for you.
It kinda did...I did a four house walk today. its gonna take some time, but really hoping to be on my mountain bike by mid summer. PT guys says I could ride now if there were no "emergency falls". And I cant guarantee that or anything close to it.

Might try the spin bike tho. I didnt gain any weight over the 8 weeks of pretty much zero physical activity - which I am very happy about. But the weight definitely "redistributed".

ill keep going a house more every day or so - soon I might make it around the block. funny how the goals readjust.

Update: PT released me from the boot and crutches. got the go ahead to work it 5X a day with my PT exercises and I can use leg machines at the gym. So long as there is no pain. Soreness will be lasting a while, but thats not a big deal he says. taking it slow tho. walked three houses down the street and back and that felt like a big walk :( I think it will come back fairly quick.
I remember when I shattered my tib/fib... 25 yards was a LOOONG walk the first week or so, but it progresses quickly.

Reactions: sandyut
Compared to you guys, sandyut sandyut and chilerelleno chilerelleno , my injury is nothing. After my "episode" with the skill saw 4 months ago, I asked my surgeon if she would chop my index finger off--it's completely useless, just gets in the way, and damned near freezes solid if the temperature drops below 70F. So Monday she's amputating it--believe me, I sure won't miss it.
A while back, my 4 year old grandson asked how my hand was doing. I told him about the finger and said I figured I might just throw it in the garbage. He stared at me with eyes the size a desert plate. Wonder what he'll say when he sees it's gone. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
Gary

OW! G'luck with the amputation, wonder if you'll have any phantom finger sensations?
I'd keep my finger in a jar of formaldehyde just to show my Grandkids :emoji_smiling_imp:

Last edited:
Baby steps. Happy to read you're cleared to go. Great recovery for an experienced person.

GaryHibbert GaryHibbert sucks losing a finger. Are they removing it all the way to the wrist?
I wipe with my left hand. It was torture with my left hand in a cast for 8 weeks.

GaryHibbert GaryHibbert sucks losing a finger. Are they removing it all the way to the wrist?
I wipe with my left hand. It was torture with my left hand in a cast for 8 weeks.
Nope. Just between the hand and the first finger joint. The surgeon said that by leaving a small stump would help with my grip strength.
Gary

Reactions: chilerelleno
The baby steps are fighting with my impatience and drive real bad.

the PT gave me the go ahead to ride the spin bike. Gave that a run today. felt better than walking. the joint is still incredibly stiff.

GaryHibbert GaryHibbert best wishes on the finger removal. sounds like you will be better off without it. I have known several folks missing a digit. they all are doing well. Hope yours goes smooth and you are better off without it.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
The baby steps are fighting with my impatience and drive real bad.

the PT gave me the go ahead to ride the spin bike. Gave that a run today. felt better than walking. the joint is still incredibly stiff.

GaryHibbert GaryHibbert best wishes on the finger removal. sounds like you will be better off without it. I have known several folks missing a digit. they all are doing well. Hope yours goes smooth and you are better off without it.
That joint will be stiff for quite a while. But just keep working and streatching the tendons and muscles and it WILL loosen up.
As for the finger, it's useless to me-continually gets in the way and hurts like hell when it't cold, so getting rid of it will be a blessing. The really neat thing is that I won't be put under, so that means I get to watch as she takes it off. Figure that will be interesting.
Gary

I had an accident up snowboarding yesterday. By the time I got home my ankle was swelling fast. the wife ran me down to the ortho clinic and sure enough i broke my leg - maybe in two places - on break is certain. Booted now, surgery Wednesday. getting some new titanium implants put in to hold everything it the right places. I think the doc said no weight bearing for at least 6 weeks. gonna miss wo month of the season, cooking is almost out of the question.

In an odd twist of fate - I had the same break on the same leg about 25 years ago. that one was much worse, it was super displaced and almost a compound fracture. spend 4 days in the hospital that time. this one is out patient and Im hoping they have better methods. the first surgery was the most pain i have ever felt.

Trying to recalibrate what I do but its hard. I usually do stuff all day...gym, dogs, cardio, snowboard and now on crutches and one leg.

just pissed, frustrated and sad.
Sorry to hear. I hope you have a speedy and pain free recovery as possible.

Reactions: sandyut
As the ankle rehab continued a pain in my knee kept getting worse…

Torn meniscus - surgery number two from the accident next week. Should be fast but man.…I could use a break from all this.

Torn meniscus - surgery number two from the accident next week. Should be fast but man.…I could use a break from all this.
Yeah, you could really use a break (no pun intended). My wife has a torn meniscus, but she refuses to let them fix it.

Sounds like you could use a rest from it all! And better luck! If it makes you feel better I had a buddy tear his meniscus a few years ago...playing with the kids on the inflatables in the city park!

Ryan

Bummer hope surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery

Well that's lousy. My BIL had that and got the surgery, rehab, etc. I feel for you. Hope the surgery goes well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky