And The Enabling Continues: Hey Civilsmoker, I Got A New Toy (Couple Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes, please! It seems like it would be a good one for someone like me who wants to learn!
The one Robert offered up is a great little welder to start out with. I have a similar one in addition to my Forney. I welded up my Copper Pot build with it, ie you can do some real fab (just not production) with one. I'm sure Robert will set you up if you want it!

Reactions: SherryT
A lot depends on the type of work you do, but I have really taken to like gas shielded flux core, AKA "dual shield".
It can be hard to find in smaller wire sizes and smaller roll sizes. Realistically it may not be an option unless you have a 250 or larger floor model MIG welder. But once you try it there is no going back.
It's very fast, faster than regular mig or flux core. It penetrates like stick welding, and it makes beautiful welds with the ease of using a caulking gun or hot glue gun. Welding vertical and overhead and bridging big gaps is a joy to do.

But then again when reading anything I suggest keep in mind I'm someone who works on rock crushers....

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
A while back I posted a few of the metal fabrication projects I'd done, one of which I believe was the 2nd cabinet smoker build. In that thread our very good friend civilsmoker civilsmoker posted links to several tools he had acquired, some of which I'd never seen or heard of. They are products by a company called Evolution and they specialize in steel fabrication tools, primarily saws. Two of those saws I ordered immediately and were delivered within a couple days. Those things made a huge difference in efficiency, quality, and most importantly, safety. All I had before getting those two saws was a Sawzall and 4 1/2" angle grinder to work with. Slow, tedious, and potentially dangerous so the new acquisitions made a massive improvement. Well, with all the stuff Tracy had me building for Christmas presents, it meant a lot of cutting angles...and I mean a LOT. One of the first saws I got could cut the angles but not on larger material and it was somewhat cumbersome. Did some searching and found a new toy that I just had to get. Gave most of my holiday bonus to Tracy to go do something fun (probably a weekend in Fredericksburg doing the winery tour) and used the rest to get this baby:
View attachment 653929
View attachment 653930
View attachment 653931

10" compound cross-cut steel cutting saw. Most of Steve's ( @Steve H ) enabling has been food related but this kinda goes a different direction.....that is unless I use it to build more smokers and grills. Then it would be indirectly related to food I guess :emoji_wink: It got here a couple days ago and I used it for the first time yesterday. Oh baby!!! I am loving this thing. The angles are far more accurate, clean, and precise. I'm almost to the point of getting the same detail as working with high-end wood projects. This is gonna be a game changer for sure.

Robert
That’s a really nice saw tx smoker tx smoker what type of blade is on it? I have used my compound saw to cut metal with a big metal blade like on a grinder but the blade doesn’t last very long.

That’s a really nice saw tx smoker tx smoker what type of blade is on it? I have used my compound saw to cut metal with a big metal blade like on a grinder but the blade doesn’t last very long.
Peachy, it’s an evolution steel cutting blade. I use the stainless blade (the yellow one) for my base blade it cuts like butter and lasts a long time. The orange one is the rage blade and they have just a steel blade blue.
265D8464-C6CC-4D50-9E06-8B5E1B1DFDC2.jpeg
3C5BBCC6-F205-4B0A-8204-D5A84C3599D7.jpeg

That’s a really nice saw tx smoker tx smoker what type of blade is on it?
Apologies for the delayed reply. Been out in the garage working on the new smoker. civilsmoker civilsmoker has you covered on the bladed but please see below.
Peachy, it’s an evolution steel cutting blade. I use the stainless blade (the yellow one) for my base blade it cuts like butter and lasts a long time. The orange one is the rage blade and they have just a steel blade blue.
Thanks for chiming in and helping smokin peachey smokin peachey with the info. I would like to expand on it though. From all that I've read you should NOT use the Evolution blades for cutting steel on conventional saws. The RPM's are too high and that creates a lot of friction and heat. The saws made for cutting steel are lower RPM and higher torque. This allows for more power to cut through the steel but the lower RPM means less friction, less heat, and less sparking. Some of their saws are very reasonably priced for what you get so if it's in the budget and you're planning to cut steel, I'd recommend looking into them. Medical bills on the other hand aren't reasonable in price and I'd hate to read about a mishap :emoji_wink: That would ruin your day as well as mine.

Robert

Apologies for the delayed reply. Been out in the garage working on the new smoker. civilsmoker civilsmoker has you covered on the bladed but please see below.

Thanks for chiming in and helping smokin peachey smokin peachey with the info. I would like to expand on it though. From all that I've read you should NOT use the Evolution blades for cutting steel on conventional saws. The RPM's are too high and that creates a lot of friction and heat. The saws made for cutting steel are lower RPM and higher torque. This allows for more power to cut through the steel but the lower RPM means less friction, less heat, and less sparking. Some of their saws are very reasonably priced for what you get so if it's in the budget and you're planning to cut steel, I'd recommend looking into them. Medical bills on the other hand aren't reasonable in price and I'd hate to read about a mishap :emoji_wink: That would ruin your day as well as mine.

Robert
Thanks for the info. Same rpm also applies to drilling. I’ve noticed a lot of people don’t realize that.

Thanks for the info. Same rpm also applies to drilling. I’ve noticed a lot of people don’t realize that.
All too true sir, all too true. People that have not spent a lifetime operating power tools like we have just don't realize that many tools are designed for a specific use and are not really interchangeable in a lot of circumstances.

Robert

Evolution has a whole econo line of low rpm tools for this….I have a chop and a skill saw…. The mitter like Robert is a dream……if you are going to do heavy production the. The 14 inch would rock. Hobby stuff the smaller works great! I used them to make both the copper pot and xfire

Evolution has a whole econo line of low rpm tools for this….I have a chop and a skill saw…. The mitter like Robert is a dream……if you are going to do heavy production the. The 14 inch would rock. Hobby stuff the smaller works great! I used them to make both the copper pot and xfire
I forgot I bought a metal cutting bandsaw awhile back. Thanks for the info.

I got into the 20v Max Dewalt ecosystem. I have all kinds of drills, saws and lights. Really nice to grab a tool slap a battery on it and go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky