Do you record/log all your cooks / recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do you log/record all your cooks and recipes

• Yes

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 71.9%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
Generally I do not. For better or worse…. Most meat cooks I do from memory and mods are based on what I have and what im feeling like. But recently I needed to find some sourdough add ins from the past and scored a big zero and had to start over. Not a big issue, just a slightly unnecessary PITA.

If you do log and record - what do you use?

I voted no, but that's for smoking.
Would be yes for baking.
I have all about 95% on my recipes in Excel.
I will make a note in the spreadsheet if I make a change, or just want to note how long it baked, etc.

Should really do it for BBQing I guess, but just never started.
There was a guy on the old not defunct pelletheads forum that wrote a program for keeping track of cooks.
Don't know if it exists anymore.

I generally do, many right here on the forum....if the site goes down so do many of my notes, but I have a mini recipe/cook book (my wife has a whole book full some with the whole meal timing spelled out) with many many cooks documented that I share with others and new smokers to help them start off on the right foot. I have also "gifted" several people Jeff Phillips smoking book as it has many good recipe's and methods as well.

Heck no. I'm a pinch of this, a couple dashes of that, and a few shakes type of cooker. I have a hard enough time posting the correct recipes here for goodness sake.

Chris

Nope. Wish I did more ofthen though. Made a *perfect* sauce for burgers and chicken and be darned if I can remember it now. lol my Instagram is about the only good source I have to look back on.

Getting better. Have a couple notepads laying around for notes and if it turns out good I transfer a "good copy" over to a collection of Moleskin notebooks.

Sausage making and ferments are all well documented however.

Record and log ALL? No.

New recipes and such, I'll take notes, once I like a mix, I'll take the notes and compile them.
I do exactly what the cranky buzzard said. Definitely not all but I do try to be diligent with notes on paper till I get something where I want it. Then I will print a paper copy and save a file. I use Word for general recipes and Excel for sausage mix so I can easily scale it.

I started making kind of a cook book for myself for some things. But meat I mostly just go from memory. Unless I have several ways to prepare different cuts or find something that really stands out.

I use to keep my own website up to date with my cooks but have gotten really lazy at keeping it up to date the last couple of years.

I have looked back here a few times when I want to remake something I have made before with all the details that I had posted here in my original thread.

A few times I have used my post here to update my own page.

I kind of use this forum. I will put stuff in a post so I can remember it next time. I love my paprika recipe manager 3. You just put the url of recipe in and then download. I mostly use the pc version but sometimes use android. Easy to search.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
I'm on a Mac so I use macgourmet. I continually add notes to each recipe. There's a mobile version you can keep sync'd so all your recipes are on your phone as well. Comes in handy while prepping, smoking/cooking and at the grocery to make sure you've picked up everything you need.

Been thinking about doing this. With the offset that Joel is building me I may start recording more stuff....So that when it gets passed down they will have a guideline. And so I can refer back to it for vent settings and etc.

Jim

Reactions: 912smoker
I certainly Do!
I have three children ( as well as other family members) who constantly call me for advice on preparing anything from:

What internal temp. . .To . . .Pizza, Canning, Sauces, Greek Dishes, Jerky, etc. etc. etc.
So, I prepared this for them for when I am no longer around.

I also have everything saved on this computer. But, you can't always rely on technology, so I have everything printed as hard copies for good measure.
Easier to fight over. . .LOL!

IMG_1861.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for making me feel better about this. I started to think I was the outlier.

I think I will keep winging it. I honestly dont think I would keep it up and a recipe book would just be half assed notes that make for problems No solutions.

Sausage making and ferments are all well documented however.
This is what I do... I use a simple excel spreadsheet. Other than that I have a not so organized list of bookmarks in my browser and some hand written notes waiting to be input to the spreadsheet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky