Deli Chicken Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
The wife got me a new deli meat slicer for my bacon mostly because I couldn't get it think enough and have 2 slabs in the fridge but still have another week of curing before smoking. So decided I wanted to try out some deli style chicken breast on the smoker and slice that up since the process seems alot easier and they are on sale for 1.77 a lb. But tried to do a bit of research would a I better off dry brining or wet brining? Should I use Prague Powder in the brine. Should I brine them use a homemade salt free rub on it. I already have an idea of brining the chicken breast over night, smoking them tomorrow morning and then letting them sit in the fridge until Sunday but mostly stumped by the brining process and how I wanna tackle it.

Reactions: JLeonard
Personally since chicken breast is typically dry I would wet brine. I wouldn’t use Prague powder unless you are cold smoking it will change the flavor and color. Keep in mind some people do add it to turkey’s, but like I said it does tend to change the flavor keep us posted.

I agree wet brine. I just pulled 12 lb out from Pop's brine. I like the cure in mine. It does change the flavor but in a good way for me.

Attachments

• 20230929_123732.jpg
    20230929_123732.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: crazzycajun
I plan on making a big batch of deli meat would the pargue powder help keep it better in the fridge or should I freeze some of it. Plus trying to figure out a brine that I should use with the Prague powder and if I should just use a normal rub on it or make my own salt free rub.

I plan on making a big batch of deli meat would the pargue powder help keep it better in the fridge or should I freeze some of it. Plus trying to figure out a brine that I should use with the Prague powder and if I should just use a normal rub on it or make my own salt free rub.
Prague powder is used to keep bacteria down during cooking when you can’t get from 40-140 in four hours cooking chicken low and slow doesn’t benefit chicken or poultry imo. I don’t think will have anything to do with it lasting longer in the fridge imo. Like Brian says he likes the flavor that the cure adds it would be your call. Do yourself a favor and look up pops brine, and use that as a base and add your own ingredients I think you will be quite happy with the results. Imo vacuum seal and refrigerate or freeze depending on your timeline

I already have an idea of brining the chicken breast over night, smoking them tomorrow morning and then letting them sit in the fridge until Sunday but mostly stumped by the brining process and how I wanna tackle it.
I use Pop's brine for poultry .
1 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cure 1
1 tsp lemon extract ( optional )
Mix by the gallon .
I completely debone the breast , roll it on itself and tie it off .
Not sure what you have .
This is turkey , but I do the same with chicken .
This link if for whole breast . There's a link in that thread that shows how I do it with breast halves .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky