• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Turkey breast

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
This came up in another thread about BBQ chains stores . I mentioned that a local place had great Turkey and it made me rethink the process .
SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan asked about it , so I figured I would write it out .

Here's a thread on how I was doing them before I had the Turkey from Sugar fire BBQ . This method works too .

The new method is way better . Since I was trying to copy the Sugar fire turkey , I tried 2 ways . One boned and rolled , and one bone in and tied .
Everything else was the same .

Brine - Pop's brine
1 Gallon water
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBLS cure 1
1/2 tsp lemon extract ( optional )

I mix the brine , then dip enough out of the brine to inject into the breast .
I pump it full , doesn't need to be a measured amount . It will naturally retain around 10 % .
After it's injected , I soak over night in the brine . Normally less than 24 hours . Just depends when I set it up .
I de-bone before it get's injected and soaked . The other one goes in as is .
I like to drain , dry the surface , and go back in the fridge for a couple hours before smoking .

I season the cut side or bottom , then tie it up . Season the skin , mostly for looks .
I'm not chasing skin . I just use it to keep the meat moist .
I use a salt free rub I mix up . I never add any more salt to brined meats .
20211126_083349.jpg
20211126_083353.jpg
I did these on the SmokeFire . Ran in smoke boost for an hour or so , then
started bumping the temp up 25 degrees at a time until I reached 350 .
If I use the kettle I let it settle in around 300 / 350 .
I get these cooked . Not looking for low and slow . I pull at 165 when ever I de-bone and roll poultry .
Keeping in mind there is an exposed surface on the inside now .

Off and rested .
20211126_170449.jpg
20211126_170456.jpg
Sliced up the boneless .
20211126_170733.jpg
20211126_170738.jpg
Taste , texture and tenderness are all spot on .
Slicing across the grain is the way to go .
When slicing the bone in , I cut the breast off in one piece ( per side ) and slice across the grain .

Pretty simple really . The boneless was really close to what I had from Sugar fire BBQ .
This doesn't last long . People can't stop eating it .

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Great looking bird boobs.
Is the 1/2 tsp of lemon extract even noticeable?
I'm kind of surprised there's no TSPP....

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I'd gobble that up to Rich. It looks fantastic.
It's a great method . One of those you eat right off the cutting board .

Great looking bird boobs.
Is the 1/2 tsp of lemon extract even noticeable?
I'm kind of surprised there's no TSPP....
I've done them with STPP injection . but this gives a more natural texture that matches the BBQ joint turkey . It's full of moisture , and the skin helps to keep it in the bird .

Yes on the lemon . I add it to all my Pop's brined birds . Just a hint , but you can smell it which also adds to it .

Brokenhandle

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
That looks really good! I can see why you can't quit eating it! Now I'm hungry for a turkey sandwich!

Ryan

tbern

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 27, 2015
looks awesome! love turkey, will have to give this one a try.

clifish

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 25, 2019
Looks great Rich, I will have to look up how to debone. Did you cook it on a rotisserie? If using the kettle would you use the lid or open?

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
That looks great thanks for the write up Rich. What is the taste difference in adding the cure and not? Just curious. I have brined but never tried cure on turkey. I usually spatch them then shove a bunch of butter and seasoning under the skin and let it ride.

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
That looks fantastic Rich! Makes me want to fire up the oven for a batch of buns and open up some cranberry sauce, now I want a sanny! All I ever find to smoke are the little 3 pound boneless Butterballs or whole turkeys, I'd love to do a bone-in breast. Nice work! RAY

CTXSmokeLover

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 17, 2022
That looks fantastic. I'm a big fan of smoking turkeys. Our local grocery stores sell pre brined boneless breasts. I love them because they are a quick, simple cook and are delicious. I usually will just season with pepper and a little gran garlic, smoke until around 155-ish and rest in foil with butter for an hour. So yummy and juicy! I'll have to give your method a shot as well. Thanks for sharing

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Been hungry for one of those for a while now.
Gonna give your method a try on the next one, cause it sure looks good!
Al

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Beautiful job and great detail Rich. The turkey looks amazing and I can bet a few folks jump on this one and make it themselves.

Robert

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 16, 2016
I wondered if it was the Pop's brine thing you do. Running this soon already have the lemon extract but will be chicken and black pepper rub.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Did you cook it on a rotisserie?
I used the SmokeFire .
If using the kettle would you use the lid or open?
I would use the lid for this , but you could do either way .
That looks fantastic Rich
Thanks Ray .
That looks fantastic.
Thanks . I've bought the enhanced birds , and still soak them .
Never had any issues . They retain about 10 % .
Gonna give your method a try on the next one, cause it sure looks good!
Al , it's perfect for the convection effect of a pellet grill .
Beautiful job
Thanks Robert .
I wondered if it was the Pop's brine thing you do. Running this soon already have the lemon extract but will be chicken and black pepper rub.
Sam , if I do poultry without Pop's and the small amount of Lemon extract it doesn't come out the same . Still good , but making a difference without over powering means you got something right I think .
I just did an Anise cured loin . Used a whole tsp of Anise extract . Flavor was there . Taste and smell . In a good way .

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
That looks great thanks for the write up Rich.
Thanks . I have a few hours in doing this . I've settled in on this method .
What is the taste difference in adding the cure and not? Just curious. I have brined but never tried cure on turkey.
The short time in the brine won't add a hammy / cured flavor , but it does add to the taste and texture in my opinion . Not anything you can really put your finger on , it just works .
Also the brine ingredient amounts are where we like it . Salt level is perfect , and seems like a lot of sugar , but it works .
If I change things up or leave something out , I get questions at the table .
I usually spatch them then shove a bunch of butter and seasoning under the skin and let it ride.
I do mine whole 99 % of the time . Used to do the butter under the skin . Still do sometimes . For this method , leaving the skin tight and tying it improves the texture . Again , this is done to our taste . You can use the basic idea and apply what you know . I like the boned and rolled over the bone in .

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
those look killer good. How hard was deboning? I like how they are all tied up like that, make slicing super easy I bet.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
those look killer good. How hard was deboning?
Thanks . Not to bad , just depends on how it was cut off the whole bird . Sometimes they leave that wing socket on them . That can get a bit tricky .
I like how they are all tied up like that, make slicing super easy I bet.
The tying up really helps the texture I think . Slices really nice .

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.