Deer shoulder with white bbq sauce on the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
Started the prep work on the WSM 22 at 6:30am. Deer shoulder on the smoker at 8:00am. Plan on an all day smoke. Low and slow at 225 degrees.
Simple rub: kosher salt, garlic powder, chili powder, brown sugar.
FBE45084-9E46-44EC-8510-F8C5C163AEE2.jpeg
42BEFCF8-4009-43AC-B498-5BBB79753D5A.jpeg

A2A8DBFB-0D0C-4AB8-904A-0F8A7ADB528F.jpeg
AE5EF3CF-B77E-49F9-8C9E-3CDFDA7CB1C7.jpeg
4 hours in. Time to transfer the shoulder to a pan, add a onion and fresh garlic cloves, then pour over the white bbq sauce. Tightly coved with foil. Back on the smoker it goes for another 5 hours or so. BBQ guru is doing its work. Back to my work, raking and mulching leaves. Then, Notre Dame football is on!

Last edited:
959005F4-F7A0-455E-A84A-396BB52D95EC.jpeg
Here it is...dinner. There was a previous thread about deer shoulder and shredding it like pulled pork. Well, here it is. A lot of flavor, and tender for a shoulder cut of the deer. Thanks for looking.

Thanks guys! It was real good! Enjoyed doing this smoke. Second smoke on the WSM 22 since I got it. It was a 12 hour smoke, but still had plenty of fuel left for plenty of more smoking hours. Love my WSM! Now, time to think what to smoke this upcoming weekend!

Getting ready to smoke my first venison rump roast pretty good size. Do you recommend the same procedure as doing the shoulder?

Hi there and welcome!
To my knowledge there are 3 real roasts in the back leg. Which one are you looking to smoke?
All 3 are quite lean.

It will have the bone, i was going to use the procedure yankee2bbq posted above, did not see any reference to injecting, but open to any thing to keep it from being dry. If you think it would be best to debone i will.

Can't tell by the pic. Did you de-bone the shoulder before smoking it?
Also, did you inject it?

No. I did not de-bone it. And no, I did not inject it.

I am actually smoking a deer shoulder as I type this reply. And this one is injected with beef broth.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky