Deep fried turkey this year

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
After going back and forth over who was hosting Thanksgiving, we put our foot (feet?) down and said we'e having it here. Son in laws parents wanted to host, they cannot cook, but think they can. Finally talked them out of it. West Chicago suburbanites will know Ho-Ka turkey, we're deep frying it. Done it before, takes about 45 minutes. Neighbors aren't bashful about bring theirs over to fry as well. We went to the Ho-Ka turkey farm for necks and thighs to make gravy with, but turkey will be fresh. Our butcher has our order. I wouldn't be surprised if I break out the top shelf booze too.

Sounds like a great plan and sometimes you do have to put your foot down with the in-laws🤣

Fried is my favorite kind of turkey. Oven-roasted is boring and smoked is very flavorful, but sometimes a bit dry. Fried is always juicy and tender, with crispy, flavorful skin, especially with the right blend of Cajun spices.

I fry one every year for Christmas, but my wife won't let me fry one on Thanksgiving because we have too many guests who might get in the way or run into the fryer. Must be careful when frying a turkey!

Smo-fried is the best of both worlds people.
Smoke it at 200 or 225 until an internal of about 150 then have the oil already up to 350 degrees take the bird out of the smoker hold it upright to get the juices to drain out then slowly put it into the fryer to finish. Nice smoke flavor and crispy skin.

Smo-fried is the best of both worlds people.
Smoke it at 200 or 225 until an internal of about 150 then have the oil already up to 350 degrees take the bird out of the smoker hold it upright to get the juices to drain out then slowly put it into the fryer to finish. Nice smoke flavor and crispy skin.
I may try this when I make our Christmas bird instead of just frying it.

For those frying... Take a trip through Thanksgiving Central (at top of page) and read through "Planning On Frying". Weather you have fried before or a first timer... Just for a little frying safety...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky