Debunking Beer Can Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm not denigrating spatchcocking, merely trying to show that beer can chicken does a good job cooking chicken.

How do you fit 3 spatchcocked chickens on a weber kettle? Are you cooking direct?

I always use use the beer can method, and will continue to use it, in spite of this idiotic article.
This article is clearly click bait, condemning a method that many people use and like with specious reasoning, and ignoring the positives of the method, even after listing some.  Most of the negatives that are listed have to do with beer/flavor penetration through the cavity, so as long as you take it for a given that like the other methods there will be no beer/flavor penetration there is nothing wrong with this method.  And as KRJ wrote, the reasons the article list as dangerous cons are only a problem for someone who should not be around fire or sharp objects to begin with.  

My reasons for using (and loving) BBC:
-A beer can up the chickens butt essentially becomes a vertical roaster, which the article praises (I doubt that the decrease in airflow through the chicken cavity - which the article states isn't great to begin with- would provide better heat transfer than the aluminum in contact with the cavity walls).
-I don't like owning single use gadgets, and even less buying them, especially when there are other items in my house that can do the same thing- in this case buying one, or several vertical wire roasters, and finding room for them in my kitchen (and remembering where that place is), when at most times I have several empty cans in my recycling bin, and always several full ones that I wouldn't mind cracking and drinking.  Why would the answer to a method that works using what you already have be buying a gimmick that does essentially the same thing?
-Using the beer can method allows me to get 3 chickens at a time on my 22" Weber- try that with spatchcocked birds.  Even vertical roasters usually (always) take up more room, so they wouldn't allow 3 to cook at the same time either.
-The beer can method allows me to put the chickens on the grill and walk away to cook everything else for dinner at what ever temp I want (as long as you know your grill).  While of course cooking cut up pieces of chicken will afford the most control, it also takes the most work to ensure that nothing burns.  Even spatchcocking requires turning the chicken to brown the interior (and if you don't, is it really an improvement?)
-This method, with 3 birds placed in a ring, breasts facing in, and charcoal in a ring on the outside cooks the chicken perfectly with browned crispy skin and both breast and thigh cooked perfectly without any work after the initial placement. This can also work with two chickens.

I understand that everyone will have their favorite method for cooking chicken, I just think that BBC is a valid method that makes damn good chicken for very little work and with no cost as long as you don't expect it to do what other methods don't do either.

Give it a try before you rule it out!
Click bait? This isn't the Yahoo home page. Frankly, "idiotic article" set the tone....

Click bait? This isn't the Yahoo home page. Frankly, "idiotic article" set the tone....
In case I was unclear when I said the idiotic article was click-bait, I was referring to the article that is the subject in the original post. An article that would definitely come up on the yahoo home page, and tells people that something many of them do everyday is debunked, and dangerous to boot. How is that not click-bait?

In case I was unclear when I said the idiotic article was click-bait, I was referring to the article that is the subject in the original post. An article that would definitely come up on the yahoo home page, and tells people that something many of them do everyday is debunked, and dangerous to boot. How is that not click-bait?
After looking back to the beginning of the post, I see your point, Brodie. My mistake. It's been a long post & I lost track. I'll blame it on Budweiser. Apologies.
Dan

Theee will fit with careful planning.

Indirect, coals lining the outside.
I have managed that on my 26" Weber kettle but not on my 22". They are either quite small chickens or you must use some cunning Chinese puzzle algorithm to get them all to fit 
biggrin.gif

...the Bird went in the Ronco Rotisserie! That work horse has given me 22 years of amazing Chicken and still going strong...JJ 
Oh yeah.....those machines are the real deal!!! I love mine, been using it for 10 years strong. Perfect chicken EVERY time!!

BTW.....beer can chicken, to me, is a joke. Spatch it!!

I have managed that on my 26" Weber kettle but not on my 22". They are either quite small chickens or you must use some cunning Chinese puzzle algorithm to get them all to fit 
biggrin.gif

Most of the birds that we get are right at 4-5 pounds so tey aren't monsters by any means.

Well that article "debunks" beer can chicken but there have been others published that support it, such as America's Test Kitchen\Cooks illustrated.

I don't know 100% for sure either way but I have had two chickens done side by side at a cooking demo. They were done on smokers, same temp and seasonings one with the beer can method and one without. Most of the people attending seemed to like the beer can chicken better.

Google says Bisphenol A. It's like an epoxy resin/plastic and is everywhere. The FDA says "BPA is safe at the current levels occurring in foods" but I wouldn't be boiling anything with it I guess.

Wow, sorry I missed all the excitement the last few months. 

Personally, I'm a BCC guy (and turkey cannon).  Being the analytical guy I am I learned a few tricks along the way that does add flavoring. 

1.  Don't use beer.  I use ginger ale or cheap white wine.   

2.  Use the small 8-10 oz cans.  The smaller cans don't block off the cavity.  On a turkey cannon the cavity is basically wide open. 

3.  You only need about 1/2" to 1" of liquid in the can.  Any liquid that extends up into the cavity will work against you.

4.  Smoke, grill, or roast the bird at 300F or higher so the liquid does boil. The steam expands 1700 times.  If it boils dry, no problem. 

I've brined and spatchcocked chickens and turkeys.  Still prefer them brined and BCC'd or cannoned. 

I tried to stay away but just couldn't

First off these are my views and I am not flaming on anyone.

Who and what is this guy debunking? The Back yard barbecuers? He doesn't focus his debunk to any specific source, Who says Beer can Chicken is superior? Is there a reference to this in the article?

Beer can chicken is just another way of roasting a chicken, so why the Debunk, if I said I roast my chicken in a pan and someone says, “I read an article that debunks pan roasted chicken, here's all the science behind it”, well I don't give a Rats @ss.

I could debunk the crap out of 3-2-1 ribs, but it's just another cooking method...superior? No! but some will argue it is and that is fine.

I could debunk the low and slow also.

Folks soak wood chips, use sand in place of water pans, inject meat that's gonna be pulled, is it wrong? No. Is it superior? No

I still place all my veggie cuttings in my water pan when cooking on my GOSM and my firebox when cooking on the pit, does it help? I like to think so, would I still do it if Debunked? Absolutely!

Everyone says chicken has to be at 165° to be good, hell the Sams club cooks their chix to 4,000°F and the meat is like pate and my family loves it. Scientifically, I could debunk the $hit out this!

I have cooked pizza on a grill, pizza on a schwenker, I've even fried pizza upside down in a pan on a woodburning stove and no one tried to debunk it, they happily ate it.

Everyone has their way and style of cooking and yes a beer can chicken can be sort of a novelty, I think many folks would be very pleased to see a pit opened up with 10 or so beer can chix sitting there in attention, and I doubt anyone is gonna say hey that's not the best way to roast a chicken. No they're gonna say, Wow!

And I disagree and somewhat agree with this statement,

1. Add herbs and spices to the meat, not the beer. John Kass of, a political columnist for The Chicago Tribune raves about beer can chicken. He says you need to put a “hoofta” or two of spices and herbs in the can, the hoofta being a Greek measurement of undetermined quantities, perhaps a handful. The problem is that most of the compounds in herbs and spices don’t dissolve in water, but they do in oil and alcohol. But there is not much alcohol in beer. Even then, only a few molecules will escape the can, and most go right out the top.
Herbs absolutely do impart flavor if placed in the can, spices, not so much. But flavoring the actual meat will give you MORE PROFOUND results.

Interesting article but this statement is just plain bias towards this method of cooking. I won't dissect any more of the article but this statement pi$$ed me off.

8) The whole process can be dangerous:

• If you forget to open the can, it can explode.
This statement alone shows the Gentlemans Bias

Are there better ways to cook a chicken? absolutely, are we all looking for fun things to do with our food? absolutely.

Hell I schwenked a turkey in a bell Roaster that was incredible. Was it enjoyed more than oven roasted? Hell Yes! But was it actually superior to oven roasted? No, but we all said that it was the best we had, this was because we spent all day around the fire drinking beer, bullshitting and swinging the Schwenker.

The article would have had a better reception if the gentleman specified his source he was debunking, maybe  I missed it?

Just another cooking method, inefficient/superior? Wasteful/Fun?

There really is nothing to debunk!

Reactions: crankybuzzard
Well let's all agree to disagree and consider smoking, grilling and cooking to be an adventure limited only to imagination, With outcome determined by personal taste. There are rules we need to adhere to for safety, but everything else is personal preference. We here on the Smoking Network are just sharing those Preferences.

Randy,

After looking back to the beginning of the post, I see your point, Brodie. My mistake. It's been a long post & I lost track. I'll blame it on Budweiser. Apologies.
Dan
For me, when the beer comes out, worse things usually happen then just missing intonation in a hastily written post.  Concentrate on the smoken and don't worry about it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky