Cutting hole mailbox.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Got some circle snips and used 1 inch knock out for starter hole. These things wont cut. Now what.

20190316_092150.jpg

Can you make straight cuts from the center to just inside the marked circle, then take out smaller pieces as you go around? That's what I did and then a dremel cut off wheel and barrel sander.

Reactions: chopsaw
I just used a hole saw in my drill; it's soft metal and it does just fine. The missing piece in the center won't matter, it's not wood, needing to be drawn through by the drill bit.

Got some circle snips and used 1 inch knock out for starter hole. These things wont cut. Now what.

Brian , what snips do you have ? Right or left ? You have to cut in that direction . Also make sure the pivot bolt on the snips is adjusted so you have no gap at the jaws .
Do like Pops suggested , if you don't have a hole saw , drill a series of small holes to the waste side of the line and snip in between .
Yellow handle = straight
Red = right
green = left

Just to be clear , rights cut right to left . Left cut left to right .

Last edited:
Reactions: DPB and dr k
A cheap Fein tool knock-off with a bi-metal blade will cost you less than $20 at Harbor Freight and will make a hole in a few seconds.

Last edited:
When I made the big hole in my popcorn can (my "mailbox mod") I used my saber saw with a metal blade. I backed the metal with wood to keep the thin metal from chattering.

Other tools I have used for this sort of thing:

Tin snips. These come in all sizes, and you want a small one.

Dremel cutoff tool. I love these. They'll cut pretty much anything.

Nibbling tool. This was one of the first tools I ever bought because I was making electronic projects, and all the project boxes, back in the day, were sheet metal, not plastic like they are today. It is a specialty tool, but it "works a treat," as the English say.

Keyhole saw. Depending on the model, some of these come with metal (small teeth) blades.

[edit]I looked up Fein Tool, and now that I see what it is, that would be a great tool for the job. I borrowed one of these for cutting sheetrock and it was absolutely amazing. There are a variety of heads for different jobs. They aren't much money, and I keep telling myself I should get one, although the guy I borrowed it from owes me a lot of favors, so I may just keep mooching from him.

Last edited:
Man this hole still kicking my butt. Guy at work had a 3" knockout but it was actually 3.5". Borrowed a hole saw. Nailed to a 4x4. Hole saw still kept moving around and when it finally started to bite it ripped a small part and I quit. Stopped at HVAC that I have used in past to see if had a 3" knock out and guy would not give me the time of day. Won't be using them anymore. I have a jigsaw. I guess that the next step.

I got some circle snips from Harbor Freight. My jigsaw is about 30 years old. Not sure how good it is going to work. I guess getting them from Harbor Freight was probably a bad idea. I had an old set in tool box but they would not cut either.

I would use a hole saw like pops mentions...should make a perfect hole in less than half a minute. Just lightly roll the drill very slightly off center in a circle and it will cut much easier.

*edit to add:
since you already have a hole snipped in the mailbox door, you can attach a small block of wood to the inside of the door to cover the hole. Use 2 screws (from outside the mailbox) inside the circle you have drawn. This will give the hole saw center bit something to help keep it aligned.....drill your hole and the block will fall free with the punch cut out.....

I haven't mod mine but is there a reason the hose couldn't be connected where the chip tray goes in without cutting the cabinet? I really don't see the need for more airflow in when there's no more airflow out?

Trying to make cold smoker using Mailbox. Not cutting on the smoker. Just got into making bacon and the pellet tray was heating up the smoker to much. I think there was a problem with that hole saw I was using. Need to go buy a new one. I surprised someone has not starting selling these ready to go!

Reactions: Walchit
Did you give any thoughts to my comments in post #4 ? A good pair of aviation snips used correctly should go right around that . I know some things are easier for some than they are others ,,,,

A hole saw works , if you use it first . You already have the center cut out , so with no center point the hole saw will a walk on you .
Go buy a good pair of snips
Yellow handles for general purpose
OR
Red handles to cut right to left
OR
Green handles to cut left to right .

Reactions: indaswamp
It may be the pellets. Using new bag of lumber jack competition blend. Not going good in smoker. About ready to fill my tube with hickory I know is good. Its always something I swear.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky