Curing Fridge Set-Up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Atl1530

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Atlanta
OK, pops6927 assured me there were no stupid questions on this forum. I’m gonna test that.

I’m looking over Bear’s database of tutorials. Under the heading Cured and Smoked products, there’s a subheading called Curing Fridge Set-Up.

The tutorial doesn’t talk about why or when you would use this fridge.

The photos of the meat inside the fridge don’t appear to be in a brine so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Anyway thanks for the clarification

He is useing a dry brine in the setup and is simply showing how he maintains the proper temp in his fridge for cureing things like bacon. If you read the step by steps for bacon in his step by step posts following the fridge set up he explains the method he uses and you should understand from that. Glad to have you aboard and no there are no dumb questions. Dumb would be to proceed with curing meat without knowing the proper safe methods.

Reactions: Atl1530

2. Fermentation chamber - Temp and humidity run much higher than home fridge (meat is in the danger zone that is why we cure it 1st to protect it from growing harmful bacteria like botulism) also to all PH to drop to help ward off nasty bacterial and add flavor.

3. Aging/drying chamber - Temp and humidity run lower than the fermentation chamber but higher then the home fridge. In this stage we are slowly drying the meats to develop flavor and texture. Just like in the fermentation phase the meats are in the danger zone and the cure is still protecting the meats from botulism until they dry enough (30 to 50%) to a point where botulism and other nasties cannot thrive.

Can the Fermentation chamber and Aging/drying chamber be done at home? I have a freezer that I can control the temperature accurately. How do you add humidity?

If I understand the little I have read, the fermentation chamber and Aging/drying chamber are not always necessary. Like for Bacon as an example, It goes from curing chamber to the smoker. Right?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky