Help with ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mioutdoorsman

Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
Jeddo, Mi
Hello all. I am in need of some help. I had to butcher some small pigs and I now have 6 small boneless hams totaling 15.45lbs I would like to cure and smoke. I have done bacon but never ham. I got a recipe from my uncle who works in a butcher shop. When I break it down into individual gallons it seems like way too much cure. How do I figure a good brine that won’t take forever to cure?

Thanks Greg
IMG_3778.jpeg

Thank you for response. I know your title is 5 days. My hams are 2.5 to 3 lbs each should I still go 5 days? And can I go without the phosphates? I don’t have that on hand. If not I will order some and wait a few more days to get started.

Thank you for response. I know your title is 5 days. My hams are 2.5 to 3 lbs each should I still go 5 days? And can I go without the phosphates? I don’t have that on hand. If not I will order some and wait a few more days to get started.
You are fine without phosphate, it’s a nice addition but not necessary. The 5 days is really a technical thing, let it go longer for better flavor development, say 10 days, but it is technically cured at 5days .

The 10% injection to meat weight, what this recipe illustrates, is hands down the best way to cure meat pieces over 3” thick. Perfect results every time. And like I said don’t cut the cure time short to 5 days go 10-14 days and thank me later. Plus you are putting into the meat exactly what you want it to have when done. No guessing. Follow the recipe directions and go a bit longer on time, you will be rewarded.

You are fine without phosphate, it’s a nice addition but not necessary. The 5 days is really a technical thing, let it go longer for better flavor development, say 10 days, but it is technically cured at 5days .

The 10% injection to meat weight, what this recipe illustrates, is hands down the best way to cure meat pieces over 3” thick. Perfect results every time. And like I said don’t cut the cure time short to 5 days go 10-14 days and thank me later. Plus you are putting into the meat exactly what you want it to have when done. No guessing. Follow the recipe directions and go a bit longer on time, you will be rewarded.

I agree. I go 14 days for my hams. Great cure

Ask any questions you have along the way. We want you to succeed and will walk you through the simplest of questions.

Completely agree. And it is the best ham.
Thank you sir. Would you recommend mixing one batch of brine or mixing small batches for each individual ham?

Thank you sir. Would you recommend mixing one batch of brine or mixing small batches for each individual ham?
Starting out, I recommend mixing a batch for each piece. Once you understand the process then yes it is fine to mix up a batch equal to the meat pieces, but you need to know how much brine goes in each piece and how much brine your syringe holds to keep track. That’s advanced. For now stick with the brine for each piece of meat. It’s not a hard learning curve once you’ve done it a few times and are comfortable with the process.

Starting out, I recommend mixing a batch for each piece. Once you understand the process then yes it is fine to mix up a batch equal to the meat pieces, but you need to know how much brine goes in each piece and how much brine your syringe holds to keep track. That’s advanced. For now stick with the brine for each piece of meat. It’s not a hard learning curve once you’ve done it a few times and are comfortable with the process.

I have done this cure process for years. Still make a cure brine for each piece of meat. Just to be sure

6 small boneless hams totaling 15.45lbs
I do a lot of small hams using the injection that Dave came up with .
These are maybe 3 pounds each . I cure 14 days .
That's a regular size cookie sheet .
20210716_194002.jpg
I also use the injection for sausage chubs . Mix the injection to the weight of the grind , then mix the liquid injection into that . Stuff then hold overnight . Smoke the next day .
20210708_112118.jpg
20210708_112359.jpg

I do a lot of small hams using the injection that Dave came up with .
These are maybe 3 pounds each . I cure 14 days .
That's a regular size cookie sheet .
View attachment 685778
I also use the injection for sausage chubs . Mix the injection to the weight of the grind , then mix the liquid injection into that . Stuff then hold overnight . Smoke the next day .
View attachment 685779
View attachment 685777
Perfect. Those look about the same size as the ones I have. Thanks.

Well I just pulled my first two hams. I would really like to thank everyone who offered their knowledge to help me out. I am waiting for them to cool so I can try them. I only made two just in case I screwed them up on the first attempt.

Attachments

• IMG_3819.jpeg
    IMG_3819.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 14
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky