cure-brined dry-rubbed smoked wings and thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dstar26t

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Ridley Park, PA
Made a weak curing brine based on Pop's and put some wings and thighs in it for 48 hours.  Rinsed and dried them and put a dry rub on.  Then cooked/smoked them in a smokenator equipped Weber kettle with charcoal and pecan @ 300F until 160F IT and then seared them for that crispy skin.  Turned out really juicy, almost too juicy if that's possible.  Going to do some drumsticks in the same manner with a slightly different brine tonight.

Thanks for looking,

Nate

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I went pretty weak on the curing-brine this time (75 ppm nitrite).  Stepping it up tonight.  I want to approach the cusp of pink meat while keeping the nitrite as low as possible.

Last edited:
I did some drumsticks the same way last night.  2% w/w kosher salt and light brown sugar each and 200 ppm nitrite in the brine.  After 48 hours in the brine, the chicken just started to take on a pink color.  I don't want to increase the nitrite any more so I will try a longer brine.  They come out really juicy, it's hard to over cook them.  No pics, sorry.  The skin shrunk back after some direct heat and they looked like crap.  Meat tasted awesome though.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky