Cure amount in wet 'brine'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You could leave out the brown sugar but add more regular sugar so as to not throw off his ratio.

Ryan
Can I just leave the sugar out completely? I don't care for the flavor when it has any sugars in it.

Can I just leave the sugar out completely? I don't care for the flavor when it has any sugars in it.
Gonna have to let one of the other's answer that for you. The sugars help to balance out the saltiness of the cure, afraid if you leave them out completely it would be overly salty.

Ryan

Reactions: rons
You set the slider for your desired final ppm.
I use the default 125 ppm for jerky instead of the standard 156 ppm.
OK very cool,
wow it takes hardly any of that cure, a 1/2 tsp!
So then I'd just mix some salt in also for the saltiness of the meat right?

Attachments

• cure.jpg
    cure.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 13
ok cool, just ordered that cure #1 :)

Yeah that's what I found, it was so salty, so I started using less and tasting the liquid first , but it probably wasn't curing it 'enough'.

So something like this is what your recommending?
Yes that’s the right stuff cure #1

Reactions: rons
1.5% salt is the minimum to safely cure meats. You can absolutely leave out the sugar. It’s only there to balance salt flavor and has no curing effect.
I use 1.5% salt and anywhere between 1.0-0.5% sugar with hams and bacon. Cure #1 always at 0.25%

OK very cool,
wow it takes hardly any of that cure, a 1/2 tsp!
So then I'd just mix some salt in also for the saltiness of the meat right?

A rule of thumb is a 1/4 tsp per 1 lb meat. However, it is always preferable to actually weigh out the cure #1 in grams on a scale.

With the salt, keep in mind any other ingredients that contain sodium and adjust accordingly.
I usually don't add any more salt when using soy sauce and/or worcestershire sauce.

Reactions: SmokinEdge and rons
1.5% salt is the minimum to safely cure meats. You can absolutely leave out the sugar. It’s only there to balance salt flavor and has no curing effect.
I use 1.5% salt and anywhere between 1.0-0.5% sugar with hams and bacon. Cure #1 always at 0.25%
ok cool thanks!

A rule of thumb is a 1/4 tsp per 1 lb meat. However, it is always preferable to actually weigh out the cure #1 in grams on a scale.

With the salt, keep in mind any other ingredients that contain sodium and adjust accordingly.
I usually don't add any more salt when using soy sauce and/or worcestershire sauce.
ok good point!

1.1 gram cure #1 per pound of meat will net 156ppm nitrite.

It's easier and quicker doing it this way instead of curing meat first in Pops brine... Get it all (cured and seasoned) done at once...
ok yes, I 'have been' using a dry rub after curing instead of flavored marination.
I was doing the sprinkle the cure on thing but that is so tedious trying to sprinkle the right amount evenly on each piece both sides, so thought just tossing it all in a big zip lock with a curing liquid would be easier, then the next day sprinkling the flavor powder stuff on it and making it would be easier.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Ron,
You'll find the "wet cure" is so much easier and you'll get much better flavor penetration.
that makes sense, it is a lot easier. I do like that high mountain jerky rub flavor stuff. maybe I can put that in the water/cure, figure out the right amount so it comes out with the right flavor. then always do that and be consistent.

that makes sense, it is a lot easier. I do like that high mountain jerky rub flavor stuff. maybe I can put that in the water/cure, figure out the right amount so it comes out with the right flavor. then always do that and be consistent.
Use just enough liquid to make a marinade with it, in enough volume for the meat weight. Add cure #1 to that marinade (if not in the original seasoning) into a plastic zip bag or casserole dish and let it sit for 24hr.

Use just enough liquid to make a marinade with it, in enough volume for the meat weight. Add cure #1 to that marinade (if not in the original seasoning) into a plastic zip bag or casserole dish and let it sit for 24hr.
oh sure thing, I've kinda been doing that, but using the powdered flavor after and using that tender quick stuff, but now will do it with that #1 cure stuff and the flavor mixed in. Might take me a few test runs to get the flavor stuff right, but once I do, then it'll just be a routine after.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky