Somebody To Double Check My Numbers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
So this part always kicks my ass... Making snack sticks and when it comes to seasonings... Trying to figure out how much is needed...

Directions on the bag (Owens) says 2 lbs seasoning .... which is the whole bag... For 25 lbs of meat... So to break it down for 15lbs of meat...

I'm going by ounces as it doesn't need to be that accurate...

2lbs (32oz) divided by 25lbs (400oz) multiplied by 15lbs (240oz) = 19.2 ozs... correct ??

PS... If you have spicey (7 pepper) seasonings on your finger.... DON'T rub your eye with said finger... Don't ask me how I know...BURNNNNN..... and BURNNN some more

Reactions: JLeonard
So this part always kicks my ass... Making snack sticks and when it comes to seasonings... Trying to figure out how much is needed...

Directions on the bag (Owens) says 2 lbs seasoning .... which is the whole bag... For 25 lbs of meat... So to break it down for 15lbs of meat...

2lbs (32oz) divided by 25lbs (400oz) multiplied by 15lbs (240oz) = 19.2 ozs... correct ??

PS... If you have spicey (7 pepper) seasonings on your finger.... DON'T rub your eye with said finger... Don't ask me how I know...BURNNNNN..... and BURNNN some more
try taking out your contacts after getting some Dave's insanity sauce on your hands....ask me how I know

The stuff I have from Owen’s has per pound amounts on it .
Per pound is always easier. The first thing I do when I have a new recipe is convert it.

Then you can write 1.28oz/lb on the bag and not have to re-do the calculation next time you dip into that seasoning.

Doing 15lbs of Chipotle Wildfire... 15 lbs of 7-pepper ... 10lbs of Philly Cheese Steaks... and 10 pounds of teriyaki...

All through a 3/8" tube... Wanna come help ??

Mixing is the part I hate most...

I just took 15 lbs divided by 25 lbs = 60%, 60% of the 2 lbs is 1.2 lbs x 16 for oz = 19.2 oz. Lots of ways to get at it.

chipotle wildfire & 7 pepper 4 Tbsp per pound of meat
Teriyaki is 2 Tbsp+1/4tsp per pound of meat and using their sugar cure stuff is 1 3/4tsp per lb

Is the Philly the brat or stick seasoning

Reactions: chopsaw
2lbs per 25lbs meat.
2/25=.08lbs of spice per lb of meat.
15lbs of meat x .08lbs spice =1.2lbs of spice needed.
The .08 is what you need and can use it to calculate no matter how much meat you have.

I do the math a little different for those numbers since they are both multiples of 5.
15 is 60% of 25 (15/25 is same as 3/5 = .6)
Then just multiply 2 x .6 = 1.2lbs.

No pencil and paper needed.

clifish clifish - I've had Dave's Insanity Sauce, some bas a$$ stuff.

Reactions: clifish
I prefer metric. 8% on that mix. Easier to figure out seasoning for uneven meat weights.

15#=6,810 grams.

6810 x .08=544.8 grams of seasoning

Reactions: geostriata
I prefer metric. 8% on that mix. Easier to figure out seasoning for uneven meat weights.

15#=6,810 grams.

6810 x .08=544.8 grams of seasoning
25lbs of meat * (percent mix by weight) = 2lbs of seasoning, so
0.08season-to-meat ratio = 2lbs seasoning/25lbs meat

So if you want to know how much seasoning for #15lbs. You have:

1lb of meat * (0.08) = .08lbs of seasoning
15lb of meat * (0.08) = 1.2lbs seasoning = 544.3g of seasoning

Definitely agree with metric, since you can standardize all measurements (I even weigh my water in grams)

Crazy how many ways you can do it. I just do 15/25 = .6 (60%). .6 X 2 = 1.2 lbs X 16 oz = 19.2 oz.

Reactions: 02ebz06 and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky