cube steak?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
So I pulled out 2 pkgs of steak. Thought they were both ribeyes but messed up and 1 is cube steaks. My wife hates cube steak.. lol
So since the ribeyes were going in the sousvide I thought screw it put the cubed steaks too.

Normally I just pan fry it and deal with the tough meat by slicing small and melting a little cheese on it. No idea how this will work or if I should sear it with my sous vide gun after or pan fry.

Anyone ever try this?

I'm sorry all the effort gave a, less than stellar result. I rarely buy Cube Steak unles I plan to braise it like for Swiss Steak. You may find my latest Cube Steak adventure worth trying...
I tried a new, for me, technique that I saw on YT and was blown away! I made Cube Steak into Chicken Fried Steak that cut with the Fork!!!
Top Round was on sale $3.99, so I had the Meat Manager, run 3 pounds through the Tenderizer. Came out to be 9 slices about 7" across. I put the meat in a bag with a Reduced Salt seasoning blend I'm playing with, and 2 cups of Buttermilk. I had planned on an overnight soak but stuff came up and the meat marinated 2 nights. So it's now day three. I opened the bag to pull out the meat and the first slice came out in two pieces😨. With the second slice i was more careful and it only tore a bit. I successfully removed the remaining intact. I coated the wet meat in hand crushed Saltine Crackers, biggest chunk the size of a shirt button, pressing the cracker meal on really well. I fried the steaks in a CI pan with veg oil and a little butter. I made the Gravy ahead in a separate pan with the same seasoning, a Blonde Roux and Half & Half. This let folks eat 2 at a time, fresh from the pan and still Crisp.
I have eaten what most would call Real Chicken Fried Steak in TX and OK and had sof good stuff in a few NJ Diners. BUT...I have NEVER had it this Tender or as Flavorful . The meat cut with a Fork and my family wanted to know why I have not made this before?
Fact is, I have made Chicken Fried Steak several years ago. The meat was purchased and coated , with a Flour, Egg, Breadcrumb coating, then fried until golden brown.. The meat was Tough as leather and the Breading got soggy from the steam the meat generated and just fell off. The Dogs and more than my family would. I never bothered a again until earlier this week.
Long story short, Cube Steak can be made into amazingly tender meat and a Great meal...JJ

Reactions: noboundaries
One of the factors for tender cube steak is in the cubing/processing. Most cube steak is run through the cuber twice: once and then turned 90° and drop through again. This would result in the meat having nice little "cubes" cut into the surface of it, hence the term "cubed steak". I will always ask them to drop it through at least 3 times, maybe 4. Any more than that it will tear apart coming out of the cuber.

In my college days, I worked in the meat department at a Winn Dixie (The Beef People). I was always the guy who had to grind the burger, which was done in the cooler, and cube the steak. Both were on the undesirable job list, followed by cleaning up and the end of the day. Eventually I was allowed to touch a knife and taught how to cut steaks, primarily ribeyes and tenderloins. Those were the days, but I learned a lot about meat and meat processing from a real old school butcher who had been doing it for 30+ years at that time.

You may find my latest Cube Steak adventure worth trying...

I put the meat in a bag with a Reduced Salt seasoning blend I'm playing with, and 2 cups of Buttermilk. I had planned on an overnight soak but stuff came up and the meat marinated 2 nights. So it's now day three. I opened the bag to pull out the meat and the first slice came out in two pieces😨

Chicken fried steak has been my nemesis. I noticed yesterday that my grocer had buttermilk back in stock. I had not seen any for weeks.

Definitely going to try this technique. Thanks for posting, JJ!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
this meat was from a 1/2 cow I had proccessed 3 months ago, so no way to make changes at this point. I have breaded and fried cube steak in the past and its ok. Again, this was nothing great. I ate it but wasnt impressed. Next time I might try something more.

Cube steak is always made into "swiss steak" here and we do the buttermilk thing for it too. Same for "city chicken" which is on deck. I might do a write up as apparently alot of folks do not know what it is.

Cube steak is always made into "swiss steak" here and we do the buttermilk thing for it too. Same for "city chicken" which is on deck. I might do a write up as apparently alot of folks do not know what it is.
Please do! Never heard of city chicken before.

Ryan

Reactions: zwiller
I noticed yesterday that my grocer had buttermilk back in stock. I had not seen any for weeks.
I did a test run and kept it going awhile. Opened it up and used some. Topped it off with more milk (keep lid loose) and kept on counter a day or so until thick then back into the fridge. Rinse lather repeat. Worked perfectly. I didn't really think it would but it did. Big fan of the stuff and even plan to ferment some summer sausage with it soon.

I did a test run and kept it going awhile. Opened it up and used some. Topped it off with more milk (keep lid loose) and kept on counter a day or so until thick then back into the fridge. Rinse lather repeat. Worked perfectly. I didn't really think it would but it did. Big fan of the stuff and even plan to ferment some summer sausage with it soon.

MOUTH HANGING OPEN IMPRESSED!!!:emoji_scream:
That is Brilliant! I've made Crema from Hvy Cream and Buttermilk, but it never occurred to me that the same Active Cultures would make more Buttermilk by refilling with more Fresh Milk. Too Cool!
On the subject of City Chicken, its been a long time since I have had it. My Mom or Grandma made it when I was a kid and i made it a couple times for my crew, until I ran out of Sticks. Your bringing up City Chicken, has inspired me to want to make some. I am greatly looking forward to your Recipe and Thread....JJ

For those that have not had City Chicken, here is some background.
Its thought to have originated in the Polish Communities in and around Pittsburgh PA and Cleaveland OH, spreading through the Rust Belt. In Cities in the early 1900's through the Great Depression and even into the 50's, Fresh Young Chicken sold as a Premium Meat. A Wedding Reception serving a Chicken Dinner was a Fancy High End Affair!
As an alternative to Fried Chicken, Chunks of simply Seasoned Pork and even Veal, cheaper than Chicken at the time, were stuck on a thick wooden skewers, Breaded and Fried in a similar manner to Chicken Legs and Thighs. Some people even arranged the meat chunks so the City Chicken looks like Drumsticks, thick on one end smaller on the other, and the more uniform Thighs.
City Cbicken has become a Nostalgic Comfort Food for many. In areas where it's popular, Grocery Stores have prepacked chunks of Pork Butt or Loin and the Skewers in the meat case labeled City Chicken. There are variations on Seasoning, including marinating in Buttermilk, and cooking methods. Some Deep Fry, Pan Fry and Oven finish, Bake it and now Air Fry City Chicken. The Skewers are short and sturdy. The kind sold for Candy Apples,about 5"x 1/4" are perfect, although thin Bambo Skewers ar ok if thats the only choice.

MeToo! I guest I need a new recipe...
I just asked my Daughter if she knew where to get skewers for City Chicken. She replied, " Why? I didnt like your's the last time you made it! "
😨 No Honey. Tell me how you really feel!
What you get when your kid is a trained Chef...JJ😊

Reactions: noboundaries
MeToo! I guest I need a new recipe...
I just asked my Daughter if she knew where to get skewers for City Chicken. She replied, " Why? I didnt like your's the last time you made it! "
😨 No Honey. Tell me how you really feel!
What you get when your kid is a trained Chef...JJ😊
That's too funny! I think she should make it and see if dad approves!

Ryan

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky