Critique my Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wright_1

Original poster
Hi All,

Today I’ve been smoking some beef ribs. They have taken just over 6 hours and probably could of done with being in a little longer but the wife kept nagging because she was hungry!!….I wanted these to have an internal temperature of 93 degrees c, but I kept getting false readings from the thermometer, I put the thermometer in the thickest part of the meat away from the bones but this still did not work, I then put them in the oven for an hour but the temperature did not rise even in tinfoil (oven at 115 degrees c)…in the end i just probed them to ensure the juices run clear and monstered them.

Can I please ask for some feed back - do these look ok? I used Cherry Wood, very subtle flavours. I put Olive Oil over the meat, then used Garlic powder, Salt and Pepper to season.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 9.02.18 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 9.02.18 PM.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 23
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 9.14.00 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 9.14.00 PM (1).jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 22
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 9.14.00 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 9.14.00 PM.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 24
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 9.13.59 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 9.13.59 PM.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 18
Look good! A little more time would have been helpful for getting more tender, but hard to do when people are hungry!

Don't worry so much about temps. They are ready when a probe slides in with zero resistance. Color looks good but they look like they needed a few more hours to render the fat and tenderize the ribs
Thankyou for your feedback, as I'm starting out its great to get feedback from professionals. At the moment, i find i worry the meat will dry out...I will take note of this and leave them in for as long as they need. Thanks Again.

Ha, just scrolling through. I agree you might have pulled off a little early and they might have seemed too dry and tough, which you can adjust for next time. If you put them on much earlier, you can always pull them off, wrap in foil and put wrapped in a towel in a cooler for an hour or so if you are too early and they will be even better.

I have some boneless beef ribs in my smoker at the moment. I am into about 7.5 hours at 225' smoker temp. Just checked about half an hour ago and they were at about 165', so they would need checked again in about an hour to start poking.

We just have to keep practicing and eating up our not so perfect mistakes. Ha Ha. My dog has never complained about helping me get rid of stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: King Nud
The number one thing you can do moving forward is get an accurate thermometer. Something that can be left in the meat and read remotely , optimally with at least two probes. One for meat and one for our temp.

Don't worry so much about temps. They are ready when a probe slides in with zero resistance. Color looks good but they look like they needed a few more hours to render the fat and tenderize the ribs
Exactly what Jake said.

Welcome to SMF from North Texas!

- Jason

Reactions: wright_1
We've all been there (well at least I have) and heard "when's it going to be ready?". The hardest thing for me was figuring out the timing. I learned from the guys^^^^ and now start 2 hrs ahead of my planned cook time. If I finish early just hold in the oven or a cooler. If the meat doesn't cooperate I'm still on time 😆.

Keith

We've all been there (well at least I have) and heard "when's it going to be ready?". The hardest thing for me was figuring out the timing. I learned from the guys^^^^ and now start 2 hrs ahead of my planned cook time. If I finish early just hold in the oven or a cooler. If the meat doesn't cooperate I'm still on time 😆.

Keith
Its the Wife mainly - wants everything now!! ha ha.. Thanks for the advise I think thats a good idea....I will do it next time, i'm in this mindset of taking it out early because i dont want the meat to be dry, when in reality leaving the beef in longer would of made it juicier and not as tough. Smoking really is an art, and if you watch Youtubers, they make it looks so easy!

Ha, just scrolling through. I agree you might have pulled off a little early and they might have seemed too dry and tough, which you can adjust for next time. If you put them on much earlier, you can always pull them off, wrap in foil and put wrapped in a towel in a cooler for an hour or so if you are too early and they will be even better.

I have some boneless beef ribs in my smoker at the moment. I am into about 7.5 hours at 225' smoker temp. Just checked about half an hour ago and they were at about 165', so they would need checked again in about an hour to start poking.

We just have to keep practicing and eating up our not so perfect mistakes. Ha Ha. My dog has never complained about helping me get rid of stuff.
Yes! my Dog loves this hobby also. I've been buying cheap meat from Aldi so if i screw it up, I'm not that fussed, just another learning curve! This particular cut however, was from the butchers...I would love to see some pictures!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky