Creamed beef on toast.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Better known as SOS from my military days.
Jar of dried beef
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup flour
Dash of worsey sauce.
Pepper to taste.

Rinse beef in hot water for about 30 seconds. Then cut in quarters.
In a small pan. Add butter and melt, then add the beef. Cook on low for 2 minutes.
Then add the flour. Mix well to get the flour moist from the butter and beef.
Slowly add 2 cups of milk. Turn heat to med. And stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
Remove from heat.

P1090183.jpg

Pour over toast squares or biscuits. Enjoy!

I think I had it once at summer camp when I was a kid Steve, can't recall if I liked it or not. Certainly looks a nicer than the name implies it would. RAY

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. I've loved that stuff since I was a kid and now as an adult (sort of) I've upped the ante and make it with homemade dried beef. Nice looking breakfast Steve.

Robert

Looks good Steve. I've maybe had it one time as a kid. My Father loved it in WWII, he always talked about it when I was growing up. I think in the 60's there was a Diner in Jersey that had it on the menu, and that's where I had it. Not sure if I liked it either. I'd certainly be open to trying it now however.

That looks good . Never had it with chipped beef . We had SOS with ground beef . Ate a lot of it growing up . I love it , but been a long time since I had any .

Reactions: kempshark
That looks good . Never had it with chipped beef . We had SOS with ground beef . Ate a lot of it growing up . I love it , but been a long time since I had any .

In the service we rarely had it with dried beef. It was usually with ground beef. We called them both the same.

Man , sure looks good Steve! Love that stuff, ate it quite a bit growing up. Been a long time tho.

Ryan

I think I had it once at summer camp when I was a kid Steve, can't recall if I liked it or not. Certainly looks a nicer than the name implies it would. RAY
Haha! Thanks Ray!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. I've loved that stuff since I was a kid and now as an adult (sort of) I've upped the ante and make it with homemade dried beef. Nice looking breakfast Steve.

Robert
Thanks Robert!

Looks good Steve. I've maybe had it one time as a kid. My Father loved it in WWII, he always talked about it when I was growing up. I think in the 60's there was a Diner in Jersey that had it on the menu, and that's where I had it. Not sure if I liked it either. I'd certainly be open to trying it now however.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Looks good, Steve!
Thank you!

Yup----ate that good ole stuff at Fort Benning, GA-Great pics!
Thank you Charlie!

Looks a lot better than the stuff they feed in military.
Not quite the same as the namesake!

Man , sure looks good Steve! Love that stuff, ate it quite a bit growing up. Been a long time tho.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan!

Nice a favorite around here. My mom also served it over mash taters.

Warren
I've had the ground beef version over taters. It's pretty good that way.

Yup, In My Dad's WW2, and Mine & My Brother's Vietnam War, in the Army SOS was Ground Beef & Gravy on Toast. Terrible Stuff, compared to Dried Beef.
Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast was Dried Beef & Gravy on Toast, and was Never called SOS. It looked good too, just like Steve's Chipped Beef on Toast!!
Nice Job Steve---You must have been in the Navy, if you called that SOS.

Bear

Yup, In My Dad's WW2, and Mine & My Brother's Vietnam War, in the Army SOS was Ground Beef & Gravy on Toast. Terrible Stuff, compared to Dried Beef.
Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast was Dried Beef & Gravy on Toast, and was Never called SOS. It looked good too, just like Steve's Chipped Beef on Toast!!
Nice Job Steve---You must have been in the Navy, if you called that SOS.

Bear

Nope! Army called it the same. Though I'm betting the Navy version was much better!

Nope! Army called it the same. Though I'm betting the Navy version was much better!

I said that because the Navy & Air Force ate better than we did in the Army, at least in my day. The best food I ate was out of C-Rats in Vietnam.
The Navy & Air Force sometimes used Dried Beef in their "SOS", but there was too many guys in the Army, (would be too expensive!) so we got stuck with Ground Beef in our SOS, and it was terrible stuff!! Really tasted like SOS.

Bear

Reactions: Steve H
I said that because the Navy & Air Force ate better than we did in the Army, at least in my day. The best food I ate was out of C-Rats in Vietnam.
The Navy & Air Force sometimes used Dried Beef in their "SOS", but there was too many guys in the Army, (would be too expensive!) so we got stuck with Ground Beef in our SOS, and it was terrible stuff!! Really tasted like SOS.

Bear

When I was in Hawaii I would sometimes go to Pearl Harbor for breakfast or lunch. Them boys knew how to eat! I had my share of C-rations. Some were pretty good. The first version of MRE's were nasty no matter how much hot sauce you put in them.

When I was in Hawaii I would sometimes go to Pearl Harbor for breakfast or lunch. Them boys knew how to eat! I had my share of C-rations. Some were pretty good. The first version of MRE's were nasty no matter how much hot sauce you put in them.

Yup, We had a Navy turning basin close to my Hooch. There was usually a Navy LST docked there. I was invited to eat on ship on any Sunday, and boy did they have Great Food!!! They were nice to us, but maybe because there was about 8,000 of us Army Guys between the couple hundred Navy Guys, and up to 30,000 Viet Cong on the other side of Dong Tam. They had to go through us to get to the Navy Guys.

We used to steal C-Rations from an Engineer Company, because our Mess Hall Sucked!!! I never had MREs---I guess they came out way later than my time in the Army ('68 to 71).

Bear

Yup, We had a Navy turning basin close to my Hooch. There was usually a Navy LST docked there. I was invited to eat on ship on any Sunday, and boy did they have Great Food!!! They were nice to us, but maybe because there was about 8,000 of us Army Guys between the couple hundred Navy Guys, and up to 30,000 Viet Cong on the other side of Dong Tam. They had to go through us to get to the Navy Guys.

We used to steal C-Rations from an Engineer Company, because our Mess Hall Sucked!!! I never had MREs---I guess they came out way later than my time in the Army ('68 to 71).

Bear

MRE's came out early to mid 80's. A bit after your time. You didn't miss much!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky