Cowboy Ribeye (Again!) for Father's Day - Major Improvement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PapaLlama

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2019
Home of BBQ
Firstly, a big thank you to @zwiller & wbf610 wbf610 for giving me advice on using sand instead of water. That made a major difference this time around. My WSM 22" held steady at 230F with little to no management needed. Needless to say, I'll be using sand going forward.

For Father's Day, I smoked 2 ribeyes at 230F for approximately 1.5 hours. One was 3 lbs. & the other was 2.5 lbs. I got them off the smoker at an internal temp of 130F on the larger of the two. I didn't have enough prongs to measure both along with ambient temp. I seared them for 2 minutes on each side, using the WSM as 6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN described to me a week ago. No need for a second grill now.

I smoked some Chicken Leg Quarters with great success, & I grilled some BBQ wings, which is my go-to grilling item.

My father & brother-in-law were very impressed & enjoyed the meal. Thanks to everyone who's given me any advice on here. You guys rock!

Attachments

• fday1.jpg
    fday1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 82
  • fday2.jpg
    fday2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 82
  • fday3.jpg
    fday3.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 80
  • fday4.jpg
    fday4.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 82
  • fday5.jpg
    fday5.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 81
Sweet sear marks on those ribeyes. Glad to hear your getting the hang of your WSM. Mine had a little bit of a learning curve before I was consistent with it. What smoke wood did you use?

Great looking meal man! How did you like the cherry on the beef? I usually roll hickory or apple but do have some cherry I need to burn up

Great looking meal man! How did you like the cherry on the beef? I usually roll hickory or apple but do have some cherry I need to burn up

I may not have the best answer to that question lol. So far I've only done a few smokes on the WSM & they have all involved Cherry wood. When I added the apple wood this time, I felt like it gave it a more noticeable smoke flavor. The cherry wood seems like a very light flavor. I may switch to using it in combination with other woods.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky