Cowboy Ribeye (Again!) for Father's Day - Major Improvement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

CigarLlama

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2019
Home of BBQ
Firstly, a big thank you to @zwiller & wbf610 wbf610 for giving me advice on using sand instead of water. That made a major difference this time around. My WSM 22" held steady at 230F with little to no management needed. Needless to say, I'll be using sand going forward.

For Father's Day, I smoked 2 ribeyes at 230F for approximately 1.5 hours. One was 3 lbs. & the other was 2.5 lbs. I got them off the smoker at an internal temp of 130F on the larger of the two. I didn't have enough prongs to measure both along with ambient temp. I seared them for 2 minutes on each side, using the WSM as 6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN described to me a week ago. No need for a second grill now.

I smoked some Chicken Leg Quarters with great success, & I grilled some BBQ wings, which is my go-to grilling item.

My father & brother-in-law were very impressed & enjoyed the meal. Thanks to everyone who's given me any advice on here. You guys rock!

Attachments

• fday1.jpg
    fday1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 81
  • fday2.jpg
    fday2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 81
  • fday3.jpg
    fday3.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 80
  • fday4.jpg
    fday4.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 82
  • fday5.jpg
    fday5.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 81

6GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 12, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Sweet sear marks on those ribeyes. Glad to hear your getting the hang of your WSM. Mine had a little bit of a learning curve before I was consistent with it. What smoke wood did you use?

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Great looking meal man! How did you like the cherry on the beef? I usually roll hickory or apple but do have some cherry I need to burn up

CigarLlama

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2019
Home of BBQ
Great looking meal man! How did you like the cherry on the beef? I usually roll hickory or apple but do have some cherry I need to burn up

I may not have the best answer to that question lol. So far I've only done a few smokes on the WSM & they have all involved Cherry wood. When I added the apple wood this time, I felt like it gave it a more noticeable smoke flavor. The cherry wood seems like a very light flavor. I may switch to using it in combination with other woods.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan

Hot Threads