COVID

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, it's been a ROUGH 3+ days. Until today, I have spent probably 20 hours a day in the bed and the rest of the time in my recliner. My body felt like I had been beat with a bat and my head hurt so bad that I couldn't see. Running a fever almost continuously, eating ibuprofen like it was candy with absolutely no relief. There was no place, no position to get comfortable. This morning my fever broke and I woke up drenched from head to toe and the pain in my head started to subside. So I took a shower and changed clothes for the first time since Wednesday. I'm not over it yet, but have definitely turned the corner and if I improve over the next couple of days as much as I have today, I'll be back close to 100% about Wednesday.

They say it affects the older folks a little worse and those with pre-existing conditions are really at risk. A sedentary lifestyle tends to make some more prone to the adverse effects. Yes, I'm 60, but I'm not overweight at all. Actually weigh just under my high school weight of 153 lbs. I'm active, I fish 3-5 times every week, cook for us, our daughter and her family, and my wife's mother almost every day, so I don't think that I fit the "typical" profile of those who are supposed to suffer the most with COVID, yet it kicked my butt.

Just my random observations now that I'm moving beyond this....hopefully.....

Well, it's been a ROUGH 3+ days. Until today, I have spent probably 20 hours a day in the bed and the rest of the time in my recliner. My body felt like I had been beat with a bat and my head hurt so bad that I couldn't see. Running a fever almost continuously, eating ibuprofen like it was candy with absolutely no relief. There was no place, no position to get comfortable. This morning my fever broke and I woke up drenched from head to toe and the pain in my head started to subside. So I took a shower and changed clothes for the first time since Wednesday. I'm not over it yet, but have definitely turned the corner and if I improve over the next couple of days as much as I have today, I'll be back close to 100% about Wednesday.

They say it affects the older folks a little worse and those with pre-existing conditions are really at risk. A sedentary lifestyle tends to make some more prone to the adverse effects. Yes, I'm 60, but I'm not overweight at all. Actually weigh just under my high school weight of 153 lbs. I'm active, I fish 3-5 times every week, cook for us, our daughter and her family, and my wife's mother almost every day, so I don't think that I fit the "typical" profile of those who are supposed to suffer the most with COVID, yet it kicked my butt.

Glad you are feeling better. Just let your body heal. Sounds like you had a similar case to mine and it took another month to feel close to 100%.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Glad to hear you're turning the corner bud. Keep an eye on yourself. Some people feel really bad......then feel better.....then get hit with the worst. Hope your wife's doing ok as well!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Glad to hear you're turning the corner bud. Keep an eye on yourself. Some people feel really bad......then feel better.....then get hit with the worst. Hope your wife's doing ok as well!
Jake, thanks for the kind words. She didn't have it anywhere near as bad as I did, maybe due to her having had the vaccinations, but she's been spring cleaning early since she's stuck at home. I think she's cleaned out every closet in the house and says she's going to start on the kitchen cabinets. I told her to leave my kitchen alone :emoji_laughing:. This Thursday will be our official 10 days and I think she's going back to work this weekend. She's a critical care nurse at a heart hospital taking care of open heart patients and they are desperately short of nurses due to this mess.

Glad you're on the upside. And your Wife not doing as bad. This thing is scary and unpredictable. I've been sick this past week with some symptoms, went to the Doctor, got 2 tests, 1 rapid, 1 regular. Waited on pins and needles for the results. Thankfully both negative. I'm almost 60, but overweight and a smoker. I know I need to quit. Wife too needs to quit. This will probably be the year.

One of our daughters works in the Silicon Valley and the Bay Area. In early January 2020, she went from mild discomfort in the morning to what the doc called "walking pneumonia" in the afternoon. Passed out in the doc's office. O2 levels so low doc said she would have died within a few hours if she had not sought help. No one was talking about Covid at that time. No testing either.

She goes home with meds after treatment in the doc's office. A few days later her husband has the "flu." He feels better in a week.

My wife visits a few days after he's better. Daughter tells her our grandson is sick. Well, crap. Wife comes home a week later after a business trip and we both end up with the worst flu we ever had. Still no talk about covid or testing in the news. We were hard down for 10 days and totally zapped for 6 weeks.

Then the covid news hits. Silicon Valley becomes the epicenter of the outbreak in CA. Wife gets tested weeks after exposure and it comes back negative. We ask for antibody tests and we're told they were too expensive unless we wanted to pay out of pocket. Screw that.

Here it is a year later and we both continue to have recurring issues with massive headaches, fatigue, body/muscle/joint aches, There were other stomach and intestinal issues that have diminished after 8 months. They are mild now at their worst.

I kept a friggin' log for about 10 months. Doc didn't want to see us unless we had a fever, cough, and breathing issues. We're locked into our provider and can't change. Did change docs but got same corporate cold shoulder.

We never had a fever, and only had minor cough/breathing issues. Never lost sense of smell or taste, but my wife says things taste metallic at times. Could be my lousy cooking.

It is getting better for both of us. The repeating pattern is shortening and the wellness time is growing. I don't go out without mask, nitrile gloves, and sanitizer. The only good thing that's come out of that is neither of us has caught a cold or the flu or another round of covid.

And we don't qualify for the vaccine, yet. The daughter who caught it first just got her second dose. She's a hospital consultant so she qualified due to her working environment.

That's interesting Ray. Similar thing happened to my Wife around Jan 2020. Not too similar. She had from late Nov 2019 until mid Jan 2020 severe coughing daily for 2 months. On and Off fatigue too. Then, because nothing about Covid yet, and no fever, etc, she waited it out and it went away in mid Jan 2020. Then the rest is history. We're awaiting til they get to our age group, and enough vaccine on hand , so we can get it. Almost a year ago when we started to hear about it, I really thought things would be more normal by now. But it's starting to seem like maybe at the beginning of 2022 most everything will be "normal". If we can remember what "normal" is. LOL. Stay safe.

That is so scary just reading what you wrote....So glad you are coming back from it. Yikes

I'm really happy to hear this! Lets hope the upward trend continues. Didn't you mention your wife has it too? How's she faring?

A couple more things of note. My wife being a nurse, qualified and received the vaccine with the second shot being 10 days prior to us getting tested. Saturday, February 13, she lost her sense of smell so we both got tested on Sunday. I never lost smell nor taste, but yesterday was the 1st day that I felt like eating and my wife made me a piece of toast with p-nut butter on it. I could taste it just fine but I've got a metallic taste in my mouth. Wife says it's because my electrolytes are out of wack. I'm still a ways from being fully recovered, but I'm amazed at how much better I feel after how bad I felt for 3+ days. On Saturday, I was a non-functioning person who thought that the world was coming to an end and yesterday I was somewhat able to function again. It's like flipping a switch almost.

This morning I've still got some fatigue, body aches and a very mild headache, but all manageable. Hopefully in a couple of days, it'll be time to go fishing again :emoji_wink:

I'm really happy to hear this! Lets hope the upward trend continues. Didn't you mention your wife has it too? How's she faring?
Thanks for the kind words, Tucker. Yes my wife has it, but nothing near as bad as me. We believe that is due to her having had the vaccinations with the second shot being 10 days prior to us being tested. It seems now that it takes up to 3 weeks for the anti-bodies to kick in, but who knows. I don't know what we'd have done if she'd been as bad off as I was. The only thing she complained about was some body aches. She's been spring cleaning, has gone through every closet and cabinet in the house, and threatening to start on the kitchen cabinets. I told her to stay out of the kitchen :emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
Hopefully we're over the worst of it. The infection rate in most states is dropping as fast as it ever rose. We were always on the ragged edge of disaster so it could be that just getting 12% of the population vaccinated (or at least the 1st shot) accounts for the good news. Or a lot more of us had it than were ever counted so there's some "herd immunity" kicking in. Either way (and it's maybe both) I'm grateful. And my prayers are with everyone on this forum directly affected or through the suffering or death of family/loved ones.

I'm curious how in a year or so we'll look back on this. Will we insist on better public healthcare, advance outbreak detection, etc? Or will we think that we over-reacted and these things work themselves out best with a minimum of public/government action? This might impact all public safety policy...automobile safety, EPA limits, etc...in which "how much is the right amount" gets another look.

A year from now if all is back to normal, we may all be healthier than ever. More handwashing, etc. You never know.

Here's an interesting opinion piece if you're inclined to read it...

Remember, it's an opinion piece.....

Yep, his opinion. My opinion of his opinion is he has no clue. People are getting it a second time. The common cold is also a coronavirus. There is no such thing as herd immunity for colds. Until and unless the majority of people get the vaccine and subsequent booster shots this virus will continue to be a problem.

"Covid cases have dropped 77% in six weeks."

This is an important takeaway from this article that no one in the media is talking about....

First off I know this virus has been deadly and very serious for many people, for others only mild symptoms, so I'm not doubting it can be bad. I wished it had not happened during an election year, especially one dealing with Trump, you either like him or dislike him. But trusting the media or a politician in this day and age is downright stupid! I would compare it to googling info on the world wide web for good info on smoking meats and curing compared to the info you can find here on the forum! I believe any of them as far as I could throw them!

Ryan

First off I know this virus has been deadly and very serious for many people, for others only mild symptoms, so I'm not doubting it can be bad. I wished it had not happened during an election year, especially one dealing with Trump, you either like him or dislike him. But trusting the media or a politician in this day and age is downright stupid! I would compare it to googling info on the world wide web for good info on smoking meats and curing compared to the info you can find here on the forum! I believe any of them as far as I could throw them!

Ryan
Unfortunately you are right. I'm doing what I can to try and change it though. Happy Q'ing.

"Covid cases have dropped 77% in six weeks."

This is an important takeaway from this article that no one in the media is talking about....

GonnaSmoke, thanks for posting the WSJ article. Interesting reading though, in my mind, the content is very questionable.

In the article, dated Feb. 18,2021, the author states " My prediction that Covid-19 will be mostly gone by April is based on laboratory data, mathematical data, published literature and conversations with experts. "

I'm always a fan of a good wager so I'd love to get some action on his call and I'd be willing to go large, very large.

One of our daughters works in the Silicon Valley and the Bay Area. In early January 2020, she went from mild discomfort in the morning to what the doc called "walking pneumonia" in the afternoon. Passed out in the doc's office. O2 levels so low doc said she would have died within a few hours if she had not sought help. No one was talking about Covid at that time. No testing either.

She goes home with meds after treatment in the doc's office. A few days later her husband has the "flu." He feels better in a week.

My wife visits a few days after he's better. Daughter tells her our grandson is sick. Well, crap. Wife comes home a week later after a business trip and we both end up with the worst flu we ever had. Still no talk about covid or testing in the news. We were hard down for 10 days and totally zapped for 6 weeks.

Then the covid news hits. Silicon Valley becomes the epicenter of the outbreak in CA. Wife gets tested weeks after exposure and it comes back negative. We ask for antibody tests and we're told they were too expensive unless we wanted to pay out of pocket. Screw that.

Here it is a year later and we both continue to have recurring issues with massive headaches, fatigue, body/muscle/joint aches, There were other stomach and intestinal issues that have diminished after 8 months. They are mild now at their worst.

I kept a friggin' log for about 10 months. Doc didn't want to see us unless we had a fever, cough, and breathing issues. We're locked into our provider and can't change. Did change docs but got same corporate cold shoulder.

We never had a fever, and only had minor cough/breathing issues. Never lost sense of smell or taste, but my wife says things taste metallic at times. Could be my lousy cooking.

It is getting better for both of us. The repeating pattern is shortening and the wellness time is growing. I don't go out without mask, nitrile gloves, and sanitizer. The only good thing that's come out of that is neither of us has caught a cold or the flu or another round of covid.

And we don't qualify for the vaccine, yet. The daughter who caught it first just got her second dose. She's a hospital consultant so she qualified due to her working environment.

My Brother "Jim" got Covid in December.
The only risks he had were "Age--75" and Diabetes #2.
Covid caused just about every organ to act up or shut down. They tried to keep him off the ventilator, but had to do it. He even had to go on dialysis for the first time in his life. The last week he was mostly sedated, and didn't know much of what was going on. My Brother Died on December 29, 2020.

Meanwhile both Me & Mrs Bear are registered at all local Hospitals, and Pharmacies, and we check their web sites numerous times daily, trying to get our Vaccines.
They are all low on Vaccines yet, so they all say 75 & over or try again later.
I never got a Flu shot in my life until last Fall, but since this one Kills instead of Sickens, I want one.
They say Comorbidities and Age our the Risk factors.
They seem to only care about Age, & ignore your Comorbidity Risks.
I have many of them, some of which were induced by Agent Orange:
COPD
Emphysema
Ischemia
Aortic Valve from a Cow (9 years old)
Blocked Carotid Arteries
Artificial Ascending Aorta
Coarctation in my Descending Aorta, with a Large Aneurysm
Chronic Kidney Disease (caused by too long without blood during Open-Heart surgery)
High Blood Pressure
I'm 72 years old

Now you know why I'm trying to get a Vaccination.

Mrs Bear has:
High Blood Pressure
Pacemaker
She is 73 years old

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky