COVID

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just got finished with a telehealth appointment with my doctor at the VA. Said it would likely be 3 months before I can get a vaccine

That's fine, if you can avoid it that much longer.
I've been holed up for a year now---It's getting old.
Then I see other states having Mass Vaccinations.

Bear

That's fine, if you can avoid it that much longer.
I've been holed up for a year now---It's getting old.
Then I see other states having Mass Vaccinations.

Bear
Yeah same as you. Only difference is I am going to the grocery store. Haven't been to a restaurant since February 15 2020(my bday) or anywhere else non grocery related. I don't get out much in regular life anyways but I miss the option. I know what you mean about vacs being with held. Tennessee stockpiled the first several rounds of ours instead of distributing immediately

Mrs. Wurtz and I had "the flu" around November for couple of days visiting our family in Bluffton , near Hilton Head over Thanksgiving. Felt like a bad hangover
with joint pain. After 3 days, felt a whole lot better, cleared up within 2 weeks. Anyway, growing up on a PA farm coupled with all of the vaccinations from a 39 year career with the Army, I really don't think any self respecting germ would live in this body?!
All said and done, please use common sense, keep moving and eating, stay safe & healthy. We need each other's wisdom! 🍻

LOL---Last Fall, I got my first FLU shot ever.
Mrs Bear always got a FLU shot, and I kidded her, "My No FLU shot works as good as your FLU shot"---Neither of us got the FLU.

But this time I figured I better get a FLU shot, so if I get something, I'll know it isn't the FLU, and it could be Covid.

So far all I have is all my other aches, pains, and breathing problems.

Bear

LOL---Yeah Impressive list, but only 5 of them are even in our area.

Bear
We technically only have 3 but Walmart and Walgreens both have 2 stores. Regardless, it increases the actual locations where vaccines are available and spreads out people. No body is doing evening appointments... yet.

Just got finished with a telehealth appointment with my doctor at the VA. Said it would likely be 3 months before I can get a vaccine
Quite a difference from Wyoming. We have two Vet hospitals and smaller clinics scattered around the state. A couple of weeks ago it was announced that any vet (regardless of age) could schedule an appointment at one of the local clinics. I believe the servicemen and women at our Air Force Missile Wing Base (for the Minuteman III missile silos) have been vaccinated. So, are you saying you can't get a vaccination at a non-Vet facility? If so, why not?

We technically only have 3 but Walmart and Walgreens both have 2 stores. Regardless, it increases the actual locations where vaccines are available and spreads out people. No body is doing evening appointments... yet.

Quite a difference from Wyoming. We have two Vet hospitals and smaller clinics scattered around the state. A couple of weeks ago it was announced that any vet (regardless of age) could schedule an appointment at one of the local clinics. I believe the servicemen and women at our Air Force Missile Wing Base (for the Minuteman III missile silos) have been vaccinated. So, are you saying you can't get a vaccination at a non-Vet facility? If so, why not?
Here the state is vaccinating 75 and over currently but the VA is vaccinating 55 and over. The 3 months he told me was when my age group would be available. I'm 39. And yes I can be vaccinated basically anywhere just seems it's gonna be a while

I looked at the VA web site, and every place they mention getting a Vac shot, they include that you have to be already registered & using VA services.
So apparently my 10 Comorbidities & my 100% Disability means nothing to them, because I'm not a regular at their hospitals. Plus I think the closest one is about 100 miles away.

Bear

This was a email I got from my va today about vaccines
Screenshot_20210225_172852.png
Screenshot_20210225_172903.png

Here the state is vaccinating 75 and over currently but the VA is vaccinating 55 and over. The 3 months he told me was when my age group would be available. I'm 39. And yes I can be vaccinated basically anywhere just seems it's gonna be a while
Gotcha, they are managing doses based on the number of resident Vets in the state. Our total population is only 500,000 so there are much fewer Vets in the lower age groups here.

I looked at the VA web site, and every place they mention getting a Vac shot, they include that you have to be already registered & using VA services.
So apparently my 10 Comorbidities & my 100% Disability means nothing to them, because I'm not a regular at their hospitals. Plus I think the closest one is about 100 miles away.

Bear
My Viet Nam era Vet friends have already gotten theirs, both are in the Disabled category and the age category... one Army and the other a Marine. But like I mentioned to Jake ↑↑↑ Wyoming has a low population of people in general and likely a low population of Vets.

Around here, all it takes is having any one of the recognized pre-existing or comorbidities for you to qualify for an earlier shot than the current age group.

A friend in Nashville who is a bartender (late 50's) got a call yesterday. If you can come now we got a vax for you. Him and his wife who is a flight attendant both got their first shots. Here in California its hurry up and wait still.

Reactions: TNJAKE

Bear
Here are some links, forms and instructions that I hope will be helpful to you and Mrs. Bear and other Vets on this Forum.
General Statement: Vets contact your state's VISIN Find Locations - Locations (va.gov) and follow the instructions below or on the web page. I'd try to submit everything via email with an attached PDF document, receipt received/read.

Bear this is specifically for you and Mrs. Bear:
  1. Contact VISN4 MEDCEN/Office in Pittsburg, Become a Patient - VA Healthcare-VISN 4
  2. Then submit VA form 10-10EZ (attached). How To Apply For VA Health Care | Veterans Affairs (on line completion or download)
  3. Looks like your closest Clinic is Allentown Outpatient Clinic - Allentown VA Outpatient Clinic (693B4) - Locations
  4. Here is a link to all of the VA PA Medical locations: Pennsylvania - Locations .
  5. And don't forget Mrs. Bear who is your dependent. 🍻

Attachments

• 10-10EZ-fillable.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: TNJAKE
My Viet Nam era Vet friends have already gotten theirs, both are in the Disabled category and the age category... one Army and the other a Marine. But like I mentioned to Jake ↑↑↑ Wyoming has a low population of people in general and likely a low population of Vets.

Around here, all it takes is having any one of the recognized pre-existing or comorbidities for you to qualify for an earlier shot than the current age group.
I'm medically retired and 100% service connected disabled but I assume my disabilities don't qualify me for early vaccinating since my doc said 3 months lol. All I know is the process for determining who gets it first is pretty crazy

tell me how this shot attacks the virus?? and what the difference is between the approved ones???? this tech and gene manipulation is been studied for a decade but now its just xxxxxxxx?? really tell me..what central system does it start in,,,,,,, my uncle had polio how many shots did it take and even playgrounds were deemed no go........

... All I know is the process for determining who gets it first is pretty crazy
Agreed. I'm trying to get it too but have a long wait. But this is one of those times where having others get vaccinated is almost as important as my own vaccination. Because as the vaccination rate goes up, the Covid infection rate comes down, hence the probability of my getting covid drops at the same rate, vaccinated or not. Taken to the limits, when Covid is eliminated (a theoretical construct only I suspect) there is zero need to be vaccinated.

Now if I hear that large doses are being wasted because of incompetence in distributing them, then I'll be angry, but for now I'm quite pleased with how things are going, even if I don't seem to be very high on "the list".

Agreed. I'm trying to get it too but have a long wait. But this is one of those times where having others get vaccinated is almost as important as my own vaccination. Because as the vaccination rate goes up, the Covid infection rate comes down, hence the probability of my getting covid drops at the same rate, vaccinated or not. Taken to the limits, when Covid is eliminated (a theoretical construct only I suspect) there is zero need to be vaccinated.

Now if I hear that large doses are being wasted because of incompetence in distributing them, then I'll be angry, but for now I'm quite pleased with how things are going, even if I don't seem to be very high on "the list".
Some of these vaccines have a short shelf life and if they're not given, they're thrown out. That's why if one can get on a list, they'll call if they have cancellations and you have to be ready to go right then. That's how a couple of friends of mine got theirs even though they should've been way farther down the list.

BTW, Jake, Bear, and you other vets, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! I much appreciate it.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Dad just told me today he gets his 1st shot next Tuesday. He's 84, finally retired from being a rural mail carrier on the Wednesday before last Thanksgiving... didn't wanna go through another winter in Iowa having to drive on our wonderful roads. Wasn't for sure if he was even gonna get one. Glad he is! Fairly healthy though and most people think he looks at least 10 years younger than he is.

Ryan

That might be my attitude if I was Young or Healthy, but since My Brother was in much better health than I am, and it only took him 15 days to die, I want to get my shot, before it gets me.

Bear

And Thank You "Smoking Allowed".

LOOKS LIKE THE BEAR GOT LUCKY, GUYS!!!

Everybody here was using that Rite-Aid Web Site.
Mrs Bear got Bethany's appointment on Thursday.
Then Bear Jr got his own on Friday.
They were both looking for Rite-Aid in Quakertown for Me, because Mrs Bear doesn't like to drive anywhere else, and I don't drive any more. I could if I had my truck yet, but her car is too much like a computer on wheels.
So I kept thinking about it, and I finally told her I would go to Allentown or Landsdale, or Broadheadsville, or some other place, as long as Bear Jr drove.
About a half hour later we got a call from Our Local Pharmacy, and they had 2 doses for today @ 1:45 and 2:00 right here in Macungie. We said yes. Then about an hour later they called & changed it to Monday @ 1:30 and 1:45. So if nothing changes, Mrs Bear & I will have our first doses by 2PM Monday.
I think they are Moderma, but I'm not sure.

Mrs Bear had just called them a couple days ago, and told the girl she knows, that their Web site keeps saying NY, when she tries to search it. The girl said She'd put our name on her list, but the list is 6 pages long, and it could be Months until they would call us. Mrs Bear said, Yes--Put our names on.
Then a couple days later she called us, and we're apparently in. However I won't be sure, until the needles hit our arms!!

We'll All be glad we can stop watching that Rite-Aid site so close, and being ready to jump on a dose as soon as it becomes available.

Best of Luck to the Rest of you guys!!!

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky