Couldn't stop myself!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hmmm yeah not at my house! I've convinced the wife we need a cedar or redwood hot tub, but she won't go for the wood fired option. A guy can still dream though!

Japanese wood heated furo!!! It's what western style hot tubs are based on. When you visited the "Greenwell store" museum did you also visit the kona coffee historical farm? That's the only furo I've ever seen but it was pretty cool...

What's in your box from Todd? I love japanese tubs. I tried to find one for a small bathroom remodel, too expensive. We now only have showers at the house. I think the smoker tub might fit in the shower. That would surprise the wife. Big metal tub full of bubbles.

Last edited:
Japanese wood heated furo!!! It's what western style hot tubs are based on. When you visited the "Greenwell store" museum did you also visit the kona coffee historical farm? That's the only furo I've ever seen but it was pretty cool...
Yes I did. Somewhere I have pictures. We've designed in a few ofuro style tubs in the houses that we design. We installed one at my mom's house, however it is fiberglass not wood.

What's in your box from Todd? I love japanese tubs. I tried to find one for a small bathroom remodel, too expensive. We now only have showers at the house. I think the smoker tub might fit in the shower. That would surprise the wife. Big metal tub full of bubbles.

Cherry pellets, pecan pellets, pitmasters choice pellets and two 6' hybrid probes. I also have a 18" amnts and qmat coming as well!

I keep reading about cherry this and pecan that I figured I had to try some! I got the 6' probes because the 3' probes just don't cut it in a 22.5 WSM!

I won the tube smoker but because I already had the 12" one I asked Todd to send me the 18" one and I'd pay for the upgrade. I also won the pitmasters choice pellets and qmat.

Congrats on the win! That's a fun box to get in the mail.

I like the cherry pellets, but the pecan has become my go to pellets when using my tubes. Living in Minnesota I'm lucky, every now and then I can run down to Todd's office a pick up stuff from him. In June I asked for a large bag of pecan and he brought out a 40 pounder. I've really found it works great for so many things. Love it with chicken! Which is great because I still have almost half the bag. Im wanting to pick up some of that pitmaster choice I've been hearing about.

I'd love to hear from you about the differences of the traditional wood from the mainland and all the more exotic island woods I've seen you mention. I have a nice supply of plum, apple, peach, oak, and maple wood cut up that I use for sticks and chunks but I've not had much experience with more tropical wood and I'm fascinated with what other woods have to offer flavor wise. Another reason I love these minis. Perfect for trying new things.

Cherry pellets, pecan pellets, pitmasters choice pellets and two 6' hybrid probes. I also have a 18" amnts and qmat coming as well!

I keep reading about cherry this and pecan that I figured I had to try some! I got the 6' probes because the 3' probes just don't cut it in a 22.5 WSM!

I won the tube smoker but because I already had the 12" one I asked Todd to send me the 18" one and I'd pay for the upgrade. I also won the pitmasters choice pellets and qmat.
Christmas in November! Congrats!

I mostly use four kinds of woods here: kiawe, coffee, guava (I have three varieties growing on my property) and ohia. A couple of weeks ago there was a county crew trimming trees back from the road in front of my FILs and I grabbed some avocado and mango to try.

Coffee and guava are okay.. Nothing special. But kiawe is awesome with poultry, pork or fish. Ohia is awesome with beef.

Wanna do a wood swap? PM me if you are intrrested...

I used an imusa pot for my build and yes the lid doesn't fit very well to the bottom of the pot. I just jigsawed the handle off and put three bolts on the inside of where I was gonna cut and three on the outside that would stay in and hold the lid to the bottom. It works for me...
My IMUSA pot wouldn't fit in its lid either.  So I turned the lid upside down, bent the edge of the lid to fit the SJ kettle, and riveted them together ala BDSkelly.  It raised the pot about 2":

Reactions: bdskelly

My IMUSA pot wouldn't fit in its lid either.  So I turned the lid upside down, bent the edge of the lid to fit the SJ kettle, and riveted them together ala BDSkelly.  It raised the pot about 2":

Great idea. And it gives you a bit more room for charcoal. 

Brian

points1.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky