Costco Garlic Seasoned Drums

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
So Costco had a ridiculous price on giant tubs of chicken drums, $1.49 lb. for ready-to-throw-on-the-grill drums. These aren't powdered garlic, but rather tons of minced garlic thoroughly within the seasoning.
I found the smallest tub I could, at 8.36 pounds. They barely fit on my Daniel Boone. Cooking them now at 300°-3-325°. I'll let you know how they come out.

20210403_163831.jpg
20210403_173416.jpg

Took about an hour, but they're done. Flavor is good, but oddly it could have used more salt. I tend not to salt store-bought things like this, as they are usually very salty to begin with. As you can see, the right side of my Daniel Boone is still hotter than the left. I left the underdone ones in a little longer.
20210403_184519.jpg
20210403_185431.jpg

My pellet smoker is also hotter on the right. Legs look delicious. Hope you have a crowd to eat them!

My pooper is a right hand hopper so the left side tends to go warmer.

I'm also cautious of store bought seasoned food.
Those legs are mouth watering.
Got a couple of teenage boys?

My pooper is a right hand hopper so the left side tends to go warmer.

I'm also cautious of store bought seasoned food.
Those legs are mouth watering.
Got a couple of teenage boys?
No, but I have a couple of pre-teen grandsons who enjoyed them! There were PLENTY leftover, so I dropped them by my daughter's place on Easter. Kids thought that was kinda weird, but didn't complain once they started chowing down.

I've tried sliding the diffuser box left and right, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. So if I'm doing a brisket, I always put the thick side on the right.

Last edited:
That's some pretty severe temp variation. Must be due to the fact that the hot smoke is exhausting on the right side. Particularly for flat drumsticks and briskets, you have plenty of room at the top of the cook chamber to extend that exhaust port inward so it's taking the heat out more from the center of the cooking space. Have you tried that? Find a sheet of steel about 9x12" and roll it into a 3"dia x 12" long cylinder. You hand-roll it so it wants to spring open...that way it stays in place as you stuff it into the GMG exhaust. You can then trim down the 12" dimension so the opening can be tuned to the optimal position between center and far right that gives the best left-to-right temp distribution. The front to rear variation looks good but one could also "flare" the open end (instead of it being square-cut) to favor front or rear exhausting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky