Tremendous Tomahawks!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
This is a story of gratitude and graciousness, of online camaraderie that is uncommon and should be treasured just like any friendship should.

An unnamed SMF member sent me an early Christmas present.
And I was truly and thoroughly blown away with what arrived on my doorstep.
A rather large box, and it was heavy, I opened the top to find a styrofoam cooler.
Upon opening that, my jaw about hit the floor, for inside were three almost unimaginably huge Tomahawk Ribeyes measuring 36oz, 3 inch thick, 2 feet long.
Oh My Gosh! Pinch me, cause I must be dreaming.

So cutting a long story short, today I cooked and tried to do these justice.

The Menu
Tomahawk Ribeyes
Hasselback Au Gratin Potatoes
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Cast Iron Onions
Grilled Bell, Jalapeno and Ghost Peppers
Garlic Toast

The Tomahawks
Dry brined each side with Kosher salt, then seasoned with tx smoker tx smoker 's new Beef Seasoning and wrapped the rib bones in foil.
Into the smoker at 275°-300° over Mesquite to an IT of 110°.
Then onto a very hot grill to sear and finish at an IT of 130°.

x1BnHaJ.jpg

BzgsjbR.jpg

Out of the Smoker

LHx4AJ3.jpg

On the Grill

eLXYz8Z.jpg

On the Cutting Board

OuNUd3Z.jpg \

37jXv9i.jpg

Hasselback Au Gratin Potatoes
Preheat oven to 400°
Grease a 9"x12" casserole dish.
6lbs of 1/8 inch sliced potatoes.
I'm thankful for my mandoline slicer.

Here's a tip, lay potatoes end to end in casserole dish till full, now add 2-3 more to make sure dish is packed tight.

6oz Guyere
6oz Parmesan Reggiano
6oz Smoked Gouda

1C chopped Bacon or Ham (optional)
*I'd rather the cheese be the Star of this dish*

1 medium onion, minced
3C Heavy cream
1T heaping of minced Garlic
2T fresh Thyme leaves
Generous amounts of salt and black pepper.

Set aside 1/3 of the cheese for a topping.
In a large mixing bowl combine cheeses, cream, garlic, onion and thyme.
Add bacon/ham if using.
Add Salt and pepper to taste

lpY0vtD.jpg

Add potatoes and coat thoroughly, separate slices that are stuck together. Pack casserole dish tightly with potatoes, slices vertically aligned.
Pour leftover cheese sauce over the potatoes, about half way up the potatoes
You may not use all the sauce.

tStB7KV.jpg

I used too much sauce.

9hQ0eaw.jpg

Tightly cover dish with foil, bake 45 minutes.
Uncover, bake 45 minutes.
Add rest of cheese to top, bake 30 minutes, or until till well browned.

uqksG7l.jpg

Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Cast Iron Onions, cooked in bacon grease
Grilled Bell, Jalapeno and Ghost peppers

Partially cooking the bacon avoids overcooking to Asparagus.

pAR54tn.jpg

If the onions try to come apart, use a smaller skillet as a press.

JV2ECTv.jpg

Watch out for that little, bright orange chile from hell, he'll hurt you.

Dopjjru.jpg

The Money Shots

liQtmiE.jpg

2SGBgrs.jpg

5lQyoNH.jpg

BwvCXlM.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful plates and throughly enjoyable post to read. Bookmarking this as I plan on using your potato sauce to do au gratin daikon radishes someday soon. It sounds decadently delicious.

And a great presentation too. What was your beverage pairing?

Tricky with the complexities of the fats and flavors.
Wine would be tricky. Too subtle and it will be drowned out by the meal, too bold and flavors complete leaving both the meal and wine understated.
Unorthodox, but champagne/cava/prosecco could work, but I'd consider a DIPA as the best choice.

John that is a very nice gesture on someones part,you turned it into an artist palate POINTS
Richie

Wow! Just wow! I’ve never seen a steak that big let alone cooked one. You certainly did those the way they were meant to be...nothing short of perfection.

Talk about a money shot!! Like!

What did you think of those potatoes?

Man o man!
You just keep amazing me with the food you put out!
Absolutely delicious looking!
Al

John....that looks absolutely amazing and simply gorgeous. You did your friend proud and did those steaks justice, especially with all the beautiful stuff you prepared to accompany them Fantastic job as usual. Big LIKE!!

Silly question though....what's your honest take on the seasoning? Any input would be greatly appreciated if you see room for improvement.

All I can say is WOW!!
Robert

Reactions: chopsaw
John....congrats on the much deserved carousel ride!! If ever there was a worthy meal, this is it!!

Chili rockin' it again!!
Robert

That steak is out of this world fantastic. I would love to get my hands on one of those. I think ill ask for meat for Christmas this year! Nice job!

Yep....Chile started the trend of monster beef ribs, now I wonder if this will be the next trend he starts :emoji_anguished:

Chile....ever the trendsetter,
Robert

Chile, this is an unbelievable looking meal! Those onions are really catching my eye. Nice job and terrific post as always.

Last edited:
What a fabulous present and beautiful cook/meal to celebrate the gift.

This place is true camaraderie for sure!! This is the best group of people I have ever met, learned from, been supported by, and on and on.

Merry Christmas Chili!

Perfection Chili!

Like the SS top you have in your kitchen!

I need to get better friends........

OMG!! Everything Looks Perfect, John!!
If there is any one particular Number One Cook out of all of your magnificent Cooks, this one would have a good chance of being that one.
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky