Black Garlic Chipotle Braised Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I mentioned the Black Garlic fascination last week. This was my most recent cook I meant to post earlier in the week, but I’m traveling for work and haven’t had a lot of time. My first attempt at the black garlic ingredient last week had too much sweet, Black garlic is already very sweet. With this attempt I went with a huge dose of salty/umami to enhance the unique sweetness and decided to add chipotle to offer a balance. Normally I like to smoke before braising, but we were in a time crunch and had guests coming over with kids so this was all stove and oven. Ingredients and instructions were modified from online and books;

For the Braised ribs;
  • 4 (bone-in) short ribs, trimmed
  • 1 onions, diced
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 3 ribs of celery, diced
  • 10 cloves black garlic, smashed or chop
  • 2 chipotle peppers minced with sauce
  • 2 tablespoons minced thyme
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 12 cups red wine
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
  2. Pour 1 tablespoons oil into a large Dutch oven and place over medium-high heat.
  3. Generously season short ribs with salt and pepper (ideally night before) Day of cook sear for 2 to 3 minutes on ALL sides. Remove short ribs from pot and set aside.
  4. In same pot add onions, carrots and celery and sauté for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the 10 cloves black garlic, minced chipotle with sauce, and continue to sauté for an additional 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and stir.
  5. Deglaze pot with red wine, making sure to scrape any fond. Boil until liquid has been reduced by one third. Add short ribs back to the pot, in a single layer and top with broth.
  6. Bring to a boil again, remove from heat, add the thyme, cover and place into the oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until ribs are fork tender.
  7. Remove short ribs from braising liquid and set aside. Skim excess fat from top of braising liquid, but not all.
  8. Strain braising liquid, Place strained liquid in sauce pan on med low heat. Then make blonde rue. When rue is done slowly pour and whisk in strained simmering braise liquid until the sauce thickens and becomes smooth and glossy.
Seasoned :
2496424E-58C0-4A5B-99B8-515B3B61CF3A.jpeg

Seared on ALL sides, not just two.
2BA7F8A5-54FB-448E-AF1F-EEB8BFC65DD5.jpeg

Sauté:
2F335B7E-062A-49E8-B395-928EC6B9DF8E.jpeg

Ribs back in:
1A7368AC-7261-4CF7-A94F-309BCE120D25.jpeg

During braise I did a truffle herb mashed potato and Maitake or Hen of the wood and carrot with Maple Balsamic vinegar glaze.
For Mushrooms:
Ingredients
  • 32 oz organic, Maitake
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 4 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp coconut aminos (can substitute soy sauce or GF soy sauce, but would reduce to 1 1/2 Tbsp given sodium content)
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
Directions:
  1. Toast mushroom’s to get rid of excess moisture. Then put carrots in a large skillet with oil over medium heat and cook for 3-4 minutes until mushrooms begin to slightly soften.
  2. Put in mushrooms 3-4 minutes. Pour out excess liquid.
  3. Mix maple syrup, balsamic, coconut aminos and pepper in glass measuring cup and whisk well.
  4. After mushrooms and carrots are slightly softened, pour maple mixture into skillet and continue to sauté until mushrooms are fully soft and tender, approximately 10 minutes.
  5. While they are sautéing, remove thyme leaves from 2 sprigs and toss in pan.
  6. Once mushrooms are finished cooking, remove from heat and cover with foil until ready to serve.
If anyone wants the specific mashed potato recipe I used for this let me know, I’ll do my best, but those were very whim. My family typically loves the simmering herbs in a milk/sour cream mixture with garlic. Then rice potatoes and stir in mixture. For truffle on this I poured a few tablespoons while stirring in. I use whatever fresh herds ready in fridge, soft herbs go in for a minute or so.

Then, for stuff like this I plated everything for guests;

78FB1AF2-5D1B-41CB-BB99-7D97FFBD25DD.jpeg
1CF6457D-5FB2-4932-AC75-F7A508F184F5.jpeg

Well…that’s about it. All of us are hard on our cooking, but I was really happy with this one. The chipotle pepper was a perfect match for the black garlic and the salt/umami of the potatoes a perfect base. The maple shrooms were sweet, but subtle with carrots adding texture. Great meal, I appreciate your time!

Attachments

• 9FEFA97C-54AA-4C5E-929B-B5A8EA61E5F7.jpeg
    9FEFA97C-54AA-4C5E-929B-B5A8EA61E5F7.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 5
Heck yeah Jed! That looks delicious! I never cooked with black garlic before. Isn't it basically fermented garlic? I'll need to google that.

Ah, it isn't fermented. Now I saw a video where they say it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw
Now Jed , honestly ( not that I lied any other time )
This is for me one of your top meals I have seen and wish I could have tasted

1674210119529.png

And this picture is the best , 5:30 am and I want an order of those ribs,

oh well toast and peanut butter it is

Well done Jed

David

• Haha
Wow Jed. Smoke or not that looks awesome. I tried truffle in my cauliflower mash with both white and black oil. Not a fan. Might of been the oil I got.

Have mercy! Thats one of them high dollar max out the card type meals there. And I'd gladly pay it for a plate.

Jim

Great gawd Jed!! That looks ridiculously, insanely, absolutely gorgeous my friend!! A truly stunning meal that I''m overly envious of. Great work, great food, and a picture-perfect presentation.

Robert

Heck yeah Jed! That looks delicious! I never cooked with black garlic before. Isn't it basically fermented garlic? I'll need to google that.

Ah, it isn't fermented. Now I saw a video where they say it is!
Thank you Steve! Yes, it’s pretty neat stuff, surprisingly sweet and nutty, but still Carrie’s the garlic flavor. From looking around it seems to flip flop, but the ones I trusted the most it turns black and ages using mallard effect instead of fermentation.I just know they taste good!
This looks amazing!
Thank you KC! It came out incredible!
Now Jed , honestly ( not that I lied any other time )
This is for me one of your top meals I have seen and wish I could have tasted

View attachment 655168

And this picture is the best , 5:30 am and I want an order of those ribs,

oh well toast and peanut butter it is

Well done Jed

David
Thank you David!! I really appreciate the compliment. This is definitely the best short rib I’ve ever done. I was really excited with the results, it was delicious! You are welcome here anytime and I’ll do my best to repeat!!!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow Jed. Smoke or not that looks awesome. I tried truffle in my cauliflower mash with both white and black oil. Not a fan. Might have been the oil I got.
Thank you Brian! The truffle oil is tricky. There’s been a few times we’ve tried it where it wasn’t great, but a few times it came out great. This batch came out great and I think it was because I poured in about two tablespoons as a finishing sauce when the mash was all together. So the truffle was more a supporting flavor over being front and center. I’ve had better luck going lighter with a lot of other bold flavors as a finish.
Great looking meal
Thank you Jim!
Have mercy! Thats one of them high dollar max out the card type meals there. And I'd gladly pay it for a plate.

Jim
Thank you Jim! We were really excited with it. Definitely the closest I’ve come to high end meal in over all balance and I was really excited! You guys here have definitely elevated my cooking!
Great gawd Jed!! That looks ridiculously, insanely, absolutely gorgeous my friend!! A truly stunning meal that I''m overly envious of. Great work, great food, and a picture-perfect presentation.

Robert
Thank you Robert! You’re very generous. As I’ve said before, I’ve enjoyed your inspiration doing a cohesive meal! So much fun to do and eat!

Dang Jed… that is beyond phenomenal my friend! Being a garlic fan, I’m very intrigued by the black garlic!

BTW, those last two pics are magazine cover awesomeness!

Dang Jed… that is beyond phenomenal my friend! Being a garlic fan, I’m very intrigued by the black garlic!

BTW, those last two pics are magazine cover awesomeness!
Who are you? Never seen the name before and right out of the gate you're calling one of the most respected members "friend". Takes some gall...my friend :emoji_astonished: I do kinda like the name but it's gonna take some getting used to. Just don't change your avatar for a while please. I'll never know who the Hell you are :emoji_laughing:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky