Cornish Hens stuffed with Boudin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goodtiminchad

Original poster
Oct 22, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Hello all,

So I tried my hand at smoking some cornish game hens, or as I like to call them "Supper Chickens." I don't cook much bird, so this was a new experience for me.

First I began with an overnight brine. Nothing special just some water, kosher salt, and I mixed in a failed sweet and spicy dry rub that I tried to create a few months back (not a very good try rub, but makes for a flavorful brine).

Next, I fired up the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker to 275° and added a little apple wood to get a little smoke going. For moisture I added 1 part orange juice and 1 part beer. I like to use a really hoppy beer for poultry so I used an IPA, I don't know if it really makes a difference but its what I do.

While the fire heated up I pulled the birds out of the brine, rinsed, and patted dry. I couldn't find any fresh boudin around here so I purchased some pre-packaged stuff at the grocery store and it was pretty good. I cut it out of the casings and put it in a bowl to mash up and heated it in the microwave for about 30 seconds so it would be a little easier to stuff.

Stuffed the cavity with as much boudin as it would hold, tied the legs together, folded the wings back, and gave them a nice massage with EVOO. Then I sprinkled the birds with a pre-made "New Orleans" blend of spices.

The smoker was about 235° when I put them in. It only took about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half for the internal temperature to reach 165°. I then probed the boudin in the cavity to make sure whatever juices it absorbed at reached a safe temperature too. Pulled them out and wrapped them in loose foil for 20 minutes.

The backs were nice and golden brown and the breast was light and juicy (sorry forgot to get a breast picture). I found a few veggies in the fridge and roasted those in the over. 

Overall I would call it a success and definitely recommend you try it. 

Nice job. 
icon14.gif

When our kids were younger I used to do game hens a lot. They got a kick out of having their own personal chicken. Looks neat plated up too. 

Great idea! I just happened to pull out a couple of cornish hens to smoke this evening and also have some boudin in the fridge. You've inspired me to try that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky