CORNISH GAME HENS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well this is a first for me. I haven't smoked or even eaten a Cornish game hen in a long time. It just seemed like a lot of trouble for just a little meat. But boy was I wrong. I bought a 2 pack & cooked both of them for Judy & I. Neither one of us could eat the whole thing. There is a lot of meat on those little guys. The ones I picked up were about 1 3/4 lbs. each. I used the Smoke Vault for the smoker & ran it at 325-350. I pulled them out when the breast was at 157, and after a 15 minute rest, we ate them with some wild rice. I think next time I may use the rice as a stuffing. For a rub I just used Montreal chicken seasoning. I brined them for 24 hours in a salt, sugar, red pepper flakes, & Montreal seasoning brine. I didn't take a lot of photo's, but here is what I got. Didn't take long to get to temp. I'm using hickory chunks as the wood.
1.JPG

Here they are after about 1/2 hour.

2.JPG

There just getting some nice color!

3.JPG

All done & resting

4.JPG

And finally on the plate, The legs & wings just pulled right off, the skin was crispy, & the white meat was very juicy!! I know the plate looks kinda sloppy, but there was a lot of juice & we were hungry.
5.JPG

They only took about 1:15 hour to cook & I will definitely be doing these again in the near future!
Thanks for looking folks!
Al

Those look great Al. Teri and I smoke them from time to time. They are perfect size for us empty nest folks. I usually do 4 and vac pack 2 for later. In fact I think there are 2 in the freezer now! Like! B

Looks good . Haven't had them in a very long time either . That's a fun cook for sure .

Look good Al.... I guess I'm gonna pick up a couple now.... I like them... Been a few years but they are good...

Those look amazing Al, nice job on that one.

Point for sure.

Chris

Wow Those birds look great Al
Never brined chicken before but i'm thinking that could be next on my list of things to try.

Al the plated shot looks like they were stuffed,mouth watering drooling Points for you
Richie

Those look great Al. Teri and I smoke them from time to time. They are perfect size for us empty nest folks. I usually do 4 and vac pack 2 for later. In fact I think there are 2 in the freezer now! Like! B

Looks good . Haven't had them in a very long time either . That's a fun cook for sure .

Perfect color !!! Looks amazing ...

Look good Al.... I guess I'm gonna pick up a couple now.... I like them... Been a few years but they are good...

Those look amazing Al, nice job on that one.

Point for sure.

Chris

Wow Those birds look great Al
Never brined chicken before but i'm thinking that could be next on my list of things to try.

Those look mighty Tasty, Al !!:)
I could handle one of them Right Now!!
Like.

Bear

Looks good Al!

Al the plated shot looks like they were stuffed,mouth watering drooling Points for you
Richie

Thanks a lot fellas!
Appreciate the kind words & the likes!
Al

Looks really good Al, I cant' remember the last time I had one. I think I was in my teenage yrs it's been so long, Definitely going to have to try that with the wife... Like for sure.

Looks great,2 different sizes ,years ago the small were $1 each,would pu 4-6 to take on camping hunting trips,them days are gone $6 neighborhood for a 2 pack these days

Love them bit are super expensive here.

Yours look great, might have to work out the money to buy some.

Actually Cornish hens and chicken liver wild rice stuffing is in our regular rotation. Glad to see you have re-discovered an old staple. Well done sir!!! LIKE

Looks really good Al, I cant' remember the last time I had one. I think I was in my teenage yrs it's been so long, Definitely going to have to try that with the wife... Like for sure.

Looks great,2 different sizes ,years ago the small were $1 each,would pu 4-6 to take on camping hunting trips,them days are gone $6 neighborhood for a 2 pack these days

Love them bit are super expensive here.

Yours look great, might have to work out the money to buy some.

Actually Cornish hens and chicken liver wild rice stuffing is in our regular rotation. Glad to see you have re-discovered an old staple. Well done sir!!! LIKE

Thank you guys!
I can't believe how I have not eaten these guys in such a long time!
We finished them up last night by chopping up the meat & putting it in a salad.
So we ended up with 2 meals out of those little guys!
Al

Reactions: wbf610
Looks great been 20 years since I cooked hens.
Just a note...Between the high smoker temp and the size of the birds, Stuffing is safe.
Stuffed larger birds, especially smoking them low and slow can be dangerous...JJ

Great looking hens Al! My lady will only eat white meat on a chicken, but eats everything on a cornish hen!

Mike

Our store often has these at low prices, and seeing what you did is motivation to pick some up. As always Al, your meal looks delicious!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky