Corned Beef Sales?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
Anybody in So Cal seeing a really exceptional price on corned beef at any of the grocery stores? I would really like to stock up if I can find a great deal. The best price I have seen so far is the Blarney Stone brand point cut for $1.99lb. Flat cuts seem to be bottoming out at Walmart at $3.49lb. Any chance you have come across any great deals? Inquiring minds want to know :)

G

It was explained to me this way many years ago..... Premium producers like Grobble's for example, buy a good grade of briskets year-round, their corning process is consistent from batch to batch, but you might not see them on sale too often. Medium grade producers rely on cheaper cuts (or mis-cut, or too fatty cuts) of brisket, so they can sell at a lower price and or sale prices. Then there are brands that pop up around St Patrick's Day and are hit or miss with meat quality and curing quality.

I like to stick to a known and trusted brand, especially for taking corned beef all the way to pastrami. If I see them on sale great.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Aldi has their Cattleman's Ranch brand USDA Choice flats this week for $2.99/lb. They had their corned beef brisket points this past week for$1.99/lb. First time I have ever bought one and it might have been pretty good if I didn't screw it up.

I making my own but had to go to Walmart, I dont usualy do walmart but needed furnace filters and seen some nice corned beef without water! They where like 4.50 but the ones with water who know how much they really cost minus water.

I'm sure you've noticed that Grobbel's flats almost always have a wedge of point on them to keep the thickness consistent. It's good meat cutting on their part.
Lol yep. I even noted that in my last pastrami thread

Reactions: thirdeye
I'd love to do a full packer brisket corned beef cure on my own but I can't figure out where I could keep it. I'm no sure I could create enough space in my fridge for that to cure for all of the time that it takes. I've really come to enjoy the traditional method of cooking in Guinness. I did one in my instant pot on New Years Eve in like 90 minutes. Man that was tasty.

G

I'd love to do a full packer brisket corned beef cure on my own but I can't figure out where I could keep it. I'm no sure I could create enough space in my fridge for that to cure for all of the time that it takes. I've really come to enjoy the traditional method of cooking in Guinness. I did one in my instant pot on New Years Eve in like 90 minutes. Man that was tasty.

G

I think I might do that with the one I have curing. I just using a chuck. I smoked the point I had took out this weekend and glad I did. Was like butter.

I think I might do that with the one I have curing. I just using a chuck. I smoked the point I had took out this weekend and glad I did. Was like butter.
Sounds like a plan. The recipe that I found to work really well pretty much uses a bottle of Guinness, some beef broth, a half head of garlic, some brown sugar, and a half of an onion. In the Instant Pot and 90 minutes later that corned beef is awesome. Of course you can do the cabbage, carrots, and potatoes with the liquid after the fact. A few minutes later and you are rocking a fine Irish meal.

G

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
As long as we're kicking the (pastrami) can down the road.... quite some time ago I published a recipe on my cookin' site (and I tested it first) that was quite unusual to me. It came from Bobberqer who I met online. And it was the glaze options that intrigued me. Personally I'm not into sauces, especially sweet sauces, but I've made this for parties and it works for some folk's tastes. I do make a change on finishing for tenderness. Anyhoo... this dude was Irish to the core, so here we go:

Here is a Guest Pit Boss technique that comes from Bobberqer. It also uses store-bought corned briskets:

Pre-soak the brisket(s) for 48 hours in cool water (iced to maintain the temperature below 40°, or kept in the refrigerator in a bucket or zipper bag). Add some roughly cubed, raw potatoes to the water, (appox 2 pounds) to help soak up some of the salts that are drawn out of the brisket. Change the water, and potatoes, every 12 hours. Some of the water from the last soak may be saved and used for boiling cabbage.

At the end of the soaking time discard the potatoes, remove the brisket, and let dry. Then apply the following rub, reserving some for another coating before slicing. Wrap brisket in plastic, then refrigerate overnight.

RUB:
4 parts ground peppercorns
4 parts ground coriander seeds
2 parts Turbinado sugar
2 parts ground Juniper berries
1 part ground onion powder
1 part thyme, ground
1 part paprika
1 part ground garlic powder
1 part ground ginger
1/2 part ground cloves
1/2 part ground nutmeg

On cooking day bring brisket to room temperature, then cook with an indirect set up at 275° (grate temperature) until the internal temperature is 180°. Allow about 1 hour per pound for cooking.

During the last 1/2 hour of the cook, glaze the brisket with one of these two concoctions, then rest about 1/2 hour, re-apply rub liberally, then slice against the grain and serve. This is Heaven.

Glaze # 1
1 cup honey
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar

Heat liquids gently, over low heat, until warm to touch. Then add cinnamon, and slowly mix in confectioner’s sugar until thoroughly mixed. Take off heat, set aside until needed, Use to glaze meat while on cooker. Reserve some glaze to serve on the side at the table.

Glaze # 2
1-16 oz package fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar, (Turbinado sugar is a nice touch)
1 jar, approximately, 10 oz. of Red Currant Jam
1- 8 oz container of Honey Mustard

Put cranberries in a 3-4 Qt pot on low, and add sugar... stir occasionally, cook until cranberries start to "pop". Add Red Currant Jam, and Honey Mustard and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes, stirring a few times during the process. Take off heat, set aside until needed use to glaze meat while on cooker. Reserve some glaze to serve on the side at the table.
Cooks Notes:
I'm of an Irish, "off the boat” heritage, and have been tweaking this recipe since the mid 70's. Only in the last 4 years have I hit what I call "Corn Beef Nirvana".
Bobberqer

Reactions: RiversideSm0ker
Maybe not a deal based on your prices mentioned, but these are the best I've had ever. Get them at Costco every year, heading over there tomorrow to pick up a few, it's that time of year.

20190225_182745.jpg

It looks well marbled, but the label says corned beef round. What cut is it? It looks like brisket to me.
Not sure what specific from the round, but it isn't brisket. I liked the marbling and gave it a shot a few years back. Really tender and slices perfectly. I've cooked a few different ways including smoked and have not been disappointed.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I jumped on the 1.99 point at Aldi last week. It came out amazing. The wife immediately asked if I could get more. This week I got the flat for 2.99. that one will be for the 17th.

I jumped on the 1.99 point at Aldi last week. It came out amazing. The wife immediately asked if I could get more. This week I got the flat for 2.99. that one will be for the 17th.
Nice.
Checked 3 times, but our Aldi never got in any points for the sale last week, just had lots of flats at 3.99 and still the same this week.
Picked up a couple chucks for less elsewhere and going into the brine today.
Also a couple StLouis racks for 1.79 going on today or tomorrow.
Wont be near a Sam’s until next week to look for a brisket, maybe Wallyworld.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky