Smoked Pepper Crusted Beef Tenderloin: Best Meal Ever!! (Long & Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Over the fence, out of the park, and across the street! To say you nailed that cook would be a massive understatement Robert, best hunk of beef these eyes have ever seen, great piece of work!

Wow Ray, that is an incredible compliment my friend. Can't thank you enough.

Robert, super job. I have never seen anything cooked so perfectly. Are you sure you didn't Photshop it? :)

Thanks so much Rob and I assure you that it was not Photoshopped. I did clarify it a bit but that's it. The colors as you see them here are exactly as they were. Truth be told, I've never used Photoshop or any similar program and wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

Perfection on the tenderloin Robert! Those mini mushroom casseroles look VERY interesting. Gonna have to give 'em a try.

Very much appreciate it. The flavor of the mushroom casseroles was outstanding. As noted though, they just needed a bit more bread crumbs to tighten them up.

Robert

Robert, that tenderloin is beautiful. It appears that your cabinet build is doing you right.

Thanks so much and you are 100% correct. I am absolutely loving that smoker. Best piece of equipment I own.

Doing a Prime Rib this weekend myself - may have to consider that lovely looking pepper crust! That really looks perfectly cooked!!!

I / we do love the pepper crust. Please note though to run the temp fairly high for the first little while to set the crust then back if off to very low temp. That's where the edge to edge pink comes from.

My kind of meal Robert. I could definitely enjoy a plate. You are tempting me with your offer of exchange with this thread my friend!!! LOL!!

You know me buddy, I'm always open to a trade :emoji_wink: Thoroughly enjoy swapping food related goodies back and forth with folks here.

Robert

Geez when your late for the party everything has been said so I say ditto to all the above statements and just an awesome meal.

Thank you Warren. In high society circles it's known as "fashionably late" so you're still good my friend. I do appreciate you dropping in though.

Robert

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Of all the different cuts I've had from CPB, I never got the tenderloin. Matter of fact, I had not bought or eaten filet mignon for the better part of 15 years. There are several other cuts that are extremely good, very flavorful, and at a much lower price point. When I did my last online order from CPB and had everything in the cart we wanted, I was short of getting free shipping so decided to give it a shot and ordered a 2 pound tenderloin roast. Invited a couple friends over and did it last weekend on the new cabinet smoker I built. Also tried something totally off-the-wall and creative: mushroom and onion mini casseroles. These were fun and unbelievably good. Some of you might want to try these so gonna get into some detail on them.

The roast
View attachment 526071

Rubbed with a little Worcestershire sauce, a light sprinkle of kosher salt, and loaded up with black pepper
View attachment 526072

Making our beloved sour cream and onion rolls. The dough after the second proof
View attachment 526073

Now we get the mushrooms started. Sliced Baby Bellas and into a pan with butter and garlic
View attachment 526074

A splash of beef broth, some black pepper, and a dollop of BTB beef base
View attachment 526075

Cook them till they are just starting to soften up. They will cook more later. Coarsely chop and into a bowl with lots of onions, bread crumbs, crushed red pepper, a sprinkle of kosher salt, and a bit of the broth from them being cooked.
View attachment 526076

Mix it all up really well and firmly press into 4" hamburger bun molds
View attachment 526077

Dough portioned out for the rolls and proofed for the third time
View attachment 526078

Doing loaded twice-baked potatoes. Taters cooked and hollowed out
View attachment 526079

Take what you scoop out of the taters and mix it with some butter, milk, sour cream, minced garlic, salt, pepper, bacon bits, shredded cheddar, and parsley. Then stuff it all into the shells.
View attachment 526080

Roast on the smoker at 235. Ran this temp for about 40 minutes to set the crust then dropped it to 210 to finish
View attachment 526081

Rolls done and out of the oven. I love those onion chunks all through the rolls and I always add more minced onion when starting the dough.
View attachment 526082

Put together a basic appetizer plate. The sausage was a gift from our good friend @xray in a Christmas exchange we did. That stuff is insanely good!!
View attachment 526083

Roast is at 110 IT so onto the grill go the mushrooms and stuffed taters.
View attachment 526084

Roast done and getting happy for a few minutes while I get the rest of the stuff together
View attachment 526085

The mini mushroom casseroles off the grill and molds removed. They stayed together. That was a big concern before starting these as I've never seen anything like this done before
View attachment 526086

I think I've died and gone to Heaven!!
View attachment 526087

All sliced up. It's kinda messy with the pepper all over the place but oh well.....I shut the smoker down when the IT was 127 and cracked the door to let the heat out. IT maxed out at 131.
View attachment 526088

The whole spread. Rick and Susan brought a nice salad as a table offering
View attachment 526089

Finally time to eat. This is my first of several plates
View attachment 526090

When I say this was the best meal we have ever had, that is not an exaggeration in any way. I've been blessed to enjoy some extraordinary food in my life, including a few trips to 5-star restaurants. Nothing before this even comes close. The roast had a deep, succulent, rich beef flavor and was tender beyond belief. It was literally tearing while I was slicing it, and that knife is razor sharp. With the smoker temps so low the burners were just putting out a very light smoke and the mesquite I used was a perfect but faint background flavor. The rolls are always a hit and have become a mainstay. The taters shined in a big way and were about the tastiest ones I've done. A true star though were the mushroom mini casseroles. They were outstanding. My only take-away on them would have been to use more bread crumbs. They did stay together while cooking but you had to be really careful transferring them onto the plate. They just needed to be a bit firmer. Sorry to all but I didn't measure a thing...just threw it all together as I went. Final note: the tenderloin was so good that Tracy gave me the green light to order a whole case of them when we get some room in the freezers. That's a HUGE compliment from her being that the price per pound for them on the wholesale side is very good compared to grocery stores but you have to buy a lot of it. That makes for a pretty hefty price tag but it's oh so worth it!!

Well this one is a wrap...finally. Y'all stay safe, take care, and we will see ya soon.

Robert, Tracy, and the fat dog
Another incredible meal Robert. One of these days I am going to just close my eyes on checkout to get some CPB meat.

Fantastic, Robert !!
You never cease to amaze me with your Total Meals!!
Everything is Perfect !!
And the Write-up is right up there, with it !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Thank you David. The mushroom and onion casseroles were a lot of fun and really good. I had no baseline to work from though so had to shoot from the hip. I bet you could do something really amazing with them.

Well shooting from the hip is great when you hit the mark like that. If any vegetarians came to this forum, they would love this idea also for their kind of casseroles.

David

Wow Ray, that is an incredible compliment my friend. Can't thank you enough.

Thanks so much Rob and I assure you that it was not Photoshopped. I did clarify it a bit but that's it. The colors as you see them here are exactly as they were. Truth be told, I've never used Photoshop or any similar program and wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

Very much appreciate it. The flavor of the mushroom casseroles was outstanding. As noted though, they just needed a bit more bread crumbs to tighten them up.

Robert

Another incredible meal Robert. One of these days I am going to just close my eyes on checkout to get some CPB meat.

Thanks so much for the kind words. If you decide to pull the trigger on some CPB products, please send me a PM before doing so. I can help ease the pain at checkout by a considerable amount :emoji_wink:

I guess with piece of meat that expensive you don't want to botch things. Looks professional

Truth be told, it was more about creating a top shelf meal for my wife and our friends than it was about the price. You are correct though that I didn't want to botch it up :emoji_laughing:

Fantastic, Robert !!
You never cease to amaze me with your Total Meals!!
Everything is Perfect !!
And the Write-up is right up there, with it !!
Nice Job!

Thanks so much Bear. That is quite an honor you've bestowed on me. To be honest though, a lot of what you saw in this thread I learned from you. Your legacy continues my friend!!

Robert

Well shooting from the hip is great when you hit the mark like that.

Thank you David. The roast was also shooting from the hip. Never done a whole tenderloin before. I guess what they say is true: even an old blind dog is gonna find a bone once in a while

Robert, I know you didn't Photoshop the roast. I was just amazed at how gorgeous it looked.

Thank you once again Rob. I know you didn't think it was Photoshopped and took your comment as a compliment, exactly as you intended sir. Just thought I should clarify before some folks might start getting the wrong ideas :emoji_laughing:

Ha I can asure I don't know anything about high society circles

That makes 2 of us Warren. I either read about it or saw it on TV that being fashionably late was in vogue.

Nothing I can write that hasnt been written but WOW! Thats gorgeous.

Thank you Jim. I was very happy with how it came out.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Of all the different cuts I've had from CPB, I never got the tenderloin. Matter of fact, I had not bought or eaten filet mignon for the better part of 15 years. There are several other cuts that are extremely good, very flavorful, and at a much lower price point. When I did my last online order from CPB and had everything in the cart we wanted, I was short of getting free shipping so decided to give it a shot and ordered a 2 pound tenderloin roast. Invited a couple friends over and did it last weekend on the new cabinet smoker I built. Also tried something totally off-the-wall and creative: mushroom and onion mini casseroles. These were fun and unbelievably good. Some of you might want to try these so gonna get into some detail on them.

The roast
View attachment 526071

Rubbed with a little Worcestershire sauce, a light sprinkle of kosher salt, and loaded up with black pepper
View attachment 526072

Making our beloved sour cream and onion rolls. The dough after the second proof
View attachment 526073

Now we get the mushrooms started. Sliced Baby Bellas and into a pan with butter and garlic
View attachment 526074

A splash of beef broth, some black pepper, and a dollop of BTB beef base
View attachment 526075

Cook them till they are just starting to soften up. They will cook more later. Coarsely chop and into a bowl with lots of onions, bread crumbs, crushed red pepper, a sprinkle of kosher salt, and a bit of the broth from them being cooked.
View attachment 526076

Mix it all up really well and firmly press into 4" hamburger bun molds
View attachment 526077

Dough portioned out for the rolls and proofed for the third time
View attachment 526078

Doing loaded twice-baked potatoes. Taters cooked and hollowed out
View attachment 526079

Take what you scoop out of the taters and mix it with some butter, milk, sour cream, minced garlic, salt, pepper, bacon bits, shredded cheddar, and parsley. Then stuff it all into the shells.
View attachment 526080

Roast on the smoker at 235. Ran this temp for about 40 minutes to set the crust then dropped it to 210 to finish
View attachment 526081

Rolls done and out of the oven. I love those onion chunks all through the rolls and I always add more minced onion when starting the dough.
View attachment 526082

Put together a basic appetizer plate. The sausage was a gift from our good friend @xray in a Christmas exchange we did. That stuff is insanely good!!
View attachment 526083

Roast is at 110 IT so onto the grill go the mushrooms and stuffed taters.
View attachment 526084

Roast done and getting happy for a few minutes while I get the rest of the stuff together
View attachment 526085

The mini mushroom casseroles off the grill and molds removed. They stayed together. That was a big concern before starting these as I've never seen anything like this done before
View attachment 526086

I think I've died and gone to Heaven!!
View attachment 526087

All sliced up. It's kinda messy with the pepper all over the place but oh well.....I shut the smoker down when the IT was 127 and cracked the door to let the heat out. IT maxed out at 131.
View attachment 526088

The whole spread. Rick and Susan brought a nice salad as a table offering
View attachment 526089

Finally time to eat. This is my first of several plates
View attachment 526090

When I say this was the best meal we have ever had, that is not an exaggeration in any way. I've been blessed to enjoy some extraordinary food in my life, including a few trips to 5-star restaurants. Nothing before this even comes close. The roast had a deep, succulent, rich beef flavor and was tender beyond belief. It was literally tearing while I was slicing it, and that knife is razor sharp. With the smoker temps so low the burners were just putting out a very light smoke and the mesquite I used was a perfect but faint background flavor. The rolls are always a hit and have become a mainstay. The taters shined in a big way and were about the tastiest ones I've done. A true star though were the mushroom mini casseroles. They were outstanding. My only take-away on them would have been to use more bread crumbs. They did stay together while cooking but you had to be really careful transferring them onto the plate. They just needed to be a bit firmer. Sorry to all but I didn't measure a thing...just threw it all together as I went. Final note: the tenderloin was so good that Tracy gave me the green light to order a whole case of them when we get some room in the freezers. That's a HUGE compliment from her being that the price per pound for them on the wholesale side is very good compared to grocery stores but you have to buy a lot of it. That makes for a pretty hefty price tag but it's oh so worth it!!

Well this one is a wrap...finally. Y'all stay safe, take care, and we will see ya soon.

Robert, Tracy, and the fat dog
That’s some of the finest meat I’ve seen in awhile! Awesome
Are there files to get recipes I’d like to give the sour cream and onion roll recipe a try.

That’s some of the finest meat I’ve seen in awhile! Awesome
Are there files to get recipes I’d like to give the sour cream and onion roll recipe a try.

Thank you for the kind words. The rolls are from a packaged kit I get from The Prepared Pantry. All of their stuff is top notch and a lot of folks here in the forum have started getting product from them. You can find the rolls and a whole bunch of other great stuff here:

Robert

Reactions: Gateman and Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky