Corned Beef Jerky Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
Over the weekend I thawed out two of those cheap store-bought overly-red corned beef brisket flats. I’ve made it before and the texture ends up very different from regular beef jerky. My best guess is the odd sheen and super chewiness is from the sodium phosphate they pump into it. So I set out to find a better way to make jerky from this cheap package. When you take them out of the package give them a good aggressive rinse under cold water to wash off that slimy sodium phosphate.

It needs to be soaked overnight with at least two changes of water. The first time I soaked the whole flat. This weekend I sliced the flats first and then soaked them which turned out to be the preferred way to desalinate them. It draws out more salt than soaking the entire flat. Don’t even try skipping the desalination process. It will be inedible. I made that mistake for you so don’t do it.

Second, I love to cut my jerky with the grain. So one flat I used my preferred cut and the other flat I cut across the grain. By the way, I cut all my jerky rather thick at 1/4”. It turns out that cutting it across the grain is far superior and makes the jerky much more chewable. Cutting it with the grain is far too chewy, even for me.

I got some corned beef jerky spice in bags from my local Penzey’s and I ground it up rather fine In my spice grinder. Penzey’s sells empty spice jars for cheap so get one while you’re at it. You can even ask for the sprinkle topper with the larger holes in it. After I lay out the strips on the drying racks I coat one side with this “rub.” It doesn’t have any salt because lord knows this meat doe not need more salt.

I put it in the dehydrator at 150 for 6-8 hours. I check them after 6 and start pulling the pieces that are done. Sorry, I don’t have pictures of the whole process. I only took one of the with-the-grain slices.

To recap, my recommendation is to slice across the grain and soak 8-10 hours changing water at least once. Temp, time, and topping are up to you.

5B1A4148-B710-4288-84CE-8B231A318A3F.jpeg
This is as they are starting the dehydration process. They look rather pale from the long soak.

Very cool! I haven’t had an urge to get into jerky yet, but the corned beef jerky is starting to make me think I need to try it just to try that! Awesome experiment!

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Sounds interesting!
Looking forward to hearing how it tastes!
I like ground beef jerky, but would like to try pork loin jerky!
Al

I'm really liking this concept. Using the corned beef sounds really interesting. Thanks so much for the results of your experiments also. That takes the guess work out of it for the rest of us...including the importance of the desalination process. Wow, I can only imagine how salty it'd be otherwise.

Robert

I'm really liking this concept. Using the corned beef sounds really interesting. Thanks so much for the results of your experiments also. That takes the guess work out of it for the rest of us...including the importance of the desalination process. Wow, I can only imagine how salty it'd be otherwise.

Robert
I was an idiot and prepared two brisket flats without desalination and ruined both. I love beef jerky and I love corned beef and so this combo is a winner. Next on the to-do list is to make homemade dry brined corned beef, without the sodium phosphate and see how that works.

I was an idiot and prepared two brisket flats without desalination and ruined both.

I get where you're coming from but that does not in any way make you an idiot. All it means is that you're human, and better than a lot of other humans out there. See...you learned from your mistake :emoji_wink: Not a one among us was born knowing everything (except my wife) so we learn as we go. Please don't tell her I said that :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: Sven Svensson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky