Corned Beef for use as a "Regular Smoked Brisket"?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hotburn76

Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
Findlay, Ohio
Sorry if this has been asked a lot, but was at the store and they had Corned Beef Briskets on sale.  They looked liked they where unspiced, just plain meet with a lot of juice in the package.  Can you use one of these as a smoked brisket or does it have to be a fresh unsalted one?  Thanks in advance!

Jason

Hey Hotburn,

While these are the same cuts of meat and both very awesome smoked...they are not at all interchangeable.

Smoked Corned Beef Brisket becomes pastrami.  Uncured brisket becomes..well just tasty awesomness.  Both are wonderful but not even close to the same flavor profile.

Corned beef is a brisket flat that has been soaked in a brine for many many days and will not taste like a regular plain brisket flat that you buy. But like the others said smoked corned beef (Pastrami) is awesome. I plan on loading my freezer as they go on sale here soon because I love them so much.

Hey Hotburn,

While these are the same cuts of meat and both very awesome smoked...they are not at all interchangeable.

Smoked Corned Beef Brisket becomes pastrami.  Uncured brisket becomes..well just tasty awesomness.  Both are wonderful but not even close to the same flavor profile.
  At Sam's the other day they had Corned beef Briskets on sale for $2 something a pound. So if you smoke one of those you get pastrami??

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!  Looks like I will be doing a Pastrami then!  Will have to watch for a regular brisket on sale.

Thanks again, 

Jason

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky