Cooking previously smoked meat.....just a little more please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Figured this might apply to all meats thus why I posted here.

Yesterday afternoon I get a call from a friend asking me to please try his recently smoked Salmon, so after work I went over and tried it.  My immediate reaction was though it was tasty, it really didn't feel cooked enough by both taste and lightly squeezing the filet.  Asked him what he felt the IT was when he pulled it out and he said around 135ish (yeah right!) after a 3 hour stint in his smoker.  He said his wife also felt it was a little too soft.  Argh!

So what can he do about this?  I thought maybe  put the batch in the oven at say 170-180 and do a slow cook up to an IT of 150ish?

Oh and yes he already froze the batch.   Double Argh!

I hate to see him toss all that nice fish and hoping we can find an answer.

Last edited:
If it's in the freezer you'll need to heat it up anyway.  How did you intend to serve it?   I would zap it with maybe a pat of butter if in a hurry or if you want to use the ovena bit of seasoning, olive oil or butter and bake till you get your desired IT.    

It isn't ruined, just not finished cooking.

I have no idea on how he would be serving it,  though I'd expect it would be just a finger type of snack on cracker food.  Thought he could thaw it all out, cook it a little longer and then refreeze it for future snacks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky