A Little Sweat Equity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
A friend knew I was looking for some pecan to smoke with. Around here, pecan trees are everywhere so you'd think it would be easy to find, but not so. Must be demand or something. Anyway, he called me up and said come on over and bring my chainsaw, he had the log splitter. After a few hours of work and the fruits of my labor...
20240209_100947[1].jpg

20240209_122048[1].jpg

A truckload to start, I'll be back next week to finish the job...

I've never tried pecan but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
A friend knew I was looking for some pecan to smoke with. Around here, pecan trees are everywhere so you'd think it would be easy to find, but not so. Must be demand or something. Anyway, he called me up and said come on over and bring my chainsaw, he had the log splitter. After a few hours of work and the fruits of my labor...
View attachment 688214
View attachment 688215

A truckload to start, I'll be back next week to finish the job...
Nice, all we seem to have up north is oak, maybe if we retire in SC I will get some Pecan and charter you out for some fishing!...what part of SC are you in (you can PM me if you do not want to put that info publicly)? We might be heading down in the spring to check out a few areas....Thanks

Nice, all we seem to have up north is oak, maybe if we retire in SC I will get some Pecan and charter you out for some fishing!...what part of SC are you in (you can PM me if you do not want to put that info publicly)? We might be heading down in the spring to check out a few areas....Thanks
Plenty of pecan and hickory trees around along with several varieties of oak just to name some of our selection available. Currently I have 6 different woods for smoking including the pecan, but it's green and will take awhile to season for smoking. Maybe by the end of summer?

Nice pecan splits!

We started 32 acres of timber (or forest if you prefer) stand improvement last week, Thursday. I have some hickory to collect. Plenty of red oak for firewood too,

I like the Red oak for the grill or smoker . Steaks cooked over Red oak is hard to beat .
How's the wild cherry over your way ? I hunted down in St. James , and it's full of wild cherry and Red oak .

chopsaw chopsaw
Wild cherry is scattered throughout. With the TSI, we are cutting them all down. We are favoring white oak most, then red oak, persimmons & and saving a few hickory trees.

Wild cherry are pretty 'buggy' trees, at least on my farm. The pileated woodpeckers can reduce one to rubble in a week if it gets infested. Fun to watch!

All cedars must die unless there is a deer stand in one or I am using them for a screen.

Emerald ash borer has killed every ash tree on the property.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Nice pecan splits!

We started 32 acres of timber (or forest if you prefer) stand improvement last week, Thursday. I have some hickory to collect. Plenty of red oak for firewood too,
Thanks Eric. Kind of interesting, but I own 32 acres that I have planted with pines...

Thanks Eric. Kind of interesting, but I own 32 acres that I have planted with pines...
Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke I actually have close to 100 acres of hardwood forest on my 123 acre farm. Hardly a pine around in this area unless planted in a yard.

I do watch YouTube video's with some of the land managers helping with pine forest management. Do you have problems with Sweet Gum?

I am actually doing TSI for wildlife habitat improvement and also to improve my future timber harvest. Conservation department, here in Missouri, will pay about 1/2 of the total TSI cost - which is nice!

That's awesome, Pecan has been a favorite in house for some time. But it's hard to find it like that, for me. I'm a little jealous. Lol

Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke I actually have close to 100 acres of hardwood forest on my 123 acre farm. Hardly a pine around in this area unless planted in a yard.

I do watch YouTube video's with some of the land managers helping with pine forest management. Do you have problems with Sweet Gum?

I am actually doing TSI for wildlife habitat improvement and also to improve my future timber harvest. Conservation department, here in Missouri, will pay about 1/2 of the total TSI cost - which is nice!
Not really a problem, but Sweet Gum is very prevalent around here and especially in wetter areas. To me, it's about useless for anything except maybe pulp wood. Extremely wet wood that is a real pain to split even with a log splitter and takes a long time to dry enough to even use for firewood. But those dang sweet gum balls that they drop by the millions are a real pain. I would never have one in my yard.

My 32 acres of pines were originally a corn field that hadn't been planted in close to 30 years. It had grown up in voluntary pines and some other hardwoods, so I clear cut it and planted it properly. Pines, depending on the variety, grow fast and there are a bunch of end uses for them. If managed properly, my grands will hopefully benefit from the income one day...

Reactions: uncle eddie
Those splits in the bottom pic, next to the tailgate in the middle, are good examples of pecan bark.

Pecan is becoming harder to find around here as more and more backyard barbecue people own stickburners.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky