Converting GOSM from Propane to electric

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chauf1974

Original poster
Aug 3, 2017
Hello,

I am new to smoking.I currently have a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain vertical propane smoker that I would like to convert to electric due to fire codes when I moved into an apartment. Looking through many of the custom builds and mods threads I see many people using either hot plate elements or electric skillet elements. My question is why not just use the whole skillet minus the plastic legs etc? That way the element is protected from drips and you have a built in wood tray?

Thank you. @rings, great point about the heat transfer, hadn't thought about that. also on a different form it was pointed out that the skillets are all coated with teflon now and could actually ruin the meat.

I am going to go with motocrash's suggestion. I can just leave propane burner in and remove the electric one when going camping etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky