Coincidental Tuscanish Soup Too

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Fully recognizing that BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma posted an amazing Tuscan Soup and brought back a special post when he bumped jcam222 jcam222 Jeff’s recipe, our resident Soup Maestro, including his epic Garlic Parmesan Biscuits. But this one is a bit of a self depreciating post. I looked at the two recipes and thought that they looked familiar and realized that I’ve done a similar recipe a few times over the past month, but the recipe I’d started from didn’t call it Tuscan Soup so my Midwest brain didn’t make the connection until yesterday🤣

This started when my wife browned a pound of ground Turkey instead of freezing it a few weeks before Thanksgiving and asked me to do something with it. Instead of usual taco seasoning I googled ground Turkey soup recipes and found one that looked like a good start, but they called it “Hearty ground turkey soup with vegetables” I tweaked it a bit and we enjoyed the flavors. Ironically some of the tweaks brought in traditional sausage seasonings.

So here it is, a healthier, Tuscanish Soup…..I think? Whatever it is, my wife loves it!

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 Ib ground Turkey
  • 4 red potatoes quartered
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 medium zucchini squash, chopped
  • 1 bunch stemmed sweet broccoli
  • Hand full sliced baby Bella mushrooms
  • 2-3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 cup White wine
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk, no added sugar
  • Splashes of soy sauce
  • Dashes of chipotle powder
  • 2 sprigs of thyme
  • Bay leaf
  • Tablespoon fresh minced tarragon
  • Dash white wine vinegar
  • 3 cups baby spinach (I’ve excluded this request of SWMBO)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Started with the bacon, once done to desired crisp remove and reserve, leave the grease in for the rest!
43EB4BFA-4226-483C-8A29-B7EA3F1AC8FA.jpeg

Then the onions and shrooms, seasoned a bit!
3803D599-2D36-45C6-962B-85EF981136E7.jpeg

And started throwing in the garlic and veggies from hard to soft, followed by the the dry spice to bloom a bit. My Turkey was browned and in the fridge, this has become leftover soup lately, so once veggies are ready threw in the Turkey!
2974C291-F625-4A68-A6E4-2C517259924A.jpeg

D4F27C00-1597-4407-8626-20F52401855A.jpeg

Deglazed with wine, saved the fond this time! While that was coming to a simmer warmed up coconut milk with tarragon leaves in to infuse flavor a bit and poured it in. Threw in bay and thyme sprigs.
B6BF2027-C657-4ABA-86B0-70AFF658D6C6.jpeg

Then started dashing chipotle, splash of soy, and a bit of the white wine vinegar until it tasted right. Also a lot of Salt and some pepper.

Finally the bowls, topped with the reserved bacon.
BD966F5E-597A-40A8-97E9-DC0C51D1E826.jpeg

9DBDBB8D-6B9B-425F-9D21-B450F05CCC88.jpeg

Like I said, no Spinach in these due to wife's request, I’ll add some to my bowl tomorrow!

I can’t wait to try Brian and Jeff’s recipes! The Turkey is bland so I had to add a lot to liven it up! But, this was delicious and a favorite in our house now.

I appreciate your time!

Top notch Jed, that looks incredible man! Phenomenal, and when the wife likes it… you’re doing good bud! Nice job!

BTW, on the to try list for sure… I do believe my fam would love this… thanks for the recipe!

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw
It was cold here for the last 6 days , warmed up again ,at least above freezing.
northern part of province had big snow storm, missed us completely, still nothing on the ground.

But this is the weather for this beautiful kind of soup. You did a great job following the wife's order
on doing something with the ground turkey.

I could down a bowl or two of that flavourful soup, Jed

David

Excellent soup, Jed. Although not freezing, it is definitely soup weather here. Rainy, overcast, gloomy, cold (by our standards) and we've only seen the sun maybe twice in the last 6 weeks, it's time for some soup or chowder to perk up our spirits some...:emoji_grinning:

Wow Jed! Looks just amazing. I getting back on the low carb thing and these soups are just the thing. I will be turning Jeff Ham Chowder into clam chowder shortly. That soup is so very good also. Check it out.

Top notch Jed, that looks incredible man! Phenomenal, and when the wife likes it… you’re doing good bud! Nice job!

BTW, on the to try list for sure… I do believe my fam would love this… thanks for the recipe!
Thank you Justin! She does like it🤣 I’m thinking Brian and Jeffs would be the better way to go with the sausage, but this works too!
It was cold here for the last 6 days , warmed up again ,at least above freezing.
northern part of province had big snow storm, missed us completely, still nothing on the ground.

But this is the weather for this beautiful kind of soup. You did a great job following the wife's order
on doing something with the ground turkey.

I could down a bowl or two of that flavourful soup, Jed

David
Thank you David! It is soup weather!!!! Not near as bad by D.C. as you have it up there, but it’s a bit chilly and wet, about as bad as I want it anymore! This would be a great starter for your mashed potato meatloaf roll🤣 I appreciate the compliment and your time!
Excellent soup, Jed. Although not freezing, it is definitely soup weather here. Rainy, overcast, gloomy, cold (by our standards) and we've only seen the sun maybe twice in the last 6 weeks, it's time for some soup or chowder to perk up our spirits some...:emoji_grinning:
Thank you! Yes, I’m lucky too, hasn’t hit freezing, but cold dark and wet! The hearty soups help!
Great looking soup! Looks delicious and great for this time of year! Thanks for sharing this!
It is that time of year! Thank you for the compliment and your time!
Wow Jed! Looks just amazing. I getting back on the low carb thing and these soups are just the thing. I will be turning Jeff Ham Chowder into clam chowder shortly. That soup is so very good also. Check it out.
Thank you Brian! Good luck and keep at it! I’m cleansing after new years snd back on a stricter eating plan. The original recipe I found recommended substituting cauliflower for the potatoes to get low carb. The chipotle, soy, coconut amino, vinegar helped boost the flavors a lot. Looking forward to seeing your chowder!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I'm still a bit turkey'ed out from Thanksgiving, but that soup will look mighty good on the table come January or February.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks delicious Jed! We are on your wife's side...baby spinach belongs in a salad lol! Would sure warm the insides...is it too early for brandy? :emoji_blush:

Ryan

I'm still a bit turkey'ed out from Thanksgiving, but that soup will look mighty good on the table come January or February.

Point for sure
Chris
I hear you Chris. I should have added that it doesn’t have any Turkey flavor though, otherwise we wouldn’t be eating it either!
That looks delicious Jed! We are on your wife's side...baby spinach belongs in a salad lol! Would sure warm the insides...is it too early for brandy? :emoji_blush:

Ryan
🤣thank you Ryan! I’m a personal fan of cooked spinach or blanched in soups but my wife hates it…..so, she wins!
Great looking soup. I'd take a bowl or two of it .

Jim
Thank you Jim! You’re welcome anytime!

Great looking soup Jed, I’d certainly have a bowl or two of that! It’s been soup weather here for awhile now, so I’m ready!

Oh my God that looks good!! Hearty, heart-warming, and it had to be delicious. I can see your point about the turkey being boring so needing to amp up the flavor. I like the BTB products for this. They have a LOT of flavor but ya gotta be careful. They can bring a lot of saltiness to a dish. A little bit goes a long way.

Robert

Dang Jed……you had me when you said you start with bacons then add onions and shooms….. then rest and that is a nice bowl of soup!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky