Cleaning a smoker after smoking fish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hopefully someone will chime in with cleaning suggestions, but must say this is why I have 2 smokers dedicated only for fish.  My 3rd smoker is for everything else.

I have never had a problem with fish, no after taste has ever been left. Was your food racks when you are done,the CC never gets cleaned.

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Jeff I see you are new stop by roll call so everyone can give you a warm Welcome. You may want to update your profile location. type of smoke it helps in answering questions Enjoy the site

Will do. When you say the CC never gets cleaned, you mean with a cleanser, right. But you wipe away fat and grease build-up, correct?

I have an Oklahoma Joe's barrel smoker with side firebox. Do you suggest foil lining the bottom half of the barrel? I used to do it but then just started wiping away grease and fat build up after 3 or 4 uses.

I have an Oklahoma Joe's barrel smoker with side firebox. Do you suggest foil lining the bottom half of the barrel? I used to do it but then just started wiping away grease and fat build up after 3 or 4 uses.
Jeff you can foil or throw some  ashes in when done smoking that will take care of any fish oil.

Now this really depends on how much fish we are talking about and what kind of fish. If you do a bunch of salmon a lot it will smell like fish no matter what you do. I have a little chief for fish.

OK. Fish would be a relatively rare thing for me, so probably no a huge issue. I'll just foil line the CC when I do.
Yep, a little fish won't hurt anything. I sometimes do a lot of fish for days on end when I get lucky so I do have a little chief for that and it is pretty neat for deviled eggs and jerky and stuff too.

With the amount of Salmon we catch and smoke each year, I couldn't imagine smoking anything other than Salmon in my two Big chiefs.  They would be very upset with me.

Never smoked fish, but what I heard was if you do much you really need a dedicated smoker

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky