Cleaning a smoker after smoking fish

Discussion in 'Fish' started by jeff decker, Apr 16, 2015.

1. I have never smoked fish before. Is there any special cleaning needs to prevent future meats from having a fishy character.?

2. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hopefully someone will chime in with cleaning suggestions, but must say this is why I have 2 smokers dedicated only for fish.  My 3rd smoker is for everything else.

3. Not a bad idea. Would give me an excuse forgetting another one.

4. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I have never had a problem with fish, no after taste has ever been left. Was your food racks when you are done,the CC never gets cleaned.

5. Thanks. I appreciate it.

6. tropics

Jeff I see you are new stop by roll call so everyone can give you a warm Welcome. You may want to update your profile location. type of smoke it helps in answering questions Enjoy the site

7. Will do. When you say the CC never gets cleaned, you mean with a cleanser, right. But you wipe away fat and grease build-up, correct?

8. tropics

CC= Cooking Chamber

9. tropics

Jeff yes I foil my drip pans and anything that can get dripped on,I have an MES 40 ( Masterbuilt Electric)

10. I have an Oklahoma Joe's barrel smoker with side firebox. Do you suggest foil lining the bottom half of the barrel? I used to do it but then just started wiping away grease and fat build up after 3 or 4 uses.

11. tropics

Jeff you can foil or throw some  ashes in when done smoking that will take care of any fish oil.

12. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Now this really depends on how much fish we are talking about and what kind of fish. If you do a bunch of salmon a lot it will smell like fish no matter what you do. I have a little chief for fish.

13. OK. Fish would be a relatively rare thing for me, so probably no a huge issue. I'll just foil line the CC when I do.

14. timberjet

Yep, a little fish won't hurt anything. I sometimes do a lot of fish for days on end when I get lucky so I do have a little chief for that and it is pretty neat for deviled eggs and jerky and stuff too.

15. Nice. A fisherman I take it. Thanks for the advice.

16. timberjet

I hunt and fish. Not as much as I once did but I still love it.

17. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

With the amount of Salmon we catch and smoke each year, I couldn't imagine smoking anything other than Salmon in my two Big chiefs.  They would be very upset with me.

18. Never smoked fish, but what I heard was if you do much you really need a dedicated smoker

Gary

19. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Huh?