Chuck Roast Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
I found a couple of chuck roasts in the clearance section at the grocery store this week. I'd never tried smoking chuck, but thought "What the heck?" for $1.29/lb.

My intent was to make pulled beef sandwiches.

One roast was a chuck crossrib and the other was a chuck tender. Both were about 2 lbs.

I seasoned them up with some SPOG and threw them in the smoker at 250° with an amazen tube full of mesquite.

Meanwhile I whipped up a batch of slaw, then headed to the brewery for a few beers with a good friend.

When I came back, the temps were at 198° on the crossrib and 203° on the tender. Both were probe tender, so I pulled them and let 'em rest for an hour.

During that hour, another buddy came over for Monday Night Football, and he brought over some corn tortillas, avocados, and salsa. Sandwiches just became tacos at that point.

They pulled like a dream with just my fingers. But I was surprised that the crossrib was much more tender and moist than the tender roast. I would have thought the opposite, but I was glad to have experimented and found out.

I piled the meat on the tortillas with some slaw, avocado, onion, and salsa. Mmmm!

20181217 (1).jpg 20181217 (2).jpg

Wow! Looks Great!
I looked at your pictures up close.
Man that is one very well seasoned smoker!
And it sounds like my kind of way to pass the time during a cook... LOL!

Nice! You will be hooked now hahaha.

You squeeze a little lime on that and you can't get any better :)

When I make beef like that for tacos I usually add a little cumin for sure and sometimes some chili powder. Honestly though with all the fixings on the taco like salsa, avocado, lime juice, etc. you probably found out that the extra spices aren't necessary. SPOG is killer as it is and the fixings add the rest of the taco flavor :)

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Pretty good looking chuckie there Preacher. I just did one recently and did a ragu with it. Looking at those tacos I want to do that with the next one. Point.

Nice! You will be hooked now hahaha.

You squeeze a little lime on that and you can't get any better :)

When I make beef like that for tacos I usually add a little cumin for sure and sometimes some chili powder. Honestly though with all the fixings on the taco like salsa, avocado, lime juice, etc. you probably found out that the extra spices aren't necessary. SPOG is killer as it is and the fixings add the rest of the taco flavor :)
Heck yeah! I should've plated it with a lime for aesthetics and mentioned it in the thread, but there's definitely a lime squeezed on top.

You nailed it with the flavors. The more I learn, the less I like to add with spices and just let SPOG and the meat work it's relationship out and then go out and have a blast with its friends.

Yes it is, I smoked it to the same point in a beef broth and red wine mix, and then shredded and mixed with onions diced tomatoes celery, carrots and mushrooms. Serve with flat noodles of some type. I don't have a pic so I grabbed one on the net. A nice filling hearty dish. Congrats on the carousel ride.
Beef-Ragu-11a.jpg

Last edited:
Pulled beef is a winner no matter how it's served. Nice Job.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky