Chorizo Need Replacement

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I just finished the last of my Johnsville ground Chorizo sausage. Can no longer buy it around here. It was the only one I tried that I really liked. Most to greasy and not great flavor. I might have to learn how to make. Any suggestions?

I liked their chorizo .
I have a AC Leggs mix . It's not bad . I use it more for taco / Mexican seasoning . I will mix it up and freeze as bulk sausage . Better like that than in a link .
Has some mild spice to it .
Before cooking .
1677703652651.jpeg

This is my go to way to use it when I link it up . It's really pretty good , just always seemed on the dry side , but we like it like this .
1677703761000.jpeg

2 guys and a cooler mexican chorizo......
That would work! I should make sausage other than breakfast. It's only me and only takes me a couple links. I buy it down in Plano at a meat market but the prices lately make me want to do my own now. Their sausage's are the best though.

That would work! I should make sausage other than breakfast. It's only me and only takes me a couple links. I buy it down in Plano at a meat market but the prices lately make me want to do my own now. Their sausage's are the best though.
Come on Brian theirs used to be the best until you started making your own now yours are the best :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I just finished the last of my Johnsville ground Chorizo sausage. Can no longer buy it around here. It was the only one I tried that I really liked. Most to greasy and not great flavor. I might have to learn how to make. Any suggestions?
If you like Chorizo in links then you are likely looking for more of the Spanish version.

The Mexican version is very very fatty/greasy and doesn't come in links.

They are 2 different sausages that are similar but used differently in my experience.

Figured I would share this with you as not all people know the difference between the Spanish (from Spain) vs the Mexican versions :)

FYI, the Mexican version makes the most amazing refried beans!!!! All of that grease used to fry the beans and the meat like becomes part of the bean mush where you often can't tell the difference between bean and meat texture. It's sooooooo goood. You don't get that with the Spanish version, but the Spanish version is an actual linked sausage that can do link sausage things.

Different usages for each one :)

Reactions: dls1 and indaswamp
If you like Chorizo in links then you are likely looking for more of the Spanish version.

The Mexican version is very very fatty/greasy and doesn't come in links.

They are 2 different sausages that are similar but used differently in my experience.

Figured I would share this with you as not all people know the difference between the Spanish (from Spain) vs the Mexican versions :)

FYI, the Mexican version makes the most amazing refried beans!!!! All of that grease used to fry the beans and the meat like becomes part of the bean mush where you often can't tell the difference between bean and meat texture. It's sooooooo goood. You don't get that with the Spanish version, but the Spanish version is an actual linked sausage that can do link sausage things.

Different usages for each one :)
tallbm - Your experience is a bit different than mine.

In Spain, the chorizo is prepared as fresh (fresco) sausage or cured (curado). The fresh can be prepared either in bulk form or in links, while the cured is, obviously, in links that are aged for an extended period of time. For obvious reasons, the only Spanish chorizo you'll see offered in the U.S. is the cured one.

Mexican chorizo is fresh (fresco) and can be produced and sold in both bulk or link form. I suppose it could be cured but I've never seen that offered in the U.S, or even in Mexico.

While the fresh versions of both the Spanish and Mexican versions are similar in style, the differ significantly in composition and flavor. I occasionally make fresh Spanish chorizo using a recipe given to me by a friend who's a major producer of Iberican charcuterie products in Spain, but I've never bothered making the Mexican version as I have many good sources readily available where I live.

Is there Meijers stores in your area? For commercial chorizo their store brand bulk is the best. Most of the stuff is 90% fat, theirs is much leaner and a coarser grind.

tallbm - Your experience is a bit different than mine.

In Spain, the chorizo is prepared as fresh (fresco) sausage or cured (curado). The fresh can be prepared either in bulk form or in links, while the cured is, obviously, in links that are aged for an extended period of time. For obvious reasons, the only Spanish chorizo you'll see offered in the U.S. is the cured one.

Mexican chorizo is fresh (fresco) and can be produced and sold in both bulk or link form. I suppose it could be cured but I've never seen that offered in the U.S, or even in Mexico.

While the fresh versions of both the Spanish and Mexican versions are similar in style, the differ significantly in composition and flavor. I occasionally make fresh Spanish chorizo using a recipe given to me by a friend who's a major producer of Iberican charcuterie products in Spain, but I've never bothered making the Mexican version as I have many good sources readily available where I live.

I'm sure our experiences would be different :D

Brian and I are here in Texas and in the same region. What we will see in our area is basically what I was explaining. Other areas will surely differ.

I haven't been to all parts of TX but the areas I have been, you won't see a linked Mexican Chorizo, its all bulk OR it's in packages that look like links but that is just how the plastic is formed. No actually casing or links lol, it's silly.

When you find the links around here it is the different taste and texture which is more like linked Spanish chorizo you would get in a Spanish restaurant and the Johnsonville ones are more like the Spanish version versus our very abundant Mexican version.

I should have noted this about our region where he will be buying.

I do liked the cured drived Spanish chorizo but it's hard to come by. I would have to get it from a fancy store that happens to carry it or from a restaurant that is including it in a charcuterie board, but that stuff is goooooood!

Hopefully this gives you some insight on the stuff in my area and definitely where my experiences come from :D

Is there Meijers stores in your area? For commercial chorizo their store brand bulk is the best. Most of the stuff is 90% fat, theirs is much leaner and a coarser grind.
We don't have them here. Starting to get pretty limited now as Kroger bought out Albertson's which really pisses my off.

I've heard good things at PS Seasonings they have 2 mixes 1 for smoked & 1 for fresh, I have not tried them.

We don't have them here. Starting to get pretty limited now as Kroger bought out Albertson's which really pisses my off.
I hope they don't mess with my lovely Tom Thumb stores much... but eventually they will. I love Tom Thumb!

Good meat and produce. A little too expensive for the Walmart crowd and not high end enough for the whole foods crowd. Never any real lines in the stores either. I love it!

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
HEB mi tienda chorizo. Thank me later. View attachment 659185
There is supposed to be an HEB in Frisco and I think one in Plano now too. Haven't put my eyes on them. Beyond that you will have to drive way south of Dallas. Maybe their Central Market store will have it, but that's south of Plano and Frisco anyhow lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky