Chipotle, potato, and cheese pie, with a bacon crust!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Yep, you read it right. Saw someone do a potato and cheese pie and figured I'd amp it up a bit!

Laid bacon in a pie tin, added cheese and sliced taters, then added a mixture of cooked chorizo, onion, and garlic, the more taters and cheese.

Placed the excess bacon over the top, and into the grill. I was at the marina, no smokers there, I can only have an electric grill.

2.75 hours later, I fell in love!

Pics are out of order, ipad does that to me sometimes, but you get the idea!

That looks good, will give this one a try! What temp did you cook at?

I'm guessing it was around 300. Why am I guessing? Well, look at the 3rd pic and you'll see where my lid thermo was buried in the top of the pie! :sausage:

The setting I had the controller on generally runs about 275-300.

By the way, this was a standard size pie tin and it took over 1.5 pounds of bacon.

Thanks folks!

The bride and I just shared the last piece and it was even better today! I was asked by a neighbor at the marina why I used chorizo, well, I had some that I had made and it just begged to be used in something besides eggs.

A PM question I got was how did I precook the chorizo, garlic, and onions. Sliced the onions, minced 3 cloves of garlic, started sweating down the onion an garlic in bacon grease, and then added the chorizo and cooked until the chorizo was done and the onions were almost translucent. Mixed it all together well and put it on top of the first layer of potatoes.

Since the chorizo typically has a lot of grease on its own, I poured the chorizo/onion/ garlic mix into a bowl lined with a LOT of paper towels to soak a lot of it up. Worked really well.

Hey CB

I gotta tell you--that looks sooooooo good.  The sliced in half pic had me mesmerized.

This is definitely worth   
points.gif

Gary

Sounds like a heart clogging good time! I'm in...JJ
yahoo.gif

Gary, it's truly amazing!

Jimmy, I explained this to people the same way I explain a fatty...  After you eat it, if you sit really still in a quiet place, you can hear your arteries hardening!  
sausage.gif

You've got to be kidding me... WOWWWWWWWW..... questions.... how was the bacon on the bottom ? Did the potato slices cook through ? just cooked by visual for doneness ? certainly worth the points you received ..

That looks soooo good ,it's got be Illegal.

99 out of 100 cardiologists DONT recommend it!

You've got to be kidding me... WOWWWWWWWW..... questions.... how was the bacon on the bottom ? Did the potato slices cook through ? just cooked by visual for doneness ? certainly worth the points you received ..

The pan I used was a standard throw away aluminum pie tin. Since I was doing this on an electric grill, I placed the full tin into an empty one, except, I took foil and wadded it up into 4 balls about 1" in diameter. That held the top pan up a bit to prevent burning. After the creation was complete, I poked a hole in the bottom of the full tin so the grease could drain into the lower one.

I tested for doneness of the potatoes by poking a skewer into the top and into the potatoes. When the pie is done, you flip it over onto a cutting board to slice. The top, which was the bottom, was quite crisp.

Man, that creation has to win the "Creative Use of the Pantry" award of the YEAR!  Impressive!

I can't take credit for the original idea, I just built on it. The original just used potatoes and cheese, how boring! Next time, I'll add eggs in with it for a great hangover cure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky