Chicken in the Side box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
Smoked a spatchcock chicken for the neighbors. Used the Lang converted warming box. Removed the defuser plate and opened one baffle between the firebox and warmer box halfway. Ran the temperature at 300°F and pulled the yard bird when the thigh hit 175°fm
20210613_130720.jpg
20210613_153237.jpg
20210613_160903.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome Dutch. I got fire in the hole today too.

Reactions: Dutch
Very nice! What’s the overall set up for cooking on your warming box? I’m saving some minor metal work done on the reverse flow plate near the firebox. I’d possibly make changes that would allow shorter / smaller smokes in the warmer.

Reactions: Dutch
I have 2 baffles between the firebox and the box and a defuser plate that sits on the bottom of the warmer box when it's actually being used as a warmer box and there is a baffle between the smoke chamber and the warmer box.
With the firebox baffles closed and the defuser plate in place the temperature seldom gets above 160°F. With everything open and the plate removed, I can get temps above 300°F.

Reactions: jcam222
Nice job, Dutch. I bet your neighbors enjoyed that meal.
Gary
They sure did. The neighbors that got the yardbird watched our place while we were out of town. Ma Dutch saw them after church and told them that we were providing the meat for their dinner. They had no idea what they were getting.

My neighbor commented on how easy it was to split his chicken and wanted to know what I do that's different than what he does.
After splitting the chicken, I'll cut the rib bones on both sides of the keel (breast) bone and remove the keel bone and the cartilage.
The chicken lays flatter. If I'm not pressed for time, I'll remove the rib bones so the entire breast is boneless. The only bones left in the chicken are in the thigh, legs and wings. I like to save up the bones in the freezer and when I have a couple of pounds of bones, I'll make chicken stock with them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky