• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chicken in the Side box

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Smoked a spatchcock chicken for the neighbors. Used the Lang converted warming box. Removed the defuser plate and opened one baffle between the firebox and warmer box halfway. Ran the temperature at 300°F and pulled the yard bird when the thigh hit 175°fm
20210613_130720.jpg
20210613_153237.jpg
20210613_160903.jpg

Last edited:

bbqbrett

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 17, 2013
Sounds like you have some lucky neighbors. Looks really good, great color.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
Awesome Dutch. I got fire in the hole today too.

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Very nice! What’s the overall set up for cooking on your warming box? I’m saving some minor metal work done on the reverse flow plate near the firebox. I’d possibly make changes that would allow shorter / smaller smokes in the warmer.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
I have 2 baffles between the firebox and the box and a defuser plate that sits on the bottom of the warmer box when it's actually being used as a warmer box and there is a baffle between the smoke chamber and the warmer box.
With the firebox baffles closed and the defuser plate in place the temperature seldom gets above 160°F. With everything open and the plate removed, I can get temps above 300°F.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like Dutch it is appreciated.

I could eat that bird as is no sides needed.

Warren

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Nice job, Dutch. I bet your neighbors enjoyed that meal.
Gary

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Nice job, Dutch. I bet your neighbors enjoyed that meal.
Gary
They sure did. The neighbors that got the yardbird watched our place while we were out of town. Ma Dutch saw them after church and told them that we were providing the meat for their dinner. They had no idea what they were getting.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Awesome job Dutch!
Love that mod!
Al

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
My neighbor commented on how easy it was to split his chicken and wanted to know what I do that's different than what he does.
After splitting the chicken, I'll cut the rib bones on both sides of the keel (breast) bone and remove the keel bone and the cartilage.
The chicken lays flatter. If I'm not pressed for time, I'll remove the rib bones so the entire breast is boneless. The only bones left in the chicken are in the thigh, legs and wings. I like to save up the bones in the freezer and when I have a couple of pounds of bones, I'll make chicken stock with them.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.